LS-9 and LS-6 digital crossover interest

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: LS-9 and LS-6 digital crossover interest
« Reply #100 on: 6 Jul 2016, 03:17 am »
As Chris has stated, there is a dspMusik RevD system under development.  It will have minimum phase A/D conversion and new D/A conversion since Wolfson Micro was purchased by Cirrus Logic and no new production is available and existing stock is going up in price.

The question will be how it sounds as a system.  That is unknown since no software is running for testing.  Time will tell and the length is unknown.
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2016, 10:50 am by HAL »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #101 on: 6 Jul 2016, 11:00 am »
On the question about the A/D converters for analog inputs, I know four installed systems using it for phono, dpd, woodsyi and Avoosl and mine.  These all have very good phono stages and table setups.  There are various opinions on this from all four. 

I took all those comments to Danville Signal and that led to the RevD's new ADC module development for analog.  As with any new development the length of time is indeterminate as to when it will be complete.   I for one am not holding my breath and use the RevC every day.

Hope that gives you some insight to the status.  Luckily we have the RevC units until that is done and tested.   

DeeJayBump

« Reply #102 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:20 am »
Chris (Forest Dweller):

Great room, thanks for the impressions and pics.

Congrats, it must sound amazing.

Rich (HAL):

When (or will?) DSD/DFF native playback capability be available on Music Server systems/DACs?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #103 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:39 am »
The MS-3 running Foobar2000 will playback Native DSD files with a DSD DAC.  Have done it with an EMM Labs DAC2X. Amanero USB board and I2S Bus DSD DAC and Gustard X20u with their USB drivers. 

You cannot signal process DSD signals in a DSP processor for a digital crossover, so it has to be converted to PCM first.   That is what is done with the MS-3 and dspMusik.  So the answer is the dspMusik will never do Native DSD playback.  It sounds excellent with Foobar2000 downsampling it to PCM to play.

Rich

DeeJayBump

« Reply #104 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:58 am »
Thanks Rich (HAL).

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #105 on: 9 Jul 2016, 01:18 am »
THROWBACK stopped by the CAF2016 room today for a listen to the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik setup. 

Showed me a picture of his LS-9's and 3x12 servo sub arrays with his system.  Very nice system setup.  Good to chat with him for awhile.

stu

« Reply #106 on: 11 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm »
Well, it is good to see Chris (forest dweller) getting to do something other than work. Seems like he is always working. And he has done a great job on his room and system. I am sure Rich's new gizmos are well worth the effort.  Maybe one day I will work up the courage to try that system on my LS-9's too.  Chris called me last month and I think we talked about 2 hours. He was giving me the details about the cross-over, etc. He also convinced me to go to RMAF this year, so I have my ticket and hotel room. It will be good to see him, Rich, and Danny again.

Until then, take care,
Mark

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #107 on: 11 Jul 2016, 11:24 pm »
Mark,
Good to hear.

Have my plans set to be there as well, so see you both in October.

Rich

stu

« Reply #108 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:14 pm »
I did assume that you were going Rich. Now all we have to do is convince Chris to bring his LS-9's and set them up in his hotel room so I can hear the new crossovers.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #109 on: 15 Jul 2016, 09:53 pm »
The Pocket CLIO measurement system is back from Forest Dweller and he should have his computer back to run the dspMusik by Monday.

He has more listening comments to post once he has more time to write them up. 

THROWBACK

« Reply #110 on: 16 Jul 2016, 12:44 pm »
I live only 50 miles from RMAF. For the last couple of years Danny has made a stop here on his way from Texas to the Show to scarf a Chick-fil-A (health nut). You LS-9 guys are welcome to do the same. Worse-to-worst we could dip down here for a listen.

http://www.audiocircle.com/thumbnails/user/57012/19949/139850_thumbnail.jpeg

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #111 on: 16 Jul 2016, 01:49 pm »
THROWBACK,
Sounds like a fun time to me.

If interested, I can always bring an MS-3 and dspMusik to demo like I did at CAF2016 that you heard, with your LS-9's.

We can even try the time delays between the mains and servo subs with the setup if interested.

Just a thought.

THROWBACK

« Reply #112 on: 16 Jul 2016, 02:24 pm »
THROWBACK,
Sounds like a fun time to me.
If interested, I can always bring an MS-3 and dspMusik to demo like I did at CAF2016 that you heard, with your LS-9's.
We can even try the time delays between the mains and servo subs with the setup if interested.
Just a thought.

Now that DOES sound like fun, Rich. I could get some of the guys together, etc. Why don't you PM me your schedule and let's see what we could work out.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #113 on: 16 Jul 2016, 03:05 pm »
Will do.

Best,
Rich

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #114 on: 8 Aug 2016, 01:48 am »
Ok, planning to take a MS-3 and dspMusik demo system to CO with the LS-9 digital crossover for triamping with the 3x12 OB servo subs. 

Just updated the MS-3 to the latest build of Windows 10, as the MS-2 update went well.

This should be interesting!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #115 on: 23 Dec 2016, 09:49 pm »
Well after dislocating, my left leg on the way to the airport for RMAF2016, did not make the show or demo at THROWBACK's place with the setup.

However, the latest dspMusik RevD system is at Forest Dweller's for trials with his LS-9's.  This is the unit that was demo'd at RMAF2016 with the MS-3.  He already has a RevC system running his speakers, so this will be interesting for feedback. 

Hopefully he gets some time off during the holidays to give it a listen.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #116 on: 27 Mar 2017, 07:52 pm »
Forest Dweller has the new dspMusik RevD digital crossover and HiRez DAC in his system with the ACA / Skiing Ninja rebuilt LS-9's. 

Had a nice chat last night with him and he is now the owner of the new system. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #117 on: 27 Mar 2017, 08:39 pm »
Sounds like a winner

THROWBACK

« Reply #118 on: 28 Mar 2017, 01:50 pm »
Um . . . "Rebuilt LS-9s?" Just the crossover?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #119 on: 28 Mar 2017, 01:57 pm »
The passive crossovers were moved outside and extra speaker terminals added to allow the comparison to the dspMusik digital crossover with the 4 monoblock Brystons.