BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

1ZIP

Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #180 on: 22 Aug 2014, 02:27 pm »
The BR-2 operates several Bryston units and not supplied with those units.  It doesn't seem to have damaged the Bryston brand.

Be well

95Dyna

« Reply #181 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:03 pm »
Hi!

If you intend to spend roughly 3500 Euro on a CD player, then an additional 300 will hardly kill you. On the other hand, if you aren't familiar with Bryston, their policy of charging you an extra for the remote control might leave a somewhat bitter taste. Be assured this is precisely how a new customer would see it.

Cheers!
Antun

The solution to your observation from Bryston's (or any other business's) perspective would be to market the player with the BR2 included priced in accordance with the business model.  You then offer a separate alternate SKU that excludes the BR2 at a lower price for those that already have one.  This is not unlike the original BHA-1 offer where those who already have the MPS-2 could order it without the internal power supply for a few hundred less.

Phil A

« Reply #182 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:30 pm »
I don't think a remote is a deal killer (I would think that those opting for a CD player would be happy for stand along player being that very few are making them now and that number is dwindling so if Bryston decides to do it be thankful).  One could buy a Harmony Remote for $80 or buy a learning universal remote cheaper and perhaps Bryston could just supply codes.  I personally never used the remote when I had my BCD-1 except when I was doing audio comparisons a couple of times a year (for example comparing playback in different players or via a DAC).  Likewise, when I had my BDA-1, I never needed a remote as I had the Harmony Remote.

R. Daneel

« Reply #183 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:23 pm »
Fellas, I completely agree that it would be sensible to have the remote as an option, but other customers who don't own or know Bryston won't feel the same way.

In the end, I hope they do make a BCD-2 or all the words will go in vain!  :green:

Cheers!
Antun

Phil A

« Reply #184 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:31 pm »
If Bryston decides to make a CD player, perhaps James might be open to an option for a discount (e.g. 10%, 15%, 20%) on a remote purchased directly from Bryston within 6 months of the date of the sale of a CD player?  That might help take away the objection of some and give them time to either try a universal remote or send in a copy of their CD player receipt (from an authorized dealer) within 6 months of purchasing the CD player.

1ZIP

« Reply #185 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:54 pm »

In the end, I hope they do make a BCD-2 or all the words will go in vain!  :green:

Cheers!
Antun

From your lips to J. Tanners ears!

No matter how you word it…..Two choices:  One with, one without…without costs less.  Everybody is happy.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #186 on: 22 Aug 2014, 08:35 pm »
From your lips to J. Tanners ears!

No matter how you word it…..Two choices:  One with, one without…without costs less.  Everybody is happy.

Ok folks thats the way we will do it - Player comes 'with' remote unless you specify otherwise. 

james

spinner

« Reply #187 on: 22 Aug 2014, 10:32 pm »
  Hooooray, let's have a drink on that

:thumb:

R. Daneel

« Reply #188 on: 23 Aug 2014, 10:15 am »
Ok folks thats the way we will do it - Player comes 'with' remote unless you specify otherwise. 

james

Splendid!!! It will be a superb CD player!!! :thumb:

I was planning on purchasing a CD player next year and now it seems there is only option for me and all other manufacturers fall into the water. I yield and I ain't complainin'!

Cheers!
Antun

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #189 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:11 pm »

james

...i knew it :thumb:

al.

1ZIP

« Reply #190 on: 23 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm »
Wonder what the cost difference will be?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #191 on: 24 Aug 2014, 12:03 pm »
Hi Rich

Were you affected by the earthquake?

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #192 on: 24 Aug 2014, 01:46 pm »
Hi Rich

Were you affected by the earthquake?

james

Just saw the news... Are you fellas okay over there in the Napa Valley?

Let us know Rich!

Cheers!
Antun

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #193 on: 24 Aug 2014, 08:35 pm »
... oh my god...an earthquake?? shit, i should check the news :duh:

to anyone out there and if you should be affected - we are with you!

al.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #194 on: 25 Aug 2014, 04:46 am »
Thanks, James, Antun, and Al for your kind posts.

I'm sorry to delay in responding. We've been without power until this evening and haven't had cell or landline phone service, hence no internet access.

My wife and I are okay. The house seems structurally sound but we'll need an inspection to be sure. Inside, the devastation is severe. The floors were a sea of debris. glass and china in the kitchen, furniture tipped over everywhere, our Paradigm S8 and S4 speakers destroyed. But it's just stuff.  It looks like we may be hoping for the Model Ts sooner than expected. ;~}

Luckily, our Bryston gear is safe. The 6B was hanging off its shelf about 8' from the floor, but I was able to push it back into place. The 4Bs seem undamaged, as is the SP3; The BDP2 and BDA2 moved around quite a bit, but they seem okay. I'll be able to check the functionality of the gear in a day or two. It will take quite awhile to get things in order and repair and replace the many damaged items, but we're not injured, and that's the important thing.

Being native San Franciscans, we've been through many quakes, well into the 7 range on the Richter scale, but none so severe or so long as this major jolt, as we're very close to the (heretofore not identified) fault line. While it's pegged as a 6.1 right now, the quake felt like an 8. Aftershocks may be expected for a week, so we may be in for more of a ride.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness,

Rich

R. Daneel

« Reply #195 on: 25 Aug 2014, 07:37 am »
Thanks, James, Antun, and Al for your kind posts.

I'm sorry to delay in responding. We've been without power until this evening and haven't had cell or landline phone service, hence no internet access.

My wife and I are okay. The house seems structurally sound but we'll need an inspection to be sure. Inside, the devastation is severe. The floors were a sea of debris. glass and china in the kitchen, furniture tipped over everywhere, our Paradigm S8 and S4 speakers destroyed. But it's just stuff.  It looks like we may be hoping for the Model Ts sooner than expected. ;~}

Luckily, our Bryston gear is safe. The 6B was hanging off its shelf about 8' from the floor, but I was able to push it back into place. The 4Bs seem undamaged, as is the SP3; The BDP2 and BDA2 moved around quite a bit, but they seem okay. I'll be able to check the functionality of the gear in a day or two. It will take quite awhile to get things in order and repair and replace the many damaged items, but we're not injured, and that's the important thing.

Being native San Franciscans, we've been through many quakes, well into the 7 range on the Richter scale, but none so severe or so long as this major jolt, as we're very close to the (heretofore not identified) fault line. While it's pegged as a 6.1 right now, the quake felt like an 8. Aftershocks may be expected for a week, so we may be in for more of a ride.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness,

Rich

Thank God you're okay!

Things can be replaced, people cannot. It's not much of a comfort but it is enough. During the war in Yugoslavia I learned an important lesson, even if I was but a school kid and it is that the only thing that matters is us, the people. So I am thrilled to hear from you!

Hope you can repair the damage and continue with your lives quickly.
Best,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #196 on: 25 Aug 2014, 10:16 am »
Hi Rich

My thoughts are with you.

james

BrystonFan

« Reply #197 on: 25 Aug 2014, 10:08 pm »
Glad to read you are ok Rich and that you still have a sense of humour!
Get those Model Ts ordered!  :D

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #198 on: 26 Aug 2014, 06:22 am »
Boardin' the quake!

Thanks, gents. I appreciate your generous comments.

It will take several weeks for cleanup, since our west Napa neighborhood and downtown were the hardest-hit areas. Since earthquake insurance is prohibitive in California, few people have any coverage; thus, it will take months or years to recover. A block or two away, a house shook off its foundation, as a fault line ran across the street and under the house. This was the case with several homes, some of relatively recent build from the eighties or later. Our place seems safe structurally, but the contents are pretty well trashed.

Yep, BrystonFan, I'll get those Mr. T's as soon as I can, and the rest of a 7.2 set of Bryston speakers. James, does the twenty-year warranty cover earthquakes?  :green: Also, what is the Bryston Disaster Discount?  :scratch:

Here are some photos from the local media; the first link is a good overview:

http://abc7news.com/news/bay-area-earthquake-destroys-70-buildings-in-napa/279813/#gallery-1

http://napavalleyregister.com/gallery/photos-napa-earthquake/collection_f47add6c-a63a-50fe-8816-c07383dd6400.html#19

http://napavalleyregister.com/gallery/quake-damage-extensive/collection_8e8395b1-6e38-5d0f-8926-5bf561bbb451.html#17

http://napavalleyregister.com/gallery/photos-napa-earthquake-day-two/collection_d6166ed6-2f4c-52ae-a678-b2e7e095754f.html#8

http://napavalleyregister.com/special-section/napa-quake/interactive-napa-valley-earthquake/html_21d3eaf5-a355-50ba-bb84-c3c0281f8450.html

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Napa-homes-burning-after-Northern-California-5708833.php

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/24/6650974/60-earthquake-hits-napa.html

Best to all, and thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #199 on: 26 Aug 2014, 08:46 pm »

Though this photo is oriented correctly on my iMac, it's uploading incorrectly. Oh, well, lean your head, eh?

Rich