VMPS Tower 2 Rebuild

underdawg

• Industry Participant
VMPS Tower 2 Rebuild
« on: 31 Oct 2012, 07:08 pm »
I have seen recent posts about rebuilding older VMPS speakers and here our mine that we started in 2007 rebuilding. I just had to order new passives as the others blew out of the surrounds.
[/img][/img][/img][/img]

ST86

Re: VMPS Tower 2 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2012, 12:57 pm »
Hi,

Um...not to be picky, but those are Supertowers, not Tower 2s.  A question on the rebuild.  I noticed you used the smaller ESS AMT for the supertweeter.  What did you use for the crossover and how is the performance?

Thanks,

Ed

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2012, 04:09 pm »
Yes they are super towers, sorry.
The original tweeters shot out a blue flame and fried on a biwire setup we did wrong evidently.
The Heils were all I had on hand as I was unable to find original replacements, so went went with the best I had.
The crossovers were changed based on the new tweeter to what what ESS recommended back in the day.
Here are the tower 2s I have had also.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2012, 06:00 pm »
I did recently blow out the 15 passive radiaotrs and have ordered and new pair with rubber surrounds, i guess my cabinets are still air tight after all these years. I will also be installing the new out board crossovers, and removing all internal crossover components. I was surprised to see internal crossovers and added electronic components to each driver to match them back in the day I guess. I will try to take some before and after pics of the crossover upgrades.

mjmessina

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:44 pm »
What crossovers are you using?  Can you provide a link?

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:41 am »
I will be using outboards built by brian which I have in hand, pictures  will be added soon. Currently I use the in cabinet crossovers which we replaced all the capacitors, coils and resisitors part for part based on what was already in the cabinets.