Help! Ref 3a, Gen II, Type M3

raztec

Help! Ref 3a, Gen II, Type M3
« on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:47 am »
I'm looking at purchasing a pair of used Reference 3a, Type M3, Generation II tower speakers. But I don't know anything about them and was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out.

I had a listen to them and compared them to a pair of B&W 704 and they are definitely less fatiguing than the B&W.

These are about 9 years old and in good cosmetic shape and the guy is asking $1300/pair.

1. Is this a fair price?
2. Any issues with these speakers I should be aware of?

Thanks a bunch

Raz

GuyDebord

Re: Help! Ref 3a, Gen II, Type M3
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2007, 10:51 pm »
The Reference 3a are by far superior to the 704, they are in another league, however, the tower speakers are not what R3a is known for superb sound. R3a's are magnificent monitor speaker, from the master controls, to the royal master's, di cappo's and ducets, until very recently they have launched the only ultra high end towers in the Veena series, (excluding la suprema which was a combination of monitor and subwoofer in a tower arrangement and were super expensive).

So, if your option is between the r3a's and the 704's the decision is very simple.... trust your ears, you said it yourself, they were better,

good luck,

raztec

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2007, 06:51 am »
As far as deciding between these Ref3A and the B&W 704s, you're right they definitely do sound better.

But the question I had was whether anyone knows anything about this particular model. Towers like these are very rare in the Ref3a line. They were made in France not Canada like the newer models.

I'm wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of, like the minimum power required to drive them, how to check if they've been abused, if the silk tweeter will hold up with time etc.

Thanks,
Raz

goldring

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2007, 12:02 pm »
Hi,
maybe we have the same speakers?
Pls look at my topic (Reference 3A Cristal Master)