What classical music you listening to, luv?

jimdgoulding

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:46 am »
Tchaikovsky- Francesca de Rimini/Bizet- Sym no.1 in C with Munch conducting the Royal Philharmonic (Chesky).  I love this record for de Rimini.  Sumbitch has me swooning everytime.  Anybody out there? 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:31 pm »
All this talk of du Pre has me listening to my various recordings of the Elgar Cello Concerto.  Currently this is the one I've got streaming:

Girl looks like Lindsey Lohan, huh.

Bartok- Les Quatuors as played by Quator Vegh (Astree).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:48 am »
Next up - Schumann Violin Concerto by one of the Capucon brothers - outstanding recorded sound quality and a not-bad-at-all performance:

JohnR

« Reply #44 on: 6 Aug 2009, 11:08 am »
Rachel Podger, Sonatas and Partitas, Bach, Channel Islands. Fabulous. Two volumes.

(PS. What's with the "luv" in the thread title?  :scratch: It's kindof off-putting.)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2009, 04:34 am »

Tchaikovsky: The Seasons Op. 37B; Rachmaninov: Corelli Variations Op. 42 / Hideyo Harada- Piano..... Cd

Info.... http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7790539&style=classical

Tyson

« Reply #46 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:20 am »
Just picked this up - very nice sound quality and very good performances.  I'm not sure it will displace Perahia in these same works as my fave, but it's a nice, alternate take:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2009, 11:03 am »
Harmonium/The Death of Klinghoffer- John Adams (Nonesuch).

Tyson

« Reply #48 on: 23 Aug 2009, 05:39 am »
Jim, not much light listening going  on there :)

Whitese

« Reply #49 on: 23 Aug 2009, 05:50 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #50 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:35 am »
Robert Ealey and his Five Careless Lovers- Live at The Bluebird Nite Club (in fabulous Fort Worth).  Whoops!  Wrong thread . .

Vaughan Williams Sym no.3/The Lark Ascending-  Boult, New Philharmonia (Angel).

Randy

« Reply #51 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:36 pm »
I'm old enough to remember when the Vaughan-Williams 9th was first issued on an Everest Lp. The owner/producer at Everest, Bert Whyte, was also editor (I think) of a great magazine of the time, Audio.

My favorite V-W symphony is his 6th. Love that first movement in particular. Performances by the late Vernon Handley on EMI's Classics for Pleasure of all the V-W symphonies are excellent.

richidoo

« Reply #52 on: 26 Aug 2009, 11:18 pm »

Nice sounding album. Baroque brass quartet, in a beautiful acoustic.

Tyson

« Reply #53 on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:59 am »
Keep feeling like this set "ought" to displace my set of the Alban Berg Quartets as my favorites, so I keep listening to it.  It's gaining ground, but not at the top yet.  Of course, I mean for the String Quartets.  When it comes to the Piano Quintet, then the Emersons with Fleisher ARE tops:

Randy

Shostakovich - Preludes and Fugues
« Reply #54 on: 8 Sep 2009, 04:34 pm »
I'd held off getting a set of these, and last week got the new version by Jenny Lin. Wonderfully strange music, with echos of Bach, of course. Highly recommended.

guest46813

« Reply #55 on: 11 Sep 2009, 01:07 am »
The Widor Mass, Op. 36 with Daniel Roth SACD JAV Recordings label. This is recorded at the Church of St-Sulpice in Paris with one the greatest organs in Europe, a 19th Century Cavailler-Coll and a 100-person choir. Some of the scenes in the Da Vinci Code were shot at this church. When visiting in Paris, I recommend goign to the night and midnight concerts at Notre Dame de Paris.

Robert Schumann Lieder with Marjana Lipovsek (mezzo soprano) and Graham Johnson on Sony Classical

I also second the Connoisseur Society recording of Manitas de Plata Flamenco Guitar. That live recording was done between 8pm and 4am in a small church. I have the 3 LP box set and also the rare Japan CD re-issue.

Whitese

« Reply #56 on: 11 Sep 2009, 01:20 am »
Boy what a tremendously satisfying surprise....I just pulled it at random from all my BIS CD's and I love this...power, melody, everything that a classic should have...

Whitese

« Reply #57 on: 11 Sep 2009, 10:40 pm »
Mono in full display!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #58 on: 24 Sep 2009, 04:46 am »
Ketil Saevewrud- Double Concerto for Flute, Guitar, and Strings (BIS lp-129).  One of my go to recordings for solace and recorded sound.  Beautiful original music perfectly recorded as it is.  One of the few times you can see how it was recorded and where from the picture on the back of the cover.  It's perfectly realized in my room.  With my warmest recommendation.

Tyson

« Reply #59 on: 24 Sep 2009, 04:52 am »
Finally a string quartet performance that seriously challenges the Alban Berg set: