Whatever happened to the Reference 3a moderator?

mcrespo71

« on: 7 May 2006, 04:49 pm »
He hasn't posted in years??? :nono:

Emil

« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2006, 06:18 pm »
I believe he owns Neats now :lol:

Jonathan

Re: Whatever happened to the Reference 3a moderator?
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2006, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71

Good question. Another one might be "Whatever happened to the Reference 3a Circle?"

It's been awfully slow around here for a long time. You guys still own your De Capos? What's up?  :)

Terry

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2006, 09:47 pm »
Jonathan,

I think it is understandable for what is, after all, a fairly small group of Reference 3A owners. And have you noticed that the DeCapos have not been mentioned in the mags in quite some time (although the Dulcets have been recently reviewed in IAR).

As far as keeping the DeCapos is concerned, I'm afraid not. I have moved back to the Quad 57s which are, IMHO, still one of the best speakers you can buy at any price. The DeCapos are excellent but I can't give up the sound of the ESL - simply superior in every respect.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2006, 10:01 pm »
No, I sold mine for Neats, but I still respect the brand.

Michael

panderso

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2006, 01:28 pm »
As to the light traffic in this circle, I mean to post some observations on the Veenas I've owned for just over 6 months now, as soon as I get through a project at work.  

The short version; I find them quite beguiling, gathering in the virtues of the Dulcets and DeCapos, but with greater bass extension.  IMHO, and contrary to the decidely lukewarm UHF review, the tweeter is a significant progression compared to the other two members of the family.  Limited comparison indicates, no surprise here, that they come alive more fully with tubes than with most SS, although they're no slouches with Naim, maybe better with Arcam.

As to the references to switching to Neats, the first post on point looked like it might have been a joke, the second mention of Neats appeared quite serious.  Which Neats did you move to Micrespo 71, and what is your experience with them?  I'm thinking of keeping the Veenas for tubes, and getting Neat Motives for my Nait 5i.                 -paul-

mcrespo71

Re: Whatever happened to the Reference 3a moderator?
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2006, 05:02 pm »
As to the light traffic in this circle, I mean to post some observations on the Veenas I've owned for just over 6 months now, as soon as I get through a project at work.  

The short version; I find them quite beguiling, gathering in the virtues of the Dulcets and DeCapos, but with greater bass extension.  IMHO, and contrary to the decidely lukewarm UHF review, the tweeter is a significant progression compared to the other two members of the family.  Limited comparison indicates, no surprise here, that they come alive more fully with tubes than with most SS, although they're no slouches with Naim, maybe better with Arcam.

As to the references to switching to Neats, the first post on point looked like it might have been a joke, the second mention of Neats appeared quite serious.  Which Neats did you move to Micrespo 71, and what is your experience with them?  I'm thinking of keeping the Veenas for tubes, and getting Neat Motives for my Nait 5i.                 -paul-

Man, I saw this late.  I own Neat Mystique II and I love them.  Get a demo, but everything you hear about their drive and timing is definitely true.