Ortofon Cadenza Black! Oh My!

Sonny

Ortofon Cadenza Black! Oh My!
« on: 7 Jan 2015, 10:08 pm »
All,

I just wanted to give a quick shout to how good the Ortofon Cadenza Black sounds!  I have had Shelter 7000, 901 and 501, Dynavector 20xl and XX1, Benz Ace SL, Ruby Z, Ref Silver 3, Denon 103r, AT AT33PTG, ZYX Airy 3 SB, and a few others, and out of the box, this Cadenza Black has all the qualities of the Shelters (details details details) without the harshness / brightness;  the body and warmth of the Benz but without the lack of HF extension; the transparency of the ZYX but more body and dynamics; and the speed and neutrality of the Dynavectors but more musical and overall enjoyable.

Anyways those of you that have this cart, what are your thoughts?

Here's a few pictures of the new set up.

audio.bill

Re: Ortofon Cadenza Black! Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2015, 12:27 am »
I run the Cadenza Bronze mounted on an Origin Live Enterprise-C arm and a Nottingham Dais. I find the Cadenza line to be exceptional sounding performers which track effortlessly, and offer a tremendously good value when compared to many of today's overpriced cartridges. The Bronze has just a touch more warmth than the Black, while the Black is perhaps a bit more detailed. Depending upon your system's balance and personal preferences, you really can't go wrong with either one.  :thumb:

Minn Mark

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2015, 08:04 pm »
Sonny,
Care to share what phono preamp, ext you are using?.  I have Ortofan 2m Red and Sumiko Blackbird  on VPI; am looking to find something new and the Cadenza line sounds promising.  My set up is for MM just now so am interested to hear the details of your system as to its synergy. Thanks.

Mark

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2015, 08:56 pm »
Sonny,
Care to share what phono preamp, ext you are using?.  I have Ortofan 2m Red and Sumiko Blackbird  on VPI; am looking to find something new and the Cadenza line sounds promising.  My set up is for MM just now so am interested to hear the details of your system as to its synergy. Thanks.

Mark

Off topic a bit and in a different stratosphere.  I have a 2M Black and its awesome.  I would try one. 

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:10 pm »
Sonny,

Mark

Mark, sorry, sometimes I write these post with only limited time and don't have a chance to list the associated equipment, but here it is.  I should also add this to my profile so it's more available.

Cart:  Oftofon Cadenza Black
Table Components:  VPI JMW 12.5i arm, VPI HRX Super Platter
Plinth:  DIY - Aluminum and Lead shot filled
Phono Pre:  DIY Pass XONO
Setting:  50 ohms
Gain:  60db
Integrated:  Marantz PM11S3 - 100 wpc
Speakers:  DIY GeerS eVe II
Cables:  all DIY silver plated copper

The VTF on the cart is riding at 2.3 grams and at first I was thinking that the increase in VTF from the other carts I've used (normally 1.8 - 2.0 grams) would damage the record, but Geary, a circle member, said that more VTF means better tracking and less excess banging of the stylus on the record, thus reducing record wear.  Makes sense to me!

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:14 pm »
Sonny, you are one sick bastard........:)

Sonny

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:40 pm »
Thanks Wayner...sometimes "Sick" is not a bad thing!

Here's a link to listen to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EPoKJyNWs

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:47 pm »
I kid of course, you have done well.....

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:50 pm »
I kid of course, you have done well.....

I know... :thumb:

Minn Mark

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2015, 06:15 pm »
Thanks Sonny,

Looks ( and I bet sounds ) killer.

Mark

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2015, 06:41 pm »
Thanks Sonny,

Looks ( and I bet sounds ) killer.

Mark

thanks Mark...I have to say, yes to both!  :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2015, 06:43 pm »
Sonny,

Mark

Mark, depending on budget, I hear the Bronze gets rave reviews...and the blue is not too shabby either.

jupiterboy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2015, 05:09 pm »
Nice cartridge. Nice job loading that plinth. Bet it sounds great!

Grbluen

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2015, 04:40 pm »
Sonny, you're killing me! Isn't it enough that I'm using the photos of your table as my wallpaper on everything!

Sonny

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2015, 05:42 pm »
Sonny, you're killing me! Isn't it enough that I'm using the photos of your table as my wallpaper on everything!

Good to know!

I am too!

jlawson1977

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2015, 11:56 am »
I run the Cadenza Bronze mounted to an SME 309 on an Avid Volvere table.  In my system, the Bronze is slightly more musical than the Black.  I was fortunate at the time as my dealer allowed me to demo both cartridges.  I settled on the Bronze as it gave me a little better synergy with the rest of the system.  The Black is certainly a great performer though. 

Glorious table Sonny !!!

watercourse

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:51 pm »
I've seen and heard Sonny's table - it's a beaut! Looks even better in person, if you can believe it. Excellent job, Sonny!

It really is more musical than the last DIY effort, especially with that new Ortofon. Can't wait 'til it hits 50 hours - at just a few hours only, it was really clear that this will be a killer setup.

Sonny

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2015, 11:08 pm »
I've seen and heard Sonny's table - it's a beaut! Looks even better in person, if you can believe it. Excellent job, Sonny!

It really is more musical than the last DIY effort, especially with that new Ortofon. Can't wait 'til it hits 50 hours - at just a few hours only, it was really clear that this will be a killer setup.

Thanks Wilson!  Trying to get more hours.  Will get you back here once I hit 50 hours!

P.S. Ron Carter's bass sure sounds good!

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2015, 06:02 pm »
I'm also using a Cadenza Black and agree it sounds excellent. :D I'm using it on an SME 20/3 with Series V tonearm and a Simaudio Moon 310LP + 320S for the phono stage. I think I could improve things a bit more with a better phono stage but for now I'm extremely pleased.

Sonny

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2015, 04:12 am »
I'm also using a Cadenza Black and agree it sounds excellent. :D I'm using it on an SME 20/3 with Series V tonearm and a Simaudio Moon 310LP + 320S for the phono stage. I think I could improve things a bit more with a better phono stage but for now I'm extremely pleased.

Yes, I think you would get much more out of the Cadenza Black with a better phono pre...though the Simaudio is nice...but don't they have a higher end one?  I have a nice DIY preamp that I may be open to letting you borrow.

I am also Local, in Oakland, near Berkeley.

Tuan