Linked Events

• T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach: 31 May 2013 - 2 Jun 2013

T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach

jimdgoulding

Re: T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach
« Reply #140 on: 8 Jun 2013, 03:32 am »
Before this thread runs out of gas, I gotta ask if Jack Johnson's album of several years ago, Everloving, has ever been used as a demo at Newport or elsewhere to anyone's knowledge?  Tell you what, you downloaders find this and capture the song "Losing Hope", crank it up (emphasis on crank it up) and hear the damndest drum sound you've ever heard with tiny little high frequency diamonds   Similar to what's on Ani DiFranco's "Up, up, up, up, up" only with much more presence and volume but still with that requisite garage sound.  It's a trip, I'm telling you, and doubt that you have heard anything like it.  Lemme know what you think.  Thank you.

Er, I'm listening to a Japanese fat vinyl pressing with wide dynamics, but don't let that stop you.  Surely it's there.  I did say turn it up, right?
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2013, 05:38 am by jimdgoulding »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #141 on: 8 Jun 2013, 05:21 am »
No doubt about it.  This thread has died.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #142 on: 8 Jun 2013, 05:36 am »
Perfect observation, CB.  Who but you could have said that.

a.wayne

« Reply #143 on: 8 Jun 2013, 09:23 am »
Appears to be going in circles .......:)

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #144 on: 8 Jun 2013, 12:29 pm »
Before this thread runs out of gas, I gotta ask if Jack Johnson's album of several years ago, Everloving, has ever been used as a demo at Newport or elsewhere to anyone's knowledge?  Tell you what, you downloaders find this and capture the song "Losing Hope", crank it up (emphasis on crank it up) and hear the damndest drum sound you've ever heard with tiny little high frequency diamonds   Similar to what's on Ani DiFranco's "Up, up, up, up, up" only with much more presence and volume but still with that requisite garage sound.  It's a trip, I'm telling you, and doubt that you have heard anything like it.  Lemme know what you think.  Thank you.

Er, I'm listening to a Japanese fat vinyl pressing with wide dynamics, but don't let that stop you.  Surely it's there.  I did say turn it up, right?

We did play some Jack Johnson over the weekend, but not from that album I don't believe.  I'll have to look that one up.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #145 on: 8 Jun 2013, 02:40 pm »
We did play some Jack Johnson over the weekend, but not from that album I don't believe.  I'll have to look that one up.

We did too.  It's one of Ryan's go-to artists, though that particular track isn't usually one that he plays.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #146 on: 8 Jun 2013, 04:45 pm »
Thanks for your replies, fellas.  Really DO encourage everyone give a listen.  You'll see why if you do.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #147 on: 8 Jun 2013, 06:37 pm »
Appears to be going in circles .......:)

Now that right there is funny.

soundofrockets

« Reply #148 on: 12 Jun 2013, 04:32 pm »
i was wondering if anybody has put forward any kind of theory behind the synergy cups and whistles.  but man was i impressed with the demo.  you really had to be there to believe it.  but how does it work ?? what was the thinking behind this ? what are the alternatives ?  if you are the designer of such a product you better have answers to these questions otherwise its all "voodoo". 

Steve, in addition to the CD you have pictured we did listen to another CD and i believe you got the name.  can you share please. 

i loved the stuff at audio research room.

what room was the award winning tube preamp ? 

still recovering from all the fun in southern california.  when is the next show !!!!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #149 on: 12 Jun 2013, 05:02 pm »
Next show would be CAS (California Audio Show) in SFO. :)

You'll coming? :D

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #150 on: 12 Jun 2013, 05:03 pm »
Which one is that?
what room was the award winning tube preamp ? 

jhm731

« Reply #151 on: 21 Jun 2013, 05:48 pm »
Does anyone who went to the show know the manufacturer of these diffusers?

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #152 on: 21 Jun 2013, 07:59 pm »
This is from a company called MSR Acoustics. Heres the you tube link.
http://youtu.be/UJKwJWHxLgQ

jhm731

« Reply #153 on: 21 Jun 2013, 08:42 pm »
This is from a company called MSR Acoustics. Heres the you tube link.
http://youtu.be/UJKwJWHxLgQ

Mahalo!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #154 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:06 pm »
Thanks to Paul M. for his vote of confidence. :)

http://dagogo.com/t-h-e-newport-beach-2013-audio-show-report/2

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #155 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:30 pm »
Thank you Paul & and congrats to the AC member companies & the other fine sounding rooms.  As always, it is a pleasure doing these shows, hearing new music, visiting with old friends & meeting new ones.  Thank you all for stopping by!  Fritz

http://dagogo.com/t-h-e-newport-beach-2013-audio-show-report

abernardi

« Reply #156 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:28 am »
i was wondering if anybody has put forward any kind of theory behind the synergy cups and whistles.  but man was i impressed with the demo.

The demo was indeed impressive.  But I'm not convinced what we were hearing was a more accurate reproduction as he claims, or did these gadgets just change the character of the sound.  It certainly was more pleasing to my ear when he had everything engaged.  But my, he must have had $20,000 worth of his gadgets in place to produce that sound.

I forgot the guy's name, but I tried to get him to explain to me what he was doing, but he wasn't all that forthcoming.  But I can imagine he must be more than tired of trying to explain.  He did say he got the idea for the little cups from Tibetan singing bowls.  He also mentioned the platforms and cables were working at the quantum level.  Whenever I hear that... run, don't walk, out of the room.  But I can't deny what I heard, it was obvious.  I don't have words to describe what each thing did, but it was distinct.  Both the bowls and the platforms seemed to make the sound more open, airy, full.  It was sort of like comparing a great box speaker to those big MBL speakers

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #157 on: 27 Jun 2013, 07:19 am »
Indeed, thanks a bunch Paul.  Glad to be included among your favorites.  We had a great time at the show and have already talked about coming back.  It will be a tall order, but we fully intend to outdo the Nimbus next year.

And James Darby over at Stereo Mojo put us in his list of favorites.

http://www.stereomojo.com/2013%20THE%20SHOW%20Newport%20Beach/2013THESHOWNEWPORTBEACH.htm

jhm731

« Reply #158 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:34 pm »

ltr317

« Reply #159 on: 28 Jun 2013, 05:02 pm »
Indeed, thanks a bunch Paul.  Glad to be included among your favorites.  We had a great time at the show and have already talked about coming back.  It will be a tall order, but we fully intend to outdo the Nimbus next year.

And James Darby over at Stereo Mojo put us in his list of favorites.

http://www.stereomojo.com/2013%20THE%20SHOW%20Newport%20Beach/2013THESHOWNEWPORTBEACH.htm

Hi Peter,

Out doing the Nimbus will be a near miracle.  I will follow the development with interest.

Cheers,
Paul Mah