De Capos with Decware SE84CS

Jonathan

De Capos with Decware SE84CS
« on: 15 May 2006, 04:27 pm »
I have a line on a good deal on an SE84 CS.

I've seen a few posts about this, but I'd like to hear again from anyone who has paired the DC's with the SE84CS. My room is 13x13 and I sit fairly close, but I'm still not sure if the Decware will have enough headroom for the times when I want to turn it up a bit or listen to large scale music.

Thanks!

Jon

TIC

Re: De Capos with Decware SE84CS
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2006, 04:43 pm »
The Zen did not work in my system with my DeCapos (non-i version).

I have a couple of friends that are huge Zen Select fans. One of them also designs, builds and sells speakers designed specifically for use with the Decware Zen amp. According to my friend, the Zen amp really works best with a speaker that has a 2 ohm nominal load. When I tried the Zen in my system, the amp actually puked at only moderate volume. It let out a sound through the speakers the likes of which I've never heard before!

I think Decware has now designed a version of the Zen amp that works better with an 8 ohm speaker. If you are even thinking of attempting this combination, I would suggest you insure the unit you buy is designed for 8 ohm speakers. Or, potentially you could buy an autoformer that would present a more appealing load to the amp.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on this site in recent months.

Enjoy,

TIC

Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2006, 03:06 pm »

No problem about the late reply--it seems no one is particularly interested in this circle any more. I'm not sure what happened to the enthusiasm for the De Capos, but it seems to have waned somewhat.

To that point, over the past months I have upgraded all other components in my system (Sony SCD-1, Quicksilver Mini Mite Mono amps, FT Audio LW preamp) and although the DCs sound amazing on great recordings, they're still a tad bit forward in the upper mids/lower highs, and somewhat lacking in mid bass. I am sure my room is somewhat (read: alot) to blame, but I still wonder if I might be happier with something else. Anyone else out there made the switch to something different lately?

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2006, 04:01 pm »

No problem about the late reply--it seems no one is particularly interested in this circle any more. I'm not sure what happened to the enthusiasm for the De Capos, but it seems to have waned somewhat.

To that point, over the past months I have upgraded all other components in my system (Sony SCD-1, Quicksilver Mini Mite Mono amps, FT Audio LW preamp) and although the DCs sound amazing on great recordings, they're still a tad bit forward in the upper mids/lower highs, and somewhat lacking in mid bass. I am sure my room is somewhat (read: alot) to blame, but I still wonder if I might be happier with something else. Anyone else out there made the switch to something different lately?

Well, it seems you've given them their fair shake, given how many component changes you've made around the MMDC over the years.  I'd just change them at this point.

davejcb

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2006, 01:14 am »
Two SE84CS weren't enough for me, and I doubt one would be for you.

troutsnook

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2006, 09:36 pm »
The Quicksilver amps you own will drive the de capos just fine.  I have had that combination on trial in my room before.  The forward presentation does seem to be characteristic of the de capo in certain situations.  I have heard them sound quite nice with the right combination of tweaks.  A heavy stand will help with bass reinforcement - the Mapleshade stands that are low to the floor and tilt back the speaker do wonders for this type of situation.  They will warm up nicely.  If also pays to stick with interconnects and speaker cables that are not overly analytical, since that trait can be amplified by the de capos.  While they are relatively efficient, I don't think any of the Decware amps will really do them justice except for the 25 watt push pull pentode model.  You really need closer to 100 db efficiency for 2 to 6 watts to really come alive.  The de capos are really nice - if the wife had liked them, I might have bought them.

Bob

Tish

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2007, 05:53 pm »
Hi, I was runing a pair of selects on my Decapo's and there was not enough power, then I tried a Decware SE34I.2 on the woofers and used the selects on the tweeters in a passive biamp hookup, and that did the trick! So now I'm thinking about an active crossover, but I could live with this arangement from now on!   Tish

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2007, 08:10 pm »
I think Decware has now designed a version of the Zen amp that works better with an 8 ohm speaker. If you are even thinking of attempting this combination, I would suggest you insure the unit you buy is designed for 8 ohm speakers. Or, potentially you could buy an autoformer that would present a more appealing load to the amp.

They offer the "EX" option, which just involves swapping the output transformers with ones optimized for 8-16ohm loads. Something you can either have Steve do at the time of order or just do it yourself later on, IIRC.

doorman

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2007, 08:58 pm »
As a happy Zen Select owner, I'll just say here, re: the "EX-Mod" trafos, which are not designed for low impedence loads, that some of us have encountered significant hum with them. Steve Deckert says they can be very quiet, however. They add more "weight" to the presentation, but you'll need more power, IMHO. A pity,'cause they really are outstanding amps with efficient speakers.
                                                                               Don