• AXPONA 2016 - Chicago : 15 Apr 2016 - 17 Apr 2016

AXPONA 2016 April 15-17

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: AXPONA 2016 April 15-17
« Reply #140 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:37 pm »
Pete - calling it stretching makes it a much better story 8)
Anyways, It was really nice to meet you. The room was great and I really liked that you threw in all kind of music to give us a good feel for the system. It didn't matter what you played, it still sounded good. Even when you cranked it up loud, still sounded just as good with no fatiguing issue. Lots of emotion in this system. Thank you for a great show! Next time I need to make sure to stay longer.

Hey Odal3,
Edited as per your suggestion!!! Thanks!

It was a pleasure to meet you as well!  :thumb: I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes!

Cheers,
Pete

md92468

« Reply #141 on: 21 Apr 2016, 05:26 pm »
Speaking of budget speakers - after hours we ran TomS's LIO to the Spatial M3 Turbo open baffle speakers.  $2600.  Really?
I asked Clayton again, and he said yes.  Wow!    BIG sound at a killer price!

Believe it or not, Vinnie, the M4s (little brother to the M3s) are $1000 less and give you quite a bit of the same sound signature and performance...I've had the M4 Turbo Ss for a few weeks now, and they just keep getting better and better. it's a great time to be an audiophile on a budget.

Very glad the LIO is doing well for you...when we met and spoke at RMAF in 2014 you had a display prototype to tease us, but we didn't get to hear it (although I did get a really cool t-shirt out of the deal ;). As an early Red Wine customer, I can only imagine how great it sounds with the M3/4...hope to find out one day.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #142 on: 21 Apr 2016, 07:26 pm »
Believe it or not, Vinnie, the M4s (little brother to the M3s) are $1000 less and give you quite a bit of the same sound signature and performance...I've had the M4 Turbo Ss for a few weeks now, and they just keep getting better and better. it's a great time to be an audiophile on a budget.

Very glad the LIO is doing well for you...when we met and spoke at RMAF in 2014 you had a display prototype to tease us, but we didn't get to hear it (although I did get a really cool t-shirt out of the deal ;). As an early Red Wine customer, I can only imagine how great it sounds with the M3/4...hope to find out one day.

Hi md92468,

Thank you - and the M4's sound like a steal!

Hope you can make it to the Newport Beach, CA show or the RMAF this year!

Vinnie

Odal3

« Reply #143 on: 22 Apr 2016, 02:54 am »
If you're not bored of my biased ramblings yet, here is some more:

Odyssey

My expectations for the Odyssey room was sky high before the show so I wanted to make sure to get there early in the day to allow a long listen.

Room was treated on corners and sides plus cloth hanging down over equipment table. While some rooms where packed with chairs, this room only had 3 chairs. One middle front and 2 right behind - I guess to really make sure it was set up for the best possible sound...and it surely was nice.  I asked to hear something crazy good when I had the sweet spot, and he put on a depressing song I had never heard before, and WOW! We're now getting into the goose bump category. They almost had to push me out of the chair since I didn't want to leave. Yes, it was that good. I'm not that good explaining sound, so I will shamelessly steal this from Hometheatershack: "Klaus also knows how to set up a room at an audio show. This year he gave us the most expansive soundstage, absolutely wall-bursting, with precise imaging, a room I just wanted to stay in and have fun with. Odyssey Audio's room this year is definitely THE SOUNDSTAGE AND IMAGING ROOM OF THE YEAR for AXPONA 2016." I couldn't agree more. Definitely one of the best room of the show.

(BTW: They have many nice photos from a lot of rooms: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/gtg-clubs-associations-audio-fests/147546-audio-expo-north-america-axpona-2016-show-report-2.html#post1435010)

Shortly after we left the Odyssey room, we ventured over to hear the Wilson Audio Alexx room. It just happened that they played the same  song we had just heard in the Odyssey room (Riders on the storm). My friend and I just looked at each other and the magic we had just experienced over at the Odyssey room, where nowhere to be found.

Odal3

« Reply #144 on: 22 Apr 2016, 03:42 am »
Vapor

The Vapor room was another room I had looked forward to. I really really wanted to hear one of their big speakers, but the room was probably too small for them so I hope I will get another chance soon.

Anyways, what was presented was very good too. The cabinets are absolutely amazing. The pictures posted online doesn't do them justice. You have to see them in person. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good listen. There was a couple in the room at the same time as us, and it looked like they were doing the final listen before making a purchase decision. I didn't want to disturb too much but after listening to only strings for a very long time and when they politely asked to repeat the violin intro for the 2nd or 3rd time, we were running out of time since it was late Sunday afternoon and had to move on. So I'm probably the only one who can say that I have only heard vapor speakers playing 200-250hz and higher and have no idea how their famous low-end sounds.

Next time, this will be the first room I will go to.

Anyone know when and where the bigger master pieces will be on display?

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #145 on: 22 Apr 2016, 04:17 am »
Folsom, Odal et al...thanks a mill guys...blush...

Anyway, my thoughts and 6 cents:

1.  The show itself was stellar, one of the best in the last years...sound was more than good, (somehow hit the wow setup for myself), and having had the Liquids go down  was a blessing in disguise(and I had them in my trailer, driving the 3 hours myself, unpacking them myself, setting them up myself...I'm an idiot), as the Kismets just gelled with the room...and busyyyyyyy...Sunday was the only day where the room wasn't full pretty much all day.  Incredible traffic.

2.  It was also spectacularly successful for us...and thanks to all of our existing and new customers who again will make my life work-centric in the next months...guys, I've got to take my baby out more than the paltry 400 miles from last year.......aaaaaargh.

3. Nitty gritty for this thread:  Folsom did an absolutely fantastic and necessary job in defining ahead of write ups as to his bias, taste, and definitions....guys, I don't want to be a dick,  but after each and every single show I read hundreds of comments, how you like this or how that room was insufficient, etc....meaningless...nice that you have this opinion carved out for yourself in what is also a quite meaningless, usually a minute or two exposure to certain gear, exposure of equipment x, y/ z....of course you want to opine on what you heard...it's our hobby, and dammit, communication is fun,  but if you take this seriously, and you have a best 5 or top ten list etc., then at least be upfront about your preferences and / or honest about listening to only a fraction on what people spent a lot of money, time, work, and (hopefully) love to set up.......just saying.....

4.  Back to Folsom....I'm completely with you as to what you're into...quick explanation on my side, and, of course just for Odyssey gear as I can't speak for others....with the biasing of the amps, and the on-axis changes of the speakers in a true nearfield situation like Axpona, I'm actually able to change the character somewhat, and within reason.....I'm preaching especially the biasing part for decades, and I'm still amazed how many completely ignorant manufacturer there are.....so, I completely, 100 % agree with HTshack, and am grateful they picked up upon this...focused straight as an arrow on tone, huge and layered 3 d staging, and goosebumps....on the other hand, more detailed outlines and "drive" would have been easily achievable,  but that's not what I was after, as I wanted to show that this 3D presentation is indeed possible in a shitty hotel room....

5. There is still wayyyy too much snobbism in this hobby....it's a hobby industry, and while music and good performances can lift one's mood and soul, it's not world peace or a cure for cancer...be proud, but don't be arrogant.....

6. Actually, the room only had 2 chairs...the 3rd was for myself, in my little corner, but some  always, always, always stole it every time I got up to change a record......bastards

7.  The VPI Avenger is nice, nice, nice

8 And yes,  papa bear has to admit,  he's a hugger.....and Vinnie, I'll get you in Newport...a promise and a threat, heheheheheheee

9. Is this freaking real ????  All our icons gone in the last year or two, and now Prince ???  OK, guys in their 70's and 80's,  understood, but this stream of musical giants of all ages is getting too much.....

Rock on,

Klaus

« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2016, 07:22 am by klaus@odyssey »

mirekti

« Reply #146 on: 5 May 2016, 01:20 am »
...and if we're talking next year, there will be
other surprises by then!  :eyebrows:

Will you post somewhere what else is in the pipeline or it is to early to say?