Tomorrow is the first day of spring, right????

Wayner

Tomorrow is the first day of spring, right????
« on: 19 Mar 2015, 08:28 pm »
Well, I can't take winter anymore, so the stereo went out into the garage today. No AVA stuff (yet) but the usual Marantz SR-4021 receiver and a different set of speakers. These are speakers that I have worked on (and off) for around 7 years. I can't tell you how many cross-overs were in these, but in the end, it was a simple 6db first order that did it. The tweeter is the now discontinued Morel MDT-20 and the woofer is a SEAS 6.5" P17RC (also now discontinued).

They sound really nice together and I am glad the mission is finally done. The system is basically my BBQ and beer system when its time to grill something (Friday or Saturday nights).

Wayner

Minn Mark

Re: Tomorrow is the first day of spring, right????
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2015, 06:00 pm »
Nice.

They look like acoustic suspension (sealed box)?

:thumb:

Yes, Spring is here. Fertilized the lawns today...

Mark

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2015, 07:16 pm »
Ported in the rear.

sfox7076

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2015, 07:50 pm »
Snowing like mad in NYC right now...

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2015, 08:11 pm »
I'm so sick of it, we are considering moving to a different state. Winter basically lasts 5 to 6 months here in Minnesota, and it tries to kill you while its at it. Road salt destroys the roads, automobiles, concrete, then there is the heating bill, and worst of all, noise from the furnace to disturb fine audio listening. I have my thermostat programmed to shut off from 4 to 5:30pm just for that reason (beer O'clock, spinning vinyl).

Did I mention going buggy living in the man cave for 5 to 6 months. It's getting really close to saying "F" this and go find a new camp.

:)

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2015, 02:00 am »
Hi all,
a long, long time ago when I was living Siberia or Canada
(About the same 6 months per year)
I always said that the Montreal's winters were always too cold
and always tooooooooo long.
When spring came, we always had a last minute big snow storm,
that was discouraging, because the winter never seems to end
and the snow was almost all gone at that time (March).
That's the reason why I decided to go back to Montreal at the end of April,
less chances of snow and Siberian cold
and more chances of milder temperatures,
minds you after 20 years on planet Vietnam,
for me 20C/68F will be cold...

Guy 13 from 35C planet Vietnam.

rcag_ils

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2015, 06:33 pm »
The Vietnamese was our enemy during the war, I wonder if they knew that they indirectly helped to create the best music in the U.S. history during that era.

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming, we're finally on our own.......

May 4, 1970.

PS, we won't see this kind of music be created again, they are all junk now.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:01 pm »
Here in New Jersey it was 33 degrees at 9am. I went to get the Sunday donuts and like every morning since last Oct I was wearing gloves and a hat. I can't wait till a sweater is optional and a baseball cap is for keeping the sun out of your eyes. When does Spring really start?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2015, 07:32 pm »
70°F, 21.11°C; sapphire blue sky. The only clouds are over the mountain tops, miles from here. Dark grey bottoms, super white tops. Pleasant breeze, freakin' awesome.  :thumb:

soundbitten1

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2015, 12:44 am »
Just got back from 4 weeks in south Florida. In a few days I went from laying on the beach in 85 degree weather  8) to snow shoeing on layers of hard, frozen, compact snow.  :?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2015, 01:25 am »
I really don't want spring to come too quick. Otherwise I'll be up to my elbows in mud and water. Besides, I got syrup to make. I need warm days and below freezing nights for the next three weeks or so.

Doc

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:01 pm »
I'm so sick of it, we are considering moving to a different state. Winter basically lasts 5 to 6 months here in Minnesota, and it tries to kill you while its at it. Road salt destroys the roads, automobiles, concrete, then there is the heating bill, and worst of all, noise from the furnace to disturb fine audio listening. I have my thermostat programmed to shut off from 4 to 5:30pm just for that reason (beer O'clock, spinning vinyl).

Did I mention going buggy living in the man cave for 5 to 6 months. It's getting really close to saying "F" this and go find a new camp.

Yep, here in Michigan we can easily get 10 inches of snow in November or April.  So I tell folks that realistically May is early spring, June is late spring, September is early autumn, October is late autumn.  I had the ductwork in my insulated man cave made of flexible lined fiberglass.  The result is that I can barely hear the furnace that sits within 15 feet of the cave.

G E

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:32 pm »
Wayner,
I feel your pain. I left MN for GA 30 years ago. Four primary reasons were Jan, Feb, Mar and adventure.

I was in Rochester a few weeks ago and we left when there was 5 inches of fresh snow. It went on for a total of 11 inches. This reaffirmed my decision all those years ago.

But minneapolis and MN are charming for 8 or 9 months and it is home to some fabulous sound reproduction companies like AVA of course.

Every locale has its drawbacks... Atlanta Is a real hellhole to drive in much of the time. And our politicians are stupid beyond belief....

But I do enjoy cooking on my Big Green a Egg 100+ days a year

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:52 pm »
  Spring ?? A rumor ? Nah just those audio manufactures controlling the weather so we can stay inside and buy more gear. :lol: :lol:

charles

avahifi

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2015, 09:43 pm »
82 degrees here yesterday, due for a 50 degree drop tonight.  Winter is still trying to hang on here.  Still have a good supply of naturally cryogenic treated chassis.

Frank

tipatina

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2015, 11:18 pm »
In South Louisiana last weekend. Lovely and no hint of Old Man Winter.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:32 am »

Where are you thinking about?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2015, 02:37 am »
What a winter this year has been in this country. Here in Seattle we've had less rain than normal but it's still wet. All I read about is the massive amounts of snow so much of the country has had, I feel for you guys. We don't usually get much snow if any in Seattle but we didn't even get it in the mountains. I'm a snow skier and the skiing was terrible this year, we didn't even go.

It's definitely spring here, the tulips and heather are in full bloom and have been for a couple of weeks now. The maples are pushing out along with most of the other deciduous trees and we are hanging in at around 40 to 60 degrees. 

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2015, 12:15 pm »
Where are you thinking about?

I don't know. Somewhere farther south, but not as far south as Florida or Texas or Arizona......

G E

« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2015, 02:35 pm »
I don't know. Somewhere farther south, but not as far south as Florida or Texas or Arizona......

I know people in Kansas City and they love it.

Nashville would be interesting. Lots of music there.