Can soundscape 8s fill a modern home with open concept

maplemusic

Hi

Just wondering if anyone is using soundscape8s or veracity STs in Huge two story foyers which are open to the whole home in modern homes? Do they really able to articulately present music AND movies without getting distorted? I plan to drive them at most with a 200 watt per channel amps.

Alternatively is anyone using these in a dedicated movie theatre with high action movies and rock music. The reason I ask is that these speakers are designed for accuracy and music presentation but not sure how these fare with filling ear bleeding levels of a home theatre or should I be looking at other HE designs from other speaker manufacturers.

Thanks

ctviggen

Re: Can soundscape 8s fill a modern home with open concept
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2017, 11:25 am »
There should be no reason why they can't.  I'm using Linn 5140s in my open-concept house and they easily fill the room.  (I have Salk HT3s, but these are gathering dust in the basement.)  The issue will be room artifacts caused by lack of damping and other effects. 

In the past, I've used my Linns and the Salks (and VMPS RM40s) for home theater applications (when I had a dedicated "theater" room), and they did great.  Helps to have a matching center channel, though.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2017, 11:50 am »
They will be perfect for double duty. I used them like that for 2 years in a room 32 feet deep and open up a stairway. Don't sweat the center channel too much. If you have the room and the coin then go ahead and get a matching. One was for sale here not long ago. Even the ST center will work fine.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm »
There's some guys in this thread using SS8's in home theater type rooms, you can ask them how they handle action movies.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20723.msg1597390#msg1597390

TJHUB

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2017, 05:03 pm »
For music, they will be great, but not many floor standing speakers will handle any aggressive home theater.  (4) 8” drivers will be very limited by physics.  Adding a sub or 2 for home theater is a minimum.  The SS8’s will deliver a lot more than the Veracity ST.

SCompRacer

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:07 pm »
I have a two channel system with a pair of SS8's. They sit on an open wall in a large open main floor with 14 foot ceilings. That equates to over 10,000 cubic feet of space, not counting the rooms the space opens into. I know some folks that think adding subs in a two channel system is a sin, that my speakers or amp are not up to task. But they fail to understand what space does to bass. Just because you have speakers that are spec'd at 25Hz to 20KHz +- 3dB does not meant that they will play 25Hz - 20KHz +- 3dB in your room.

I added two 12" subs to augment the 25 to 35Hz range. I've also added acoustic treatments. Four bass traps, two 4 footers stacked in corner that one speaker is nearest to, and some wall treatments. SVS and Rythmic have told me I really need two 15" subs for that amount of space. For a two channel system with my frequency playback requirements. Now much depends on the music I play. I consult a music chart to see the lowest frequency instruments play and I sweep my room to measure what range I may be missing. (I like pipe organ music). Most music I play, the subs don't even respond.

You want to use speakers for movies which can have frequencies well below musical instruments. Of course it would depend on the movies you watch too.

Now I can box my speakers into corners which will magnify the bass, but that causes its own set of issues. Boxed by corners, even with stacked bass traps in corners, I would have to put them so far into the room that seating would be in the foyer.

My point is don't expect any floor standing speaker to do the job of playing at the bass levels you need depending on space and placement in the room.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:18 pm »
It isn't my main system, but I use a pair of SongTowers in my living-room in a Contemporary home with 20' ceilings in a very open setup.

The ST's sound great and fill the space with a lot more bass than you think they would.

I can only imagine that the larger Salk speakers would be even better.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:24 pm »
The poster never said he wasn't going to introduce a sub into the system. I always use subs for HT - how else do I shake the paint off the walls? :wink:

maplemusic

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2017, 04:24 am »
Yes. I do have plans to use subs. At least two of them. Either Rythmik F15s or mostly Funk 18/21s. But the purpose mostly is music and watching tv/music but not a full blown theater in the family area.

Of course I added the second question about a dedicated theatre just in case the plans change and end up having to "settle" with ss8s in a HT. LOL

Thanks for all the replies. I think I got the answer I was looking for.