Linked Events

• AXPONA 2014: 25 Apr 2014 - 27 Apr 2014

AXPONA - 2014 Chicago 4-25, 26, 27- 2014

Quiet Earth

Re: AXPONA - 2014 Chicago 4-25, 26, 27- 2014
« Reply #160 on: 29 Apr 2014, 08:22 pm »
I think AJ makes a very good point. Have you guys ever noticed that there are always one or two vendors that get very good, musically compelling sound in these so called "terrible rooms" without any sort of room correction at all? Why is that so? I think it is because their gear is designed to sound good in a typical living room situation in the first place. Just my guess anyway.

Hugh,
Your gear always sounds very good at the shows I have been to. I wouldn't sweat the room correction thing.

I'm glad everyone had a good time. Looking forward to my next show on the west coast.......  :D

dminches

« Reply #161 on: 29 Apr 2014, 08:24 pm »
I said it in jest...but let me ask you this:
A speaker is bright, a bit recessed in the mids from poor XO work, or a non-ideal driver, etc. and has the typical ported box boom being blamed on the "room".
A touch of EQ here and there and now it sounds pretty darned listenable, maybe even very good...at the show.
Attendee is wowed, buys it, gets it home and...bright, recessed and boomy. They don't have EQ. What now? "Treatments" and magic caps? 8 years of "break/burn in"?
Not cheated?
Well...

cheers,

AJ

I am in the minority in that I agree with your comments regarding audio show room EQ. Clearly for one's system EQ is a must to compensate for their room's deficiencies, but I prefer all the rooms at the shows to be on an even playing field although we all know it is far from perfect. I liked a bunch of the rooms with a variety of music (Sadurni horns and Volti) that were untreated. I even liked the monolith electrostatics even though the bass was boomy. Clearly that was correctable but it was nice to know they have bass to control!

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #162 on: 29 Apr 2014, 09:15 pm »
Quote from AJinFLA
Thanks and glad to hear, that Sony is a very nice piece by Dan.

Good to hear.  That is my piece when I meet up with Ted sometime later this week or next week.  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #163 on: 29 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm »
That is my piece when I meet up with Ted sometime later this week or next week.

Unless he suddenly has an "emergency" where he has to keep it for another week.....:wink:
Dans Oppo is no slouch either. I actually used it most of the weekend, as I am too much of a Luddite to download the smartphone remote ap

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #164 on: 29 Apr 2014, 10:48 pm »
Quote from AJinFLA
Good to hear.  That is my piece when I meet up with Ted sometime later this week or next week.  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

Oh Randy, I forgot to tell you that I have highly contagious TB right now and can't let anyone into my home until, um, er, a couple weeks.  Yeah, a couple weeks (or at least until Vinnie's modded unit arrives :) ).

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #165 on: 29 Apr 2014, 11:57 pm »
I guess Pez and Tyson weren't at Axpona? Will there be any room-by-room breakdown from anyone?

ltr317

« Reply #166 on: 30 Apr 2014, 12:52 am »
Hi AJ,

Great to hang and chow with you.  Did the speakers get back okay?  Make sure they are ready when Doug requests them for the review. 

Cheers,
Paul

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #167 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:34 pm »
Did anybody listen to the JTR room?  Thoughts?

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #169 on: 1 May 2014, 02:38 am »
I enjoyed Axpona again this year, saw some old friends, and met a few new ones. Most of the notable rooms have already been covered, but I'll add my 2 cents.

- Volti and TWL was great again. I went back at least 3 times to relax and get over the bad sound in some of the other rooms. I liked their theme "Have Fun!", and that's what you get with these speakers (~$16k). They were by far the most enjoyable setup I listened to.

Overall, it was fun, and nice to have a show close by in the Midwest again.

Hey Tom,
Great to see you again! Greg Roberts (Volti Audio) & I had a ton of fun, even though it was very fatiguing with only two of us in the room... but the accolades left by others on our whiteboard was extremely rewarding!

Also, it was great to see tedb, AJ, berto, gopher, mresseguie, ltr317, BigRedMachine and many others!

I hope everyone "Had Fun"!

Newport is next with Greg & Gary Dews from Border Patrol!

Cheers,
Pete

ltr317

« Reply #170 on: 1 May 2014, 03:49 am »
Hey Tom,
Great to see you again! Greg Roberts (Volti Audio) & I had a ton of fun, even though it was very fatiguing with only two of us in the room... but the accolades left by others on our whiteboard was extremely rewarding!

Also, it was great to see tedb, AJ, berto, gopher, mresseguie, ltr317, BigRedMachine and many others!

I hope everyone "Had Fun"!

Newport is next with Greg & Gary Dews from Border Patrol!

Cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Excellent sounding room.  I wore the "have fun" sticker proudly throughout the show.  Don't forget to bring "Walking On The Moon" to Newport, but if you do forget I'll have my copy for you to copy.   :D  See you there if not before. 

Cheers,
Paul

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #171 on: 1 May 2014, 12:10 pm »
Hi AJ,

Great to hang and chow with you.  Did the speakers get back okay?  Make sure they are ready when Doug requests them for the review. 

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Good seeing you too, fun dinner Sat, don't think I've ever had that much exercise at one! :lol:
I'll see in a day or so, Pilot Freight has been 100% reliable in the "no damage" category, much like FedEx is in the "damage" category.
Pete good seeing you and all the fellas as well. Till next time...

cheers,

AJ

wisnon

« Reply #172 on: 1 May 2014, 01:24 pm »
Oh Randy, I forgot to tell you that I have highly contagious TB right now and can't let anyone into my home until, um, er, a couple weeks.  Yeah, a couple weeks (or at least until Vinnie's modded unit arrives :) ).

Hahaha

You forgot to include the "cough, cough" at the end...

ltr317

« Reply #173 on: 1 May 2014, 08:10 pm »
Hi Paul,

Good seeing you too, fun dinner Sat, don't think I've ever had that much exercise at one! :lol:
I'll see in a day or so, Pilot Freight has been 100% reliable in the "no damage" category, much like FedEx is in the "damage" category.
Pete good seeing you and all the fellas as well. Till next time...

cheers,

AJ

Good thing we still have our hearing after that "sound blast" during dinner.  :lol:  I've had pretty good luck with FedEx considering the number of review items shipped to me. UPS, on the other hand, well they belong more in the "destroyed" category.  So, you decided to return ship with Pilot instead. 

StevensSound

« Reply #174 on: 1 May 2014, 11:39 pm »
I too was a big fan of the Legacy Audio room. Really loved the Aeris, and agree with all of the rave reviews. The Whisper is on another level- the openness and quickness is unreal. Kind of like the first time you hear high resolution audio, it sounds like other speakers have been lying to me all these years. Dynamics for days too, can't think of a single thing the Legacy can't do.

Tom, did you get a photo of the next generation Legacy Helix? I'm a huge fan of the Aeris design, and I know Helix will be priced higher around $48k, but I'd love to see a photo if you have it?
- The Legacy Aeris's (~$18k) were in two rooms and showed again why they've received such great reviews in the mainstream magazines. In his seminar, Bill D also revealed a rather bold strategy with an 8 channel DSP preamp and apodizing filter dacs to drive multiple amps per speaker, measurement and eq capability, etc. This will start with the next generation Helix that looked like an Aeris on steroids, and will trickle down to others that currently use the Xilica processor. Pretty cool stuff from a master.

StevensSound

« Reply #175 on: 1 May 2014, 11:41 pm »
Also, I really dug Dean laying it down  :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #176 on: 2 May 2014, 02:42 am »

Tom, did you get a photo of the next generation Legacy Helix? I'm a huge fan of the Aeris design, and I know Helix will be priced higher around $48k, but I'd love to see a photo if you have it?
Bill just showed a rendering of it in his presentation. I'm sure someone there would be able to send it to you.

HighFidelityCablesCY

• Industry Participant
  • Cosmosound (High-End Audio)
    • Cosmosound / E.H. Echosaudio Ltd
« Reply #177 on: 17 May 2014, 10:52 am »
hi,
where can we find invitations from?  :roll: