Bryston BDP-Pi

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #180 on: 3 Sep 2017, 05:18 am »
I'm grateful for the reply, but don't really understand what you mean. What are audio CD features? I do not presently own a CD player, nor do I know what a BDP has to do with CDs.

Edited to add: I got an e-mail from Chris from Bryston support (sent after business hours, which I think is pretty great service) who said pretty much that if everything works (Radio, Tidal, the Music Player) that I should just ignore the "No internet connection". Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but perhaps its just a temporary bug and will fix itself. (Turning the BDP on and off, restarting my computer, has no effect--still says "BDP has no internet connection.")

Edited again: [RANT] ARRGH! Just had a problem like described by schmidtmike76, got a log in request when going to the Tidal application, would not accept my credentials, but clicking on anything on the left-hand Tidal menu just brought me to Tidal anyway.  But crazy things are happening, such as not allowing me to select lossless and my USB DAC doesn't appear in devices. When I select an artist, sometimes only top tracks appear, no discography! "Discography" is grayed out! (On artists where I know there are albums there) Turning the BDP on and off seems to have fixed some things, but not others, I AM GETTING AWFULLY TIRED OF THESE QUIRKS. I would be prepared to say I have a faulty or slow internet connection, but I don't have these problems when using Tidal's own desktop app. [/RANT]

When everything works right, I am delighted to have an incredible library of music at my fingertips--Tidal--play through my home stereo, without having physical media take up space.

you can connect a usb optical drive to the BDP and the BDP will have the ability to play audio cd's and to rip them, identifying the cd relies on an internet connection, if no internet connection is available this tells it not try to identify by way of internet sources.

The issue is due to a change outside of our control

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #181 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:59 pm »
you can connect a usb optical drive to the BDP and the BDP will have the ability to play audio cd's and to rip them, identifying the cd relies on an internet connection, if no internet connection is available this tells it not try to identify by way of internet sources.

The issue is due to a change outside of our control

OK, thanks. This sounds like something that doesn't affect me as I won't be ripping any CDs. What I mostly care about is a stable, reliable Tidal experience. Though why it would say "BDP has no internet connection" when I obviously do (internet radio and Tidal work) remains a mystery.

Pundamilia

« Reply #182 on: 3 Sep 2017, 05:14 pm »
you can connect a usb optical drive to the BDP and the BDP will have the ability to play audio cd's and to rip them, identifying the cd relies on an internet connection

Does this imply that you can connect any external CD drive via USB (not just Bryston's BOT) and rip CDs using the BDP? What control software is required? Can it be done from within Manic Moose?

Thanks.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #183 on: 3 Sep 2017, 06:20 pm »
Does this imply that you can connect any external CD drive via USB (not just Bryston's BOT) and rip CDs using the BDP? What control software is required? Can it be done from within Manic Moose?

Thanks.

I find it curious that there is nothing in the Owners Manual about this.

Pundamilia

« Reply #184 on: 3 Sep 2017, 07:03 pm »
Yes. Me too. I checked both the BDP-2 Owner's Manual and the Manic Moose documentation. Nothing in MM. OM mentions attaching external disc drives, but specifically refers to hard drives, not even the BOT-1 which may have come after the original documentation was written. Ergo, you would expect some mention in the MM docs. The BOT-1 features section on the Bryston website mentions that with the BOT-1 "Take full control over ripping parameters and meta-data using our Manic Moose web interface on your tablet or smartphone, or let the BDP do it automatically and rip with a single button press on the front panel of the BDP". But does that utilize instructions in the BOT-1 firmware or can you use any old "dumb" external drive? Waiting to hear the last word from Bryston.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #185 on: 3 Sep 2017, 11:13 pm »
I find it curious that there is nothing in the Owners Manual about this.

It should be covered in the bot-1 manual, yes most USB Optical drives should work, apple's USB super drive will not.

Pundamilia

« Reply #186 on: 3 Sep 2017, 11:46 pm »
I will conduct an empirical test and report back!

bobf

« Reply #187 on: 4 Sep 2017, 01:10 am »
I don't think the Bryston/Tidal interface application is all that great. There was a problem a while back logging in if your Tidal password had special characters (@#!$,etc) but I think that was fixed. I still have a problem in that it frequently defaults to raspberry and I have to reset it to my NAD USB DAC. Right now I am having a problem because it says I have no internet connection (my internet works, and the correct lights are indicated on the pi Ethernet port). I have e-mailed Bryston Support, but it's the weekend.
My BDP3 reported no internet connection for past two days while I was streaming radio. Internet connection was fine and everything kept working as usual.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #188 on: 4 Sep 2017, 01:17 am »
My BDP3 reported no internet connection for past two days while I was streaming radio. Internet connection was fine and everything kept working as usual.

Hi Folks

Yes it's a bug - Chris is working on it.

James

Pundamilia

« Reply #189 on: 4 Sep 2017, 03:53 pm »
you can connect a usb optical drive to the BDP and the BDP will have the ability to play audio cd's and to rip them

Yes, it works - sort of. I was able to rip a CD to my BDP-2 music drive using Manic Moose and an off-the-shelf LG external CD/DVD reader/writer (approx. C$25). However, the process was kludgy, slow and error-prone i.e. not recommended. I tried ripping 4 different CDs and was only successful with one. With the others, the drive door popped open mid-way through and appeared to "hang" the BDP-2. I guess that's why Bryston offers a $1,400 BOT-1, rather than a $25 off-the-shelf drive! :o :cry: :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #190 on: 4 Sep 2017, 04:01 pm »
Yes, it works - sort of. I was able to rip a CD to my BDP-2 music drive using Manic Moose and an off-the-shelf LG external CD/DVD reader/writer (approx. C$25). However, the process was kludgy, slow and error-prone i.e. not recommended. I tried ripping 4 different CDs and was only successful with one. With the others, the drive door popped open mid-way through and appeared to "hang" the BDP-2. I guess that's why Bryston offers a $1,400 BOT-1, rather than a $25 off-the-shelf drive! :o :cry: :scratch:

Hi

Yes the BOT works great - I have ripped about 200 CD's with it so far.

james

brucek

« Reply #191 on: 4 Sep 2017, 07:03 pm »

I'm certainly able to rip CD's all day long without a hitch on my $19 off-the-shelf SATA drive that is resident in my home computer PC. I don't think the price of the drive has anything to do with it. It sounds like software to me. The software may not be completely compatible with an off-the-shelf system.

brucek

Marius

« Reply #192 on: 4 Sep 2017, 08:44 pm »
I'm certainly able to rip CD's all day long without a hitch on my $19 off-the-shelf SATA drive that is resident in my home computer PC. I don't think the price of the drive has anything to do with it. It sounds like software to me. The software may not be completely compatible with an off-the-shelf system.

brucek

Confirmed. Got a 40-ish Euro drive attached to my BDP-1 and it’s working fine. That is to say, as it is designed . Still prefer ripping on my Mac and be able to do all kind of related things (browse for pics, correct tags etc) move files to their destination while doing so, and still be able to play the BDP;-)

Personally I find the option of playing a disc over the BDP far more interesting and more of possible added value.

Cheers,
Marius

schmidtmike76

« Reply #193 on: 7 Sep 2017, 12:50 am »
This is all I'm still getting.  Not a real fan of paying for tidal when I can't use it

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #194 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:00 am »
Mike what version of software are you using?

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #195 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:01 am »
2.34?

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #196 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:08 am »
schmidtmike76, You are not alone in having problems! I went to turn on my BDP-Pi today, and---NOTHING. The power light stays red and the screen is totally blank. Turning the unit on and off has no effect. I have e-mailed support. In this condition I can't even put it in service mode!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #197 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:09 am »
Ok just checking. Mine seems to work fine. So you can not enter your info?

James

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #198 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:12 am »
schmidtmike76, when I had your problem, I clicked on one of the menu items (such as "My Music") and I was taken there and everything worked.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #199 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:12 am »
schmidtmike76, You are not alone in having problems! I went to turn on my BDP-Pi today, and---NOTHING. The power light stays red and the screen is totally blank. Turning the unit on and off has no effect. I have e-mailed support. In this condition I can't even put it in service mode!

Hi Larry

There must be something seriously wrong with your unit. Please email Chris. Maybe we should get that unit back.

James