Linked Events

• Capital Audiofest 2013: 26 Jul 2013 - 28 Jul 2013

Capital Audiofest 2013

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Capital Audiofest 2013
« Reply #20 on: 6 May 2013, 10:38 pm »
I'd definitely go to Mi Rancho, especially for lunch (as the other alternatives mentioned I think are open just at night / dinner).  I'd probably be there all three days, so anyone looking for lunch company would be welcome.  The Lebanese Taverna Cafe just a bit farther down at the Silver Plaza (that has a bunch of eateries) is also a good / fast / cheap casual joint.  I like the "Cafe" better than their traditional table service locations.

Ray's the Classic's is definitely a good steak joint - although it requires a bit more commitment.  I.e. as it's fairly popular, it's probably wise to make a reservation, particularly on a weekend evening.  Also more of a financial commitment : estimate $50 a head for steak, something to drink, side or dessert + tip.  I've eaten at Ray's the Steaks, the original in Arlington, and it was among the better steaks I've had - and Ray's in general is one of the more highly regarded steakhouses in the DC area.  The original generated some controversy because they didn't accept reservations & people felt rushed because it was popular : but now they take reservations and folks are not as hurried.  Also the chef was a bit of a purist and wouldn't do steaks more than "medium" - and these tended to be more on the medium-rare side.  Now they will do, but don't recommend, well-done - but I'm guessing it's better to order a bit more well done than you would usually.  I.e. if you like medium-rare, order medium.  They cook to temperature, not color. 

Quarry House Tavern is an old staple of downtown Silver Spring, but is more on the "dive bar" side, with emphasis on the "bar" part.  So good for cheap after dinner drinks, and maybe a burger + tater totts, though I don't recall either being that exceptional.  And if there's a band on that night, loudness could make conversation a problem.  Not ruling it out, but I think it's better for drinks then food / conversation.

This is based on actual experience that's a few years old, so just my opinion..........

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2013, 04:02 am »
I also have a Zagat's guide from 2008 that comes in handy from time to time - this one has good ratings - http://www.mandalayrestaurantcafe.com/  and there are others.  I'm open to anything.  Most people like steak so it is hard to go wrong with that.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #22 on: 7 May 2013, 04:27 pm »
Steak!!!

(chants)
We want meat!
We want meat!
We want meat!

Kill it and grill it. Eat like a viking. Vegans can suck a pine cone.

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 7 May 2013, 04:46 pm »
Steak!!!

(chants)
We want meat!
We want meat!
We want meat!

Kill it and grill it. Eat like a viking. Vegans can suck a pine cone.

Just make sure you keep your sword under wraps!!! :nono:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2013, 04:50 pm »
How is parking at the new venue?

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2013, 05:06 pm »
How is parking at the new venue?

Given, the traffic and the cost and it looks like it is valet only - http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/area/transportation.html?propertyID=3771

It may be better to take the Metro.  Probably won't take any longer vs. driving and probably with parking two thirds of the cost between Metro Parking, tickets, gas, etc., not to mention dealing with anything else like the traffic.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2013, 09:57 pm »
Given, the traffic and the cost and it looks like it is valet only - http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/area/transportation.html?propertyID=3771

It may be better to take the Metro.  Probably won't take any longer vs. driving and probably with parking two thirds of the cost between Metro Parking, tickets, gas, etc., not to mention dealing with anything else like the traffic.

Actually there are two large free (on weekends) public garages - one directly behind the Sheraton and another a block away. And another two or more free public garages a few additional blocks away. Check out Google maps & search for parking.

Phil - if you want a ride in, I'd be happy to oblige. Otherwise I suggest the courthouse metro garage.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2013, 11:29 pm »
I think the best idea is to listen to Jon's suggestions.  IME there's nothing like a local to "steer" you in the right direction.  Mexican is great for lunch, especially useful in clearing out crowded rooms in the afternoon, Mi Rancho sounds great (and it's close).  The Lebanese place sounds good and Jon likes it, although I can't help thinking of the Geico vampire commercial, "Oh yes, I love the Lebanese."  Gentlemen not familiar with Lebanese should know lots of Lamb, hummus, Kabobs and Pita.  I'm fine with anything really, there was a shout out for Ray's and that's good with me, but the reservations thing has always proven difficult in the past with both call outs and added on's, maybe one of the selections that we can be more informal with preparations might be better?  And thanks for the heads up on the Quarry House Tavern, maybe good for later if anyone hangs out. 

Of course we could go to Piratz (or not) and check out the makeover featured on Spike TV's Bar Rescue and how much was trashed from Taffler's worst concept.  I usually agree with his ideas but he swung and missed with  the "Corporate" something or other.   

Saturn94

« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2013, 12:23 am »
Actually there are two large free (on weekends) public garages - one directly behind the Sheraton and another a block away. And another two or more free public garages a few additional blocks away. Check out Google maps & search for parking.

Phil - if you want a ride in, I'd be happy to oblige. Otherwise I suggest the courthouse metro garage.

Thanks for the heads up on parking.  I'll be driving with a couple friends and nearby free parking is greatly appreciated. :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2013, 12:41 am »
Here's the link to the two closest public garages (excluding of course whatever Sheraton itself may have at higher cost):

http://www.silverspringdowntown.com/go/spring-cameron-garage-garage-2

http://www.silverspringdowntown.com/go/cameron-second-garage-7

If you're planning on going Friday, parking is not free, but is super cheap : .50 cents an hour with a $6.75 maximum. Saturday & Sunday are free.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2013, 12:50 am »
I think the best idea is to listen to Jon's suggestions.  IME there's nothing like a local to "steer" you in the right direction.  Mexican is great for lunch, especially useful in clearing out crowded rooms in the afternoon, Mi Rancho sounds great (and it's close).  The Lebanese place sounds good and Jon likes it, although I can't help thinking of the Geico vampire commercial, "Oh yes, I love the Lebanese."  Gentlemen not familiar with Lebanese should know lots of Lamb, hummus, Kabobs and Pita.  I'm fine with anything really, there was a shout out for Ray's and that's good with me, but the reservations thing has always proven difficult in the past with both call outs and added on's, maybe one of the selections that we can be more informal with preparations might be better?  And thanks for the heads up on the Quarry House Tavern, maybe good for later if anyone hangs out. 

Of course we could go to Piratz (or not) and check out the makeover featured on Spike TV's Bar Rescue and how much was trashed from Taffler's worst concept.  I usually agree with his ideas but he swung and missed with  the "Corporate" something or other.   

That "benefit" of Mexican food never occurred to me!  Maybe I'll employ it for the MBL room.  If you don't want crowds, just go during the day on a Friday or late on a Sunday - at least that was true the last two years. 

If you like mediterranean food, you'd like Lebanese.  Very refreshing, particularly in summer (and also a place where vegetarians & non can both be happy).  I'll probably end up there for lunch one of those three days.

I'd be up for a good steak @ Ray's, but acknowledge that coordinating a reservation is tricky.  Perhaps it's worth trying to hit it w/ people at hand, and if a table can't be accommodated on the spot, fall back on somewhere else.  I think they also have bar-side eating for the smaller drop-in set. 

I like that show "Bar Rescue", but do feel at times that the guy is trying to turn every bar into some squeaky clean corporate chain bar.  Might be good business, but less interesting from the customer perspective.  There's something to be said for a good dive bar every now & then - if it's bringing in enough to keep the doors open.  Tangent over.......

GT Audio Works

« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2013, 11:49 pm »
Capital Audio Fest is less than 2 months away...I know everyone is interested in Newport. But for those of us on the wrong side of the country CAF is a viable alternative.
CAF is a great place for small businesses to get your products out there. 
A room averages about $2250 with a 10% discount for returning exhibitors.
Hook up with a partner or two and the cost is even less.
The show at NYC was great..but very expensive to exhibit.
The atmosphere at CAF is much more laid back..no big fees to get your gear up to the room...just bring it up yourself.
The exhibit room  includes an adjoining room for sleeping..no need to shell out more for accommodations.
There is a nice vibe at this show with live music every night after the show closes.
Its easy to get around..public transportation is within easy reach for a night of wine and dine.
Contact Gary Gill he will be more than happy to answer any questions  capitalaudiofest@gmail.com

GT Audio Works

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jun 2013, 02:19 pm »
Thinking of getting your product out there for people to hear ??
Big shows like New York, Newport, RMAF are great audio spectator type events. People come from all over to drool over the latest and greatest.
Lots of fun..wish I could go, but like myself I am sure there are a lot of folks that cant just jet off to the other side of the country for a few days.
Consider exhibiting at Capital Audiofest... Centrally located on the east coast...deep in the territory of some of the most well heeled audiophiles in the country.
 Most people looking to buy have driven no more than 5 or 6 hours. These are our local customers, this is the place to make connections and get your product heard.
The price is less than the big shows and sleeping accommodations are included.
CAF is more laid back, a very enjoyable experience for exhibitors and show goers alike.  Greg

GT Audio Works

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jun 2013, 03:42 pm »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:04 pm »
I'm going to do my best to swing by and give those planars a listen.
Maybe I can even drag the wife along for a second set of ears.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:31 pm »
I'm going to do my best to swing by and give those planars a listen.
Maybe I can even drag the wife along for a second set of ears.
Great Steve...come over for a drink and maybe a chat about your favorite bikes. Room 817....Greg

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #36 on: 21 Jun 2013, 01:25 pm »
Great Steve...come over for a drink and maybe a chat about your favorite bikes. Room 817....Greg

You will hear them with the Arion class "D" hybrid monoblocks now with Duelund CAST output caps.and a Dodd 6h30 preamp. A TEAC CDP and Kuzma TT for the sources. All will be fed through the BSG QOL oh my !

charles

DTB300

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jun 2013, 03:37 pm »
I'm going to do my best to swing by and give those planars a listen

I heard them last year, so I will be stopping by the room to see how this years model sounds.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:29 am »
Update...Triode Wire Labs / Swap Meet Audio / GT Audio Works will have a 2nd room at Capital Audiofest this year.

Room 806 will have a smaller less expensive GT audio Works speaker the GTA 1.
Triode Pete will provide the power cables and speaker cables , Charlie Rollo will provide the electronics..yet to be determined.   
See you at CAF rooms 817 & 806
                                                                      Greg

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #39 on: 24 Jun 2013, 03:53 pm »
If anyone wants a great Mohito, give Cubano's a go - the food is pretty good too. Lebanese place is also good. I have not eaten at the Ray's in Silver Spring, but the locations in Arlington were great (at least they were two years ago).

Looks like I will miss this year's show by a week, I fly back to the US (DC Metro area) from a fun 24 months in Cambodia on 1 AUG. I guess I will have to wait until next year. :(