my struggles

Paul McNeil

my struggles
« on: 13 Jan 2017, 04:02 am »
I've got Maggie 1.7s, they've always been good listening. And I've gone through several amps (Emotiva, Crown), and one sub (Rel). Now I have a Krell Showcase (7 channel) driving the Maggies and 4 Kinergetics subwoofers. This is it, I think! The Maggies definitely need subwoofer support, in my large room, and the acoustic suspension Kinergetics (which go low but not to high db levels) complement well. But the big deal is the Krell amp. Now the Maggies are fully alive, voices are alive, and the bass which includes the subs is to die for!

I'm surprised that I don't find more online about the Maggie/Krell combination, but maybe I just haven't enquired effectively.

PS I do have a bunch of plants in between the Maggies, diffusing the back reflected sound. Thanks to my dear wife! I think this may be important...

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: my struggles
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2017, 05:28 am »
Paul, I can tell you that Maggies need a quality amp.  I drove my 1.6's with a Parasound A21 (an excellent amp in its own right) and when I switched to a Pass Labs X250 amp I was floored at how good they sounded.  The dynamics, musicality and bass dramatically improved along with air and transparency.  Pairing it with my BAT preamp took the Maggies to another level.  I also use dual subs.

So it does not surprise me that you had such an improvement in sound with a quality amp like a Krell.  No disrespect to the Emotiva.  No comment on the Crown.

Barry100

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2017, 01:23 am »
I am using a Krell Evo S2250e to drive my Kinergetic SW-800 subwoofer towers, but not my bi-amped Magnepan 3.6s. They are driven by a pair of stereo hybrid tube/SS amps. The Krell is very well built so I understand why you like it.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2017, 02:03 am »
What preamplifier are you guys using with the krells

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2017, 06:24 pm »
I use a BAT VK-51se tube preamp.  A couple of my friends that have 1.7's and 3.7's also use tube preamps.  I think that a SS amp and tube pre is a good way to go with Maggies.