VMPS with various amps

Shear Bliss

VMPS with various amps
« on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:33 am »
Been experimenting with different power amps on my RM-1s ... to varying degrees, mostly pretty good so I thought. Figured high power was a good place to start, but even tho these speakers never ceased to please, something was lacking. As my older versions of the Tower II and Tower II SE/R with their larger bass drivers, thought the same true to engage the bass drive.

Now I admit on my first two attemps to intergrate the bass loading, of the Tower IIs, I just did"nt get it, the worlds finest amps would"ve dissapointed me. These VMPS loudspeakers are a special breed indeed, worth my third go around with them. I now get it. Upgraded Mega woofers, passive vitrified, ribbon masks, bass loading slot reversed, which my room seems to prefer.

The real shocker was putting a Eagle 2 (EKSC recap kit) rebuild with Hex-Freds on the RM-1s ... Talk about ribbon clarity, not edgy but clean, clear, percise. Detail and Dynamics never heard before. Minute Micro detail that just leaps out of these glorious transducers. Bottom end that goes through the floor when called upon to do so ..... At 110 watts per/ch. I"d would of said no way ... Truely a beautiful match of synergy. I"m very glad to own these wonderful loudspeakers, and also that I"m a persistant olde cuss ..... Brian as always, you da man!!!

Sincerely, DW.
Shear Bliss

rbbert

Re: VMPS with various amps
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:30 pm »
I've just hooked up a Pass Labs INT-150 to my RM-40's (replacing Bryston BP-20 / 4B-ST combo).  First couple of days suggests a very harmonious match.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:22 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.  The RM1 died when its cabinet became too expensive, but we plan to introduce a new version, the RM1a, next year at the under $2k price point.  Like all current production,  cabinets will be made domestically.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm »
Shear B,

If I am not mistaken Roger Gordon a Positive Feedback Online Reviewer and VMPS user, has EAGLE amps powering his LARGER SUB(s) to good report.

sharper

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2011, 04:14 pm »
Brian,
       Can you share any more details about the upcoming RM1a? Same cabinet size as the original RM1? 1 woofer, 1 Neo, 1 tweeter?

Scott

Housteau

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2011, 09:16 pm »
I think that the Eagle amps have almost a cult type of following these days as the stories of their performance has grown and been passed around over the years.  For me the synergy started with the older Infinity bass towers and the Eagle IIa.  There didn't seem to be another that could get a grip of those woofers and work that feedback circuit quite like it.

I then kept it in service for a while to run the upper bass in the V60 with the Dayton supplied 1K amp running the low bass going to the VLAs.  About two years ago I replaced it with a pair of custom Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monos.  Now, those are something else.  Even just on specs they take on the Bryston big boys.  I still have the Eagle though.  A friend is using now to power a second system.

Darac

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:12 pm »
I recently RM 30 to drive the Audiolab mono blocks 8200MB. It was a completely new experience. The power of 250 watts has never acted as a powerful and authoritative. Speed ​​and precision in the bass and exceptional detail of the micro-medium high-pitched just leased my attention after a long time. Neither the high volume yielded no distortion of sound. This is a summary of how invested a good amplification can give good results in combination with the VMPS speakers.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm »
I used an SAS Audio Labs 10A tube preamp with an Eagle 2 on RM40s (original version) with great results.  :thumb:

Lin

fredgarvin

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2011, 05:53 am »
In my experience high current and power is best with VMPS. The best set-up I have had is what I run now, a Coda amp with 200/400 watts per channel, high-current.

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2011, 01:18 pm »
Years ago while shopping for amplifiers I ran across this article:
http://www.regonaudio.com/Sunfire.html

I knew then that Bob Carver designs were somewhat controversial but, after reading the article, decided to take a chance and give the Sunfire 300 a try without auditioning first. Since then I've never looked back. From powering my old pair of Dahlquist monitors to buying a second 300 in 2004 to bi-amp my RM40s, I couldn't be happier with these amps and I'm looking forward to trying them with the new RM30 SIIs I have on order.

-Doug

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2011, 03:54 pm »
I've been quite pleased with my new Pass INT-150 into my RM-40's, despite dropping from 400 watts (Bryston 4B-ST) to 300 (assuming the 4 ohm rating for the RM-40 is appropriate).  The bass is certainly more articulate and doesn't seem any less powerful (sometimes the opposite).

Brax

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2011, 02:31 am »
I am the proud new owner of Lin's old RM40s. I started with a Carver TFM 35 then upgraded to an Earthquake Cinenova Grand 5, love the sound.

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2011, 12:52 am »
As we have had a few threads like this before, it goes to show that VMPS speakers can sound fantastic with a variety of different amps.  As well, they will certainly show you the sonic differences between most of them, if any.

I know a lot also use tubes, especially on the tweeters and MR Neopanels to a good result.

One thing I have found is that they can sound wonderful with even low power amps at lower SPL's, but if you want them to fill the room, it is best to have at least 250wpc+ (solid state) per channel.

Brax:  I still use a CINENOVA 5 channel for my HT Frontal Array, and it is a real over-achiever.  I only use 4 channels.  One each for the L&R RM40, One for the Center RM30, and another for the Center LRC.  Yes, I run a stacked RM30 and LRC for my CENTER and each has its own channel of the CineNova.   :lol:

300/600wpc and single digit distortion with high signal to noise.  They are surprising how good they are for what many consider a HT amp. (sleeper)
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2011, 01:55 am by John Casler »

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:08 am »
Before I went active bi-amp, I ran my RM1 with low power tube amp, 20W /channel with excellent results at low volumes. I also tried a 40-50w tube amp with better results.
THe best SS sound I got was with a Hafler Pro amp, a P7000, with about 350W per channel. Unfortunately one of the channel went south and took out the bass drivers.
SInce then I have gone the active biamp route, retaining the tweeter crossover and mid panel cut off coil, and using a simple Marchand XM1 module to split the bass from the mid/hi. The sound took a big leap in clarity and definition.

CUrrently I am using a Crown XTi 1002 on the bass with my trusty 20w tube amp on the mid/hi. THe Crown has proven to be superior to a modified Adcom 555 II on the bass drivers. Bought it because it has a  DSP built in, however it needs to be hooked up to a computer to access the custom menu/settings I would need...so haven't gotten around to that yet.

I was curious to hear just how the Crown would fare full range, so swapped in a pair of 626R, and I was amazed to hear just how good the sound was. I have been listening to this set up the past week or two..the only thing I miss is the deeper bass response of the RM1s. The 626 images like a much bigger speaker, throws a big soundstage.
In the near future I am looking forward to comparing the Crown with a 10kilobucks amp of some repute.  :D
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2011, 10:07 pm by mjosef »

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2011, 07:02 am »
RM40s Tri-amped. Using 5 watt SET amp for my midrange and another identical 5 watt amp for the tweeters. For the woofers I'm using a pro amp, QSC DCA1222 300 watts per channel. I have heard these speakers with high powered amps of various types using a passive crossover and none of them can even come close to the raw beauty of the sound AND the absolute SPL this setup is capable of. Loud, in control and unbelievably refined. You think 5 watts on a speaker like this is not enough? think again!

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2011, 08:58 pm »
Pez brings out a good point.

There are basically TWO types of Crossovers:

1) Passive Analog
2) Digital Electronic

The Passive Analog XO is the one that responds nicely to Higher Power and Amperage.

If you are using the D-OXO (digital XO) then you amp(s) will go between the Crossover and the Speaker.  This means the native efficiency of the drives will be what the amp sees.

Pez's tweeter then will present a 94-96db efficiency load to the amp and that is why a 5w amp will do a great job.  If I remember correctly all the VMPS drivers are between 92 and 96db efficient.

So keep this in mind when viewing these discussions about amps.  The requirements for the Analog XO are far greater than the Digital XO.

So once again, the "dispencer of truth" has dispenced.  :thumb:

warnerwh

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:54 am »
I'm still happy with my Cinenova Grande 3 channel with my RM 40's. I've been through a number of amps on my RM 40's and these are excellent amps contrary to what the masses might want you to believe. Like John said above they are "sleepers".

Brax

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:58 pm »
John,

I'm intersted on how your center setup performs. I was playing with the idea of using a set of RM2s standing side by side for center duty. These would be behind a 130" AT screen in my HT. I would love to have a single RM40 for this to match my fronts but this may not happen for awhile.

I have added a Cinenova Grande 3 to my 5 to round out a 7.1 system. The only problem is that the 40s, 2s, LRC and my twin 18" sealed subs are all sitting in my basement waiting for the HT to be built.

I also plan to try a Anthem MRX 700 receiver on my RM30s in my living room system once all my other gear move downstairs for the HT.

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2011, 03:01 am »
John,

I'm intersted on how your center setup performs. I was playing with the idea of using a set of RM2s standing side by side for center duty. These would be behind a 130" AT screen in my HT. I would love to have a single RM40 for this to match my fronts but this may not happen for awhile.

I might consider placing them on top of each other mirror imaged (with the top T2 being upside down for a D'appolitto config)  You'd need to build a bracket to screw into the rear of the speakers to make them like a single speaker.

You could also place them on stands (head to head) and place them horizontally.

Brian might have some ideas how each of those would work as far as comb filtering (if that might be a problem or not)

Are you doing a DYI AT screen?  If not let me know.  Have a couple ideas 4U.

I have added a Cinenova Grande 3 to my 5 to round out a 7.1 system. The only problem is that the 40s, 2s, LRC and my twin 18" sealed subs are all sitting in my basement waiting for the HT to be built.

The waiting game  :cry:

I also plan to try a Anthem MRX 700 receiver on my RM30s in my living room system once all my other gear move downstairs for the HT.

Multiple HT's!!  Yes. . .

7x57

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:50 am »
I have used nothing but a Conrad-Johnson MF-2250 with my Ribbon Monitor One speakers. They both replaced my Vandersteen Model 2Ci powered by a B&K ST-202+ through a B&K Pro-10MC preamp. The B&K amp uses mosfet output transistors, but the MF-2250 uses bipolar transistors for very high current capability. None of that "mosfet mist" that Sam Tellig wrote about in B&K amps. C-J solid state was and still is VERY underrated and available for almost highway robbery prices relative to its performance. Would own a Premier 350 if I could afford it. My preamp is a C-J PV-14L with NOS Mullard M8080 tubes, which are factory original ( and still like new after 11 years of service....military grade all the way) and far better than RCA 6C4 tubes. I sent Andy Bowman of Vintage Tube Services four RCA 6C4 tubes and eight Mullard M8080 tubes (sourced from Watford Valves and identical to the C-J factory originals) for evaluation in his SOTA lab grade tube testing setup, and only one of the RCA 6C4 tubes barely passed, and all eight  of the Mullard M8080 tubes passed with flying colors. My phono preamp is a C-J EV-1, which is a baby Premier 15, and all the tubes were supplied by Vintage Tube Services. The factory original EI ECC83 input tubes sound very good, but went microphonic within 500 hours of use, and are patterned after the Telefunken ECC83 flat plates. Andy set me up with some Mullard copies made by Matsushita/National in Japan, as Mullard set up the factory for them. They are every bit as good as Mullard, as a very steep discount. The low feedback C-J amps fit a fast ribbon based loudspeaker very well. They are incredibly fast and dynamic while remaining liquid, sonically grainless, harmonically correct and totally nonfatigueing. Even with my less revealing Vandersteen Model 2Ci speakers, the insertion of the MF-2250 into my system was a revelation and resulted in the purchase of the entire C-J amp stack and eventually the purchase of the hyper detailed Ribbon Monitor One speakers. The downside is that a large percentage of my record collection is revealed for the flawed crapola that they are. The B&K and Vandersteen combination may be a "music lover's" preference if collectiong a large quantity of flawed recordings. When the C-J/VMPS combo soars, they REALLY soar with the right source material. My phono turntable setup is a VPI/Denon combination. The Denon cartridge is much better than the Grado it replaced, and Andy Bowman heartily agreed (but he uses a megabucks Decca cartridge himself).