Adhesive for multi-layer "vinyl polymer?"

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Adhesive for multi-layer "vinyl polymer?"
« on: 1 Jul 2015, 12:30 am »
In reply to question, "What is the best arm board material?" George Merrill of TT fame replied, "The best rigid energy damping material for turntable parts manufacturing is vinyl polymer."

5" square fence post comprises 3.35mm thick material which appears to be "vinyl polymer."  It's surprising how rigid is even one layer of this material. 

I consider gluing three layers of this fence post material to make TT arm board just over 10mm thick.  This would appear to be plenty rigid, and glued multiple layers increases damping.   

Please post if you recommend something other than regular vinyl flooring adhesive.     

(George's website with his latest $6500 TT is www.hifigem.com.)   

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Adhesive for multi-layer "vinyl polymer?"
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2015, 01:08 am »
James, I don't know a bunch about vinyl polymers, but I do know vinyl flooring adhesive and I can't see it being good for what I think you're describing. It doesn't so much become a part of an assembly as it is a sticky and somewhat flexible interface.

I think you'd be better off with something that actually softens and sorta amalgamates to vinyl, in the same way PVC pipe glue does. I don't have specific recs, but I'll bet these folks could help.

http://www.eplastics.com/pvc-vinyl-glue

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: Adhesive for multi-layer "vinyl polymer?"
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:40 am »
James, I don't know a bunch about vinyl polymers, but I do know vinyl flooring adhesive and I can't see it being good for what I think you're describing. It doesn't so much become a part of an assembly as it is a sticky and somewhat flexible interface.

That makes sense. 

I think you'd be better off with something that actually softens and sorta amalgamates to vinyl, in the same way PVC pipe glue does. I don't have specific recs, but I'll bet these folks could help. http://www.eplastics.com/pvc-vinyl-glue

Thanks very much!