BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

ttsto

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #780 on: 21 Aug 2014, 07:30 pm »
Cover art that is embedded in flac files is not accessible by the Android or IOS remote apps, therefore you should have "cover.jpg" file in the music folder and set up appropriate the MPod or MPdroid.
link
Other field that you may find useful is ReplayGain; even if MPD installation on BDP allows use of such information, there is not simple way to use it
link

Rod_S

« Reply #781 on: 22 Aug 2014, 01:16 pm »
I was just reading through the manual again and didn't notice any mention of internal drives. I thought it was possible to install an internal drive, is that not the case? I see where it describes attaching an external eSATA drive and USB drive.

R. Daneel

« Reply #782 on: 22 Aug 2014, 01:30 pm »
Hi fellas!

How exactly do I unplug a USB thumbdrive from the BDP-1? I am reading the manual and it says unplugging the drive while it is playing will crash the software. Naturally, it would happen on any computer but the manual doesn't explain the exact procedure.

Is it safe to unplug the drive when the playback is stopped or is it preferred to turn the machine off?

Also, how do I fast forward or rewind withing a track? Holding the FFW/REW buttons does nothing. I am using the machine with it's hardware controls on the fascia.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #783 on: 22 Aug 2014, 02:26 pm »
Hi fellas!

How exactly do I unplug a USB thumbdrive from the BDP-1? I am reading the manual and it says unplugging the drive while it is playing will crash the software. Naturally, it would happen on any computer but the manual doesn't explain the exact procedure.

Is it safe to unplug the drive when the playback is stopped or is it preferred to turn the machine off?

Also, how do I fast forward or rewind withing a track? Holding the FFW/REW buttons does nothing. I am using the machine with it's hardware controls on the fascia.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi

You can insert or disconnect a thumbdrive at any time without issues.  You have to refresh the interface page though to see the changes.

You have to use the Computer interface to advance quickly - can not be done on the front panel controls.  The front panel controls are really a backup for normal operation with a computer or hand held interface device.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #784 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:38 pm »
I was just reading through the manual again and didn't notice any mention of internal drives. I thought it was possible to install an internal drive, is that not the case? I see where it describes attaching an external eSATA drive and USB drive.

Nevermid, I just found the youtube video showing the installation of a hard drive. Is there a size limit on the drive that can be installed?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #785 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:40 pm »
Nevermid, I just found the youtube video showing the installation of a hard drive. Is there a size limit on the drive that can be installed?

As long as it is a USB 2.5 drive no issue.  I have used up to 1TB rotary drives and 230G SSD.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #786 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:14 pm »
Thanks James, so 2.5" only, not 3.5"?

I'm just thinking as a backup if the network goes down it would be good to have the space onboard otherwise I would be storing all of my music on a NAS, that's the plan anyways.

Can the music from a thumb drive be copied to the internal drive if the network is down or do we need a PC, iPad, etc. in order to do the copying thus the network has to be up and running.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #787 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:16 pm »
Thanks James, so 2.5" only, not 3.5"?

I'm just thinking as a backup if the network goes down it would be good to have the space onboard otherwise I would be storing all of my music on a NAS, that's the plan anyways.

Can the music from a thumb drive be copied to the internal drive if the network is down or do we need a PC, iPad, etc. in order to do the copying thus the network has to be up and running.

Correct not 3.5.

I have only copied via the network so I will ask Chris to comment as to the possibility of other methods.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #788 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:26 pm »
Thanks

That would be great if you could ask. I'm thinking if the network is down and you can't copy from a thumb drive then it may make more sense to just have extra thumb drives on hand rather than install an internal drive otherwise you would need a defacto bunch of files already installed and ready to go in case of emergency :)

R. Daneel

« Reply #789 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:19 pm »
Hi

You can insert or disconnect a thumbdrive at any time without issues.  You have to refresh the interface page though to see the changes.

You have to use the Computer interface to advance quickly - can not be done on the front panel controls.  The front panel controls are really a backup for normal operation with a computer or hand held interface device.

james

Thanks!

So basically I can disconnect a USB thumbdrive at any time as long as the music is not playing from that drive, right?

Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #790 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:25 pm »
Thanks!

So basically I can disconnect a USB thumbdrive at any time as long as the music is not playing from that drive, right?

Antun

Hi

Does not matter if music is playing or not.  The music is stored in a Buffer so when you pull the drive it will play for a while depending on the resolution of the song.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #791 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:45 pm »
Hi

Does not matter if music is playing or not.  The music is stored in a Buffer so when you pull the drive it will play for a while depending on the resolution of the song.

james

I am not so brave to unplug the drive while it is playing but still, that is good to know!! :thumb:

Yesterday I ran into a bit of a problem with this music file. I used to play it on the computer in Foobar before and even though it is a single file, Foobar recognized it as a playlist and you could skip the songs. The BDP-1 recognized it as a single file and once it started playing it, I could not stop the playback because the entire time it said "Loading...". I then checked the file on the computer and realized it is 2.5GB in size (it is a 192/24 sampler from The Nordic sound). I pressed the power button and the player shut off normally, something that would have crashed an ordinary computer no doubt.

Is there a way around this or is it better not to play such files? The file just might be too big for the player to process.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #792 on: 22 Aug 2014, 08:33 pm »
I am not so brave to unplug the drive while it is playing but still, that is good to know!! :thumb:

Yesterday I ran into a bit of a problem with this music file. I used to play it on the computer in Foobar before and even though it is a single file, Foobar recognized it as a playlist and you could skip the songs. The BDP-1 recognized it as a single file and once it started playing it, I could not stop the playback because the entire time it said "Loading...". I then checked the file on the computer and realized it is 2.5GB in size (it is a 192/24 sampler from The Nordic sound). I pressed the power button and the player shut off normally, something that would have crashed an ordinary computer no doubt.

Is there a way around this or is it better not to play such files? The file just might be too big for the player to process.

Cheers!
Antun

I believe there is a limit to file size with Linux but will let Chris comment.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #793 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:30 pm »

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun,

The only time you need to worry about corrupting the filesystem is when your writing files to a drive and yanking it out.  The only time data should be written to the drive is while your copying audio to it over the network or using the playlist copy feature found in Manic Moose.

I have only had a report of one other file that was an excess of 2GB, that was from when we first launched the player nearly four years ago.  I recall the issue was with bug in our at the time compiled library of ffmpeg.  Could be the same problem has reoccurred in manic moose.

Cheers,
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #794 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:51 am »
Hi Antun,

The only time you need to worry about corrupting the filesystem is when your writing files to a drive and yanking it out.  The only time data should be written to the drive is while your copying audio to it over the network or using the playlist copy feature found in Manic Moose.

I have only had a report of one other file that was an excess of 2GB, that was from when we first launched the player nearly four years ago.  I recall the issue was with bug in our at the time compiled library of ffmpeg.  Could be the same problem has reoccurred in manic moose.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris!

That's interesting! The file is too large for me to send it to you but I could burn it on a DVD and send it to you if you want to take a look at it. I could possibly find the download link from where I got it.

It isn't a big deal anyway because every other file works flawlessly and even really long symphony movements in high resolution load instantly.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #795 on: 25 Aug 2014, 01:38 pm »
Fellas,

who can tell me what this means:

eth0 00:0d:b9:0e:68:d8

It is displayed on the BDP-1 screen. I have no idea what it means or why it is being displayed.

Is there any way BDP-1 can show time on it's display like a CD player?

All of this is new to me so I am sorry if I seem rather uninformed!
Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #796 on: 25 Aug 2014, 01:53 pm »
Fellas,

who can tell me what this means:

eth0 00:0d:b9:0e:68:d8

It is displayed on the BDP-1 screen. I have no idea what it means or why it is being displayed.

Is there any way BDP-1 can show time on it's display like a CD player?

All of this is new to me so I am sorry if I seem rather uninformed!
Cheers!
Antun

Thats the Ethernet connection.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #797 on: 25 Aug 2014, 02:01 pm »
Thats the Ethernet connection.

james

Hi James!

But it is not connected to the network.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #798 on: 25 Aug 2014, 02:02 pm »
Hi James!

But it is not connected to the network.

Yes thats why it has 0000 in the address.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #799 on: 25 Aug 2014, 02:18 pm »
Yes thats why it has 0000 in the address.

james

It's like an IP address then? I see!

But can you please tell me whether the display can show track time?