What electronics are more likely to need voltage regulation?

Rod_S

I am curious if for example amps are less likely to need voltage regulation vs say SSP's, players, tv's, etc. or are they just as at risk? If putting together a plan for power conditioners for all your gear, I'll focus on the BIT series as this is a Bryston forum would it make sense to get a few BIT's, some being the AVR's and others just the standard units for the amps?

When my vision comes to completion I'll have monos for all of my speakers. Right now everything is running off of 2 Furman units and everything gets voltage regulation because the 1st Furman unit from the wall is a SPR-20i (voltage regulator) and the 2nd Furman unit plugs into the 1st so it also gets the benefit of regulation. I bought the Furman's long before Bryston offered the BIT's so I would most likely add BIT's going forward and where voltage regulation is concerned it's included in the main BIT units whereas with Furman you need to take a 2 unit approach in order to get the best results so the Bryston approach is more straight forward. What I'm wondering is for the 7B's I'll be installing with the side speakers would it be good to get BIT-15 AVR's (1 per unit as they would be on opposite walls) or would standard BIT-15's do the job and I wouldn't have to worry about regulation for the amps. A similar question for my 28's and the 3rd 7 I would be buying for my center, I'm thinking of a BIT-20 to power these three so BIT-20 or BIT-20AVR? I suppose I could split and get a 3rd BIT-15 for the center 7 but I suspect a BIT-20 would have no issues with two 28's and a 7. I would keep my Furman setup for all of my other gear.

Rod_S

Re: What electronics are more likely to need voltage regulation?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2016, 06:09 pm »
I just wanted to bump this as I didn't receive any feedback. I am still curious what people think, if getting the BIT AVRs would be worthwhile, particularly on the 7's and 28's or if the AVR series would really only benefit front end electroncis and possibly the smaller Bryston amps that don't have the Torus components like the 7's, 14's and 28's.

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2016, 06:33 pm »
Hi Rod,
I can see using the BIT Avr if you have power fluctuations.
Seems your amp future is where I'm at.
I have 28's for R+L fronts,7B-sst for the center and 7Bsst2 for the surrounds.
I have separate Torus units for the front and rear racks,60a for the front(28's+7) and 20a for the two 7's and all components.
Both are 240v.
I would think the 28's could use a 20a BIT,one for each
There was a formula where you add up the total the total output of the amps(front0 and divide by one third and that should give which BIT you need for the front amps.
I'm sure James will chime in on this as my memory is 60 ishhh

Rod_S

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2016, 06:51 pm »
Thanks, I definitely can't do what you did because I'm limited to 15a on the electrical so a 60a unit is out of the question and even going with a BIT 20 or 20 AVR I would need to use a 15a AC plug like I do with my Furman SPR 20i

The power where I'm at is quite stable now, it wasn't for some reason a number of years back, that's what prompted me to get the Furman SPR-20i. However if things were to change again for the worse I'm curious if in general components like sources, tvs, our SSP's, game systems, DVR's, etc. are more suseptable to damage from power swings than amps are and with respect to the Bryston amp line up, are the 7, 14 and 28 somehow more robust, durable, etc. in this regard than the 3,4,6,and 9 because they (the 7,14 and 28) have the Torus components.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2016, 07:07 pm »
That's a James Tanner Answer,
i think components would be more susceptible to damage,just assuming.
I do know for a fact F-113 subs are(I had four).
Two were connected to the wall and two were to the Torus.....
Enter a thunder storm(a few yrs back)the two subs connected to the Torus(s)and all components, perfect not a scratch.
The two F-113's plugged into the wall...Toast :lol:,no at the time no funny.
I have my projector into the Torus also which seem to have sensitive electronics as I believe my Bryston components also(computers ect).
For me The Torus has been keepers compared to all my other gear as I know how good they perform.
Waitin for MR.Tanner.............................. .

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2016, 06:56 am »
I'd REALLY appreciate whatever that magic formula is. I'd LOVE to get two BIT's (one for amps and sub, the other for everything else), but for now, I'm very limited to just one. I'm sure everyone would suggest a BIT 20 now, followed by a BIT 15 later. But I'd love to be able to do the math for myself and get an idea of what to expect. I'm also stuck on a 15a line for now too.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2016, 11:03 am »
Hi Grit

Amplifiers are more immune to power issues than source components so I would target the source components first.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2016, 11:48 am »
Would I be off-base to plug everything into a BIT15 or BIT20? Or better off omitting the sub and amps? Or some other combo?

4B-SST2
6B-SST2
JL E112 sub

SP3
BDP-2
BDA-2
BHA-1

Oppo BDP-103
Tivo
Pioneer Kuro 50" plasma tv

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2016, 01:01 pm »
Would I be off-base to plug everything into a BIT15 or BIT20? Or better off omitting the sub and amps? Or some other combo?

4B-SST2
6B-SST2
JL E112 sub

SP3
BDP-2
BDA-2
BHA-1

Oppo BDP-103
Tivo
Pioneer Kuro 50" plasma tv

With a 20 amp you would be fine.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2016, 01:06 pm »
Thanks James! Solves that problem :D

Rod_S

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2016, 08:44 pm »

Amplifiers are more immune to power issues than source components so I would target the source components first.

I thought that might be the case so it's good to get confirmation.

I guess I'll have plenty of time to decide if I want a BIT-15 or BIT-15 AVR for each of my 7B-SST2's. Until then they'll be plugged directly into the wall.

Rod_S

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:51 pm »
Just a quick follow-up to the inevitable BIT and 7's setup. Knowing that the 7's would be the only devices connected as all my other components are up front, these are at the back of the room, would either a BIT 15 per 7 or shared for both 7's be an ideal matchup? Or if sharing would this be more of a BIT 20 scenario? Unless I'm missing something I can't see a need for a BIT 20 per 7B-SST2 if that would be the only item attached.

What do you think?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2016, 02:05 pm »
Just a quick follow-up to the inevitable BIT and 7's setup. Knowing that the 7's would be the only devices connected as all my other components are up front, these are at the back of the room, would either a BIT 15 per 7 or shared for both 7's be an ideal matchup? Or if sharing would this be more of a BIT 20 scenario? Unless I'm missing something I can't see a need for a BIT 20 per 7B-SST2 if that would be the only item attached.

What do you think?

I would still go with the 7B's into a single 20.  The isolation transformer is much larger in the BIT 20 and with larger power amplifiers I just find it works much better than with a 15.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2016, 02:30 pm »
I would still go with the 7B's into a single 20.  The isolation transformer is much larger in the BIT 20 and with larger power amplifiers I just find it works much better than with a 15.

james

Ah interesting, so a single BIT 20 with both 7's plugged in would be better than one BIT15 for each 7. I never would have thought that. Thanks

werd

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:08 pm »
I would put each  7 on its own dedicated line. Or put in a 20 amp line for both. It would be cheaper than daisey chaining power cnditioners. Probably a lot cheaper too with less components

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2016, 07:12 pm »
I would put each  7 on its own dedicated line. Or put in a 20 amp line for both. It would be cheaper than daisey chaining power cnditioners. Probably a lot cheaper too with less components

They will be on a line separate from the front gear but obviously doing as James suggests the 2 amps will be on the same line due to using just one BIT, the BIT20. I live in an apartment so can't upgrade the wiring, I'm stuck at 15 amp. What I like about James' suggestion is that's it's cheaper, not only better as two BIT-15's would be more than the BIT-20, so bonus there. I just need to make sure to get a power cable long enough to stretch across the room for one of the amps. I have a 10' Kimber PK10 Gold already so it could be as simple as redeploying that.

werd

« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:47 pm »
They will be on a line separate from the front gear but obviously doing as James suggests the 2 amps will be on the same line due to using just one BIT, the BIT20. I live in an apartment so can't upgrade the wiring, I'm stuck at 15 amp. What I like about James' suggestion is that's it's cheaper, not only better as two BIT-15's would be more than the BIT-20, so bonus there. I just need to make sure to get a power cable long enough to stretch across the room for one of the amps. I have a 10' Kimber PK10 Gold already so it could be as simple as redeploying that.

How long do you think it will be before the cops show up?  :lol:

Rod_S

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:27 am »
No complaints yet :)