Linked Events

• AXPONA 2014: 25 Apr 2014 - 27 Apr 2014

AXPONA - 2014 Chicago 4-25, 26, 27- 2014

OzarkTom

Re: AXPONA - 2014 Chicago 4-25, 26, 27- 2014
« Reply #60 on: 13 Apr 2014, 01:37 am »
Tom,
Randy (rklein) bought Dan's show model so I will be picking it up and bringing it home.  I will listen to it before giving to Randy (payback is a b***, he's had my Bent TAP and cables for close to a year).  :)  I am also getting Vinnie's mod 3 (likely after Axpona) so the fun will begin.

Sounds good. :thumb:

dburna

« Reply #61 on: 21 Apr 2014, 10:25 pm »
A couple items of interest for AXPONA on Friday, April 25th.  I plan to be there all day on Friday and hope to meet other AC members.  If you see me in the hall(s), stop me and say hello.  Here's why:

1. I am going to be doing my own little in-person AC Karma event.  I'm bringing a bag of CDs and would like to come home without them.  I am giving them away to AC members (only) as a way to say thanks for all of your kindnesses and advice.  They're all good CDs in good-to-excellent shape, but I don't want to go through the hassle of selling them.  Besides, some of these are DVD-A's and DualDiscs -- no one but audio-phools know what to do with those anyway.   :lol:

Be forewarned: I have eclectic taste in music, so these discs are all over the map, genre-wise.  No matter who you are, there should be something of interest for you.....and hey, the price is right.

2. I am bringing along some brochures to do some awareness-raising about a charity organization that is near-&-dear to my heart: Little Kids Rock.  They have "branches" in multiple cities throughout the US.  Their mission: provide free instruments and lessons to underprivileged and inner-city youth.  I went to an event in NYC last year and the pride/joy on the faces of the kids was a sight to behold.  Truly touching.

Note: I am doing awareness-raising, not fund-raising.  I don't want anyone to avoid me because they think I will hit them up for money/time/their girlfriend's phone number.  I'll have some 4x8" cards for people interested in learning more, but that's it.  I just want people to know about an organization that is bringing the joy of music performance to those who have little other access to same.  And for you local folks, there is a Chicago chapter that is doing some great things in our "little urban paradise on the Lake".

Oh, and no long-winded sales pitches from me either...even if I had one (I don't).  I am at AXPONA to listen to new gear, just like everyone else.

Little Kids Rock website: www.littlekidsrock.org

Thanks for reading.  I am looking forward to meeting more AC folks on Friday.

-dB

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #62 on: 21 Apr 2014, 10:47 pm »
I'll look out for a Mr Esseguie. :wink:
Hope we have a great show at the new venue.

AJ,

Which speakers do you plan on showing at Axpona?  Enjoyed your newer floor standers at Cap Audio Fest last year, but only had enough time for a short listen.   

ltr317

« Reply #63 on: 22 Apr 2014, 04:15 am »
dburna,

Will you have a name tag with that moniker?  I hope to see some AC people too.  I'll be wearing a press pass with my real name. 

Cheers,
Paul Mah

dburna

« Reply #64 on: 22 Apr 2014, 10:51 am »
dburna,

Will you have a name tag with that moniker?  I hope to see some AC people too.  I'll be wearing a press pass with my real name. 

Cheers,
Paul Mah

If I don't have one, I am going to create one.  Hope to see you there.

Regards,

Dave Burna

roscoeiii

« Reply #65 on: 22 Apr 2014, 01:33 pm »
Yes there will be name tags. Here's hoping folks put their AC names on theirs.

Hope to see many of y'all there. Will be up for hanging out Friday night. But I am out on Saturday night. I have tickets to see 2 concerts that night!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 22 Apr 2014, 01:40 pm »
Yes there will be name tags. Here's hoping folks put their AC names on theirs.

Hope to see many of y'all there. Will be up for hanging out Friday night. But I am out on Saturday night. I have tickets to see 2 concerts that night!
Depending on what type of concerts, you mgiht consider hearing protection using the ETY's.    They're nice as they reduce the volume -12dB which is nice for rock concerts but you don't loose the experience.  Oh, and they're cost effective.   ;)

Love,
mom

roscoeiii

« Reply #67 on: 22 Apr 2014, 01:52 pm »
Depending on what type of concerts, you mgiht consider hearing protection using the ETY's.    They're nice as they reduce the volume -12dB which is nice for rock concerts but you don't loose the experience.  Oh, and they're cost effective.   ;)

Love,
mom

Don't worry mom, I have a custom pair of plugs from Sensaphonics, AND I keep a backup pair of Etys on my keychain. Concerts are Horse Feathers and Black Lips.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 22 Apr 2014, 01:55 pm »
Don't worry mom, I have a custom pair of plugs from Sensaphonics, AND I keep a backup pair of Etys on my keychain. Concerts are Horse Feathers and Black Lips.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #69 on: 22 Apr 2014, 11:45 pm »
My first time going..... any "do not miss" rooms?
Salk is on my list so far.

roscoeiii

« Reply #70 on: 22 Apr 2014, 11:53 pm »
Well, it depend what you are looking for. Do you know the mind of sound you prefer and are I.terested in the best example of that kind? Or do.you want to sample the broadest range of speakers possible, even if some sound signatures aren't your cup of tea?

You will also find that talking to ACers at the show will get you some recommendations on excellent sounding set-ups.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #71 on: 23 Apr 2014, 12:18 am »
Hi, Bob2.

This is my first time, too. :D :thumb:

I've got so many rooms to visit that I've forgotten half already. My brain tells me I want to visit the following (but reality will probably be much less): Salk/AVA, Vapor, Accuton, Auralic, Daedalus, German Physiks, Jolida, LampizatOr, Legacy, Madisound, Magico, Modwright, TriodeWireLabs, ScanSpeak/SEAS, SimAudio, Soundfield Audio, Zu Audio. I'm sure I've forgotten a couple.

I feel like a kid entering Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for the first time. It's a shame I don't have an unlimited budget.  :|

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #72 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:27 am »
AJ,

Which speakers do you plan on showing at Axpona?  Enjoyed your newer floor standers at Cap Audio Fest last year, but only had enough time for a short listen.

I'm bringing my M2 standmounts and the VSFT-3s, a new model, up from the one you heard at Capfest.

cheers,

AJ

enjoythemusic

« Reply #73 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:35 am »
Look forward to bumping into you guys at the show. In fact I can get you guys on 'TV' if you want :)  Could reserve an hour just for AC'ers if you want. Simply stop by the press room during the show.

For those who can't make it to the show, no problem. i have you covered with the live stream during the entire event, which will appear on our sites www.EnjoyTheMusic.com and www.EnjoyTheMusic.TV .

Bob2

« Reply #74 on: 23 Apr 2014, 12:07 pm »
 roscoeiii,
I'm interested in hearing as much as possible of all different types of music and gear..
My setup is pretty low-fi and want to upgrade. I have some decent tube gear but speakers are next after some acoustic treatments. I'm thinking this should be a good way to start forming an opinion on type of speakers I will be interested in. I have never heard many of the speakers that the members here have.

mresseguie,
I'm like you, I want to see and hear as much as possible. Looks like you have a sizeable list already!
I only planned on going Friday but if I miss much I'll stick around for Saturday..

Hope everyone has a great time!
Bob2

roscoeiii

« Reply #75 on: 23 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm »
Good plan. It is much easier to get a feel for speakers than other components at audio shows, so you are in luck.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #76 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:43 pm »
If you want to hear something interesting, visit the Janszen room this year.

David Janszen will be using an AVA Fet Valve 400R to drive the speakers this year for the first time.

AVA will be sharing a main display room with SalkSound again of course, but evidently Mr. Janszen liked what he heard with a 400R too.

Frank Van Alstine

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #77 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:09 pm »
For audio show newbies:
Since this is a new venue for the show we don't know anything about the flow of the show (i.e bottlenecks at elevators, etc).  However, given that lack of information, for those of you new to audio shows I'd recommend spending the first 25% of you available time (which means for one day show goers you need to fly through this step in a couple hours) going to the top floor of the show, stopping into several rooms on each floor for a very short time, then use the stairs at the end of the hall to go down one floor and do the same...until you exhaust the floors (usually 3-4 floors).  Then do the same in the ballrooms on the main floor.  I mention starting at the top and using stairs cuz usually the elevator situation is a huge time waster, and the end stairs are lightly used.

Then once you are able to scope out the entire show, go back to your faves, again starting from the top (or the first audio floor of the set).  The last thing you want to have happen is to first go and find you favorite room, spend 3 hours in there and then realize now you have no chance to spend any quality time with the other rooms, and never realized "XYZ is here and I didn't know it".

Also, if you are there more than one day and find a room you were hoping would sound good...sound bad...go back the following day.  Often these rooms don't get tweaked in until day 2 or 3 (unfortunately).  But, many rooms sound awful for the whole show, so don't be expecting sonic nirvana.   I personally attend these shows to touch the equipment, meet the mfg'ers and re-acquaint myself with the forum folks I've become friends with.  If I hear great sound its an added plus.

Bob2

« Reply #78 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:28 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!
The Janszen room is on the list. Have looked at the website and like what I see there...

ted_b, that's good advice. Going down versus up as the day wears on makes sense to me!

asliarun

« Reply #79 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:54 pm »
For audio show newbies:
Since this is a new venue for the show we don't know anything about the flow of the show (i.e bottlenecks at elevators, etc).  However, given that lack of information, for those of you new to audio shows I'd recommend spending the first 25% of you available time (which means for one day show goers you need to fly through this step in a couple hours) going to the top floor of the show, stopping into several rooms on each floor for a very short time, then use the stairs at the end of the hall to go down one floor and do the same...until you exhaust the floors (usually 3-4 floors).  Then do the same in the ballrooms on the main floor.  I mention starting at the top and using stairs cuz usually the elevator situation is a huge time waster, and the end stairs are lightly used.

Then once you are able to scope out the entire show, go back to your faves, again starting from the top (or the first audio floor of the set).  The last thing you want to have happen is to first go and find you favorite room, spend 3 hours in there and then realize now you have no chance to spend any quality time with the other rooms, and never realized "XYZ is here and I didn't know it".

Also, if you are there more than one day and find a room you were hoping would sound good...sound bad...go back the following day.  Often these rooms don't get tweaked in until day 2 or 3 (unfortunately).  But, many rooms sound awful for the whole show, so don't be expecting sonic nirvana.   I personally attend these shows to touch the equipment, meet the mfg'ers and re-acquaint myself with the forum folks I've become friends with.  If I hear great sound its an added plus.

Thanks, Ted. This is great advice!

I attended Axpona last year but only for a day (few hours really) and fell into the exact same trap you mentioned. Hope to do justice this time around. I plan to be there on Saturday and Sunday, all day.

I am still a relative newbie in the forum and would love to meet forum members at Axpona. Will keep an eye out for nametags with hopefully AC usernames on it. And if you see a confused looking Asian Indian guy with a nametag called "Arun", please let me know! Would love to chat with you. Oh, and I live in Evanston, by the way.

Regards,
Arun