DAC or CDP with Volume Control

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
DAC or CDP with Volume Control
« on: 1 Feb 2015, 01:21 am »
Hey Guys,

Looking for another option for a CDP or DAC with volume control. love the minimal approach.

I have the Bel Canto DAC 3 and have tried the Wadia 830. The Wadia 850 is better than the Bel Canto, but these are rare anymore. The Wadia stuff in general is either too expensive or the older models are not very available.

Does anybody have a unit that does the volume control from somebody maybe here at AC or anywhere else?

Xindac used to make one with a tube pre but haven't seen that in a few years.

Thanks

avta

Re: DAC or CDP with Volume Control
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2015, 03:54 am »
I used to have an Anedio dac with built in volume control. Well built and good value. I ultimately went to a separate dac and preamp as I found the sound more pleasing. Some experts ( I'm not one ) think that built in volume controls degrade sound. My own experience is too small to generalize about it but I'm sure if you did some looking around online you would find lots of info. This site and ComputerAudiophile are good places to start.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2015, 04:17 am »
There is no technical reason to support the above expert's speculation that a built in volume control (to DAC or CDP) might degrade sound.
And there are many technical reasons why the addition of an unneccessary component (preamp in this case) will degrade the sound.

The majority of DACs these days do feature the ability to control volume, and if you do not need a preamp for multiple source switching, going direct from DAC to amplifier can indeed improve a system's performance.  Less components in the signal path means less distortion/noise.

zapper7

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2015, 03:30 pm »
Barrows, that's my thinking too, just need a few more options to try out.

thanks

srb

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2015, 03:38 pm »
More than a few AudioCircle members who compared several DACs with volume controls direct to power amplifier preferred the implementation and sound quality of the Benchmark DAC2 HGC and the NAD M51.

Steve

mmike84

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2015, 03:48 pm »
The Berkeley alpha dacs can be used without a preamp. I have enjoyed using mine this way. Ultimately though I decided to keep my preamp in the chain but I could have been happy without as well.

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2015, 05:25 pm »
Hi Zapper,

Try auditioning the iFi Micro iDSD.  It has a host of features and does almost any format.  Excellent sounding and not expensive ($499 retail).  If you want to add tube richness/harmonics audition their iTube.  For increased warmth, change the stock GE tube. 

Cheers,
Paul

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2015, 05:52 pm »
This Wyred 4 Sound has a volume control.  Its an awesome DAC.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/dacs/dac-2-series

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2015, 06:35 pm »
Several of the Audio gd DACs have excellent volume controls, DSD, headphone amps, and the latest chips.  You do have to be okay with ordering from China, but they are a well established company with many happy customers.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2015, 10:44 pm »
Another DAC with a volume control is the Chord Hugo, here is a review that I did on it comparing it to the Wyred 4 sound-

Chord Hugo DAC
Last Saturday night a friend of mine brought over his new Chord Hugo portable DAC which sells for about $2500 along with his Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 DSDse DAC with the Femto Clock upgrade which he is selling.

I was fortunate to compare both. This is the second time that I was able to hear the Wyred in my system. It is a DAC that I have considered buying. It has a neutral sound and is extremely dynamic and detailed. I listen to a lot of acoustic guitar and the pluck of the guitar strings are very real and natural. Bass is explosive, tight and fast. In fact the Wyred is a very fast DAC in its presentation. It has good air and transparency and it has a completely black background. It takes my system to another level.

The Chord Hugo is also a very good DAC. It does not look like much and I did not expect it to sound as good as the Wyred. But I was astounded at the sound that came out of this little box. The Chord has a slightly warmer slower paced sound with a lush midrange and more depth to the music. Things just sounded right and it drew you into the music. The music was more involving and emotional. Bass was more natural and musical although it was not quite as explosive as on the Wyred. However, it was still very powerful, dynamic and controlled. There was no fatigue to the sound. I could listen to music for hours with the Hugo. Vocals were the most natural and live sounding that I have heard. The timbre and decay of piano notes were phenomenal.

Compared to the Wyred it was slightly less detailed and the attack was not as razor sharp, especially on acoustic guitar and piano. (I am not saying that the Hugo is not detailed. It just does not have the level of detail that the Wyred has) The sound stage was not quite as wide but the front to back depth was deeper. Cymbals were also a bit more natural with the Wyred. The Hugo was more involving and engaging to listen to. The Hugo had a more tube like, romantic and pleasing sound, a sound that I could be happy with for the rest of my life.

Here is a link to the Hugo-

http://chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=92

I placed both DAC's in my reference system which consist's of a Pass X250 amp. BAT Vk 51se preamp and Magnepan 1.6 speakers.

zapper7

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2015, 12:47 am »
The Anedio looks interesting and reasonably priced.

Does anyone have experience with the PS Audio Perfect Wave II, that seems to be well reviewed .