No Rattles, but Big hum !

2bigears

No Rattles, but Big hum !
« on: 13 May 2022, 11:36 pm »
 :D hello good audio peeps.  Moved to a new province and home. Set up the stereo and major hum once I turn on the amp. Can't even listen to music it's so bad.  What to check first ?  Thanks for any tips for sure.  :D

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: No Rattles, but Big hum !
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2022, 11:43 pm »
DC on your AC lines.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2022, 11:56 pm »
 :D so that is a cause ,,,, how do you rid ?  I once had dedicated lies to the stereo straight from the panel.  It was great sound. But my room was next to the panel.  :D

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2022, 12:16 am »
Unplug interconnects from preamp to amp to find out what is humming. Does the amp still hum without anything plugged in?
Interconnects occasionally do go bad.

Replace power cord, ideally with a shielded cord. An old cord once started humming for no reason.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2022, 12:22 am »
 :D thank you.  I put all power to one outlet. Hum gone. I don't know how that works but it did.  Good lord have mercy on my dumb ass !  Thought it would be better to go to two outlets to spread the load a weee bit.   Thanks guys.   :D  Music is On. These systems with many many parts sure are old school now. My stand is even many many parts. Cables and computers and hard drives,,,, makes moving a real pain 🙈

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2022, 12:24 am »
 :thumb:

andyr

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2022, 12:43 am »
:D thank you.  I put all power to one outlet. Hum gone. I don't know how that works but it did.  Good lord have mercy on my dumb ass !  Thought it would be better to go to two outlets to spread the load a weee bit.   Thanks guys.   :D  Music is On. These systems with many many parts sure are old school now. My stand is even many many parts. Cables and computers and hard drives,,,, makes moving a real pain 🙈

Glad you sorted it.   :thumb:

Re. the first answer to your post ... DC on the mains can cause the power transformer in the amp to vibrate - ie. 'physically hum' - but hum from the spkrs is generally an earthing problem.  And the simplest way of solving this problem is to do exactly what you did.   :)

Andy

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2022, 12:51 am »
 :D thanks. I'm glad as heck it went away. Nothing like blackness.  You can have 12 outlets on one breaker. I just thought it would be better as my 100 pound amp gobbles the little volts right up. And the pre has tubes but it's behaving well.  :D  just like old people having sex,,,, better with darkness,,haha....  :D

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2022, 01:01 am »
Two (or more) different ground paths usually cause ground loops/hum through speakers.
Glad it was a quick and easy fix.  8)

I answered too quickly (assumed only thing that changed was the house electricity) and should have first asked if the hum was through the speakers or from the amp.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2022, 01:09 am »
 :D I love this site. Smart peeps hang here that know gear. It sure was an amp hum and after a days setup and connecting and finding parts all over the place ,,,, haha, I'm so dam glad it's fine. The music once again rides.  :D

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2022, 01:18 am »
Moved to a new province and home.

Warmer and closer to civilization?

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2022, 02:21 am »
 :D haha, it's been the coldest spring EVER. and rain every dam day.  But,, Vancouver Island is very easy on the eyes. So much Nature it's incredible. La Niña is hitting hard with shitty weather.  Yet last summer it hit 50 degs here. Killed 500 people in Vancouver alone. Mother Nature seems mad at us humans.   :D

andyr

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2022, 03:39 am »
Mother Nature seems mad at us humans.   :D

Then again ... as humans are basically a virus that wears shoes - you can understand why.

Andy

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2022, 10:36 am »
:D thank you.  I put all power to one outlet. Hum gone. I don't know how that works but it did.  ............
Thought it would be better to go to two outlets to spread the load a weee bit.   .........................
The best plan is to always put all the equipment on one outlet or at least one circuit.
Unless you have a large home theater system or huge power amps, one 15 or 20 Amp circuit is more than enough.

You may have a mis-wired circuit or outlet!
a Neutral & Safety Ground wire swap can cause problems like that.
and no, those little 3 LED testers probably won;t find the problem.