software to change 16/44 to 24/96

firedog

software to change 16/44 to 24/96
« on: 7 Sep 2009, 08:35 am »
Hi-

I'd like to try upsampling some files to 24/96 to see if I like the sound better. I'm using a PC, and the programs recommended to me for quality resampling are Adobe Audition and izotope. Both cost around $350. I tried Audition, and it doesn't seem to have an option for 24 bit (only 8, 16, and 32).

Can anyone recommend software that does a good job? Preferably not hundreds of bucks if there is such a thing?

Thanks

JohnR

Re: software to change 16/44 to 24/96
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2009, 08:44 am »
Please don't make the same post in multiple locations...

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2009, 11:54 am »
Try R8Brain. It has a free version and sounds good.
Chris H.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2009, 01:53 pm »
As my Circle guidelines state, discussions about redbook (upsampled or not) are best handled in other established Circles (Discless, Apple, Music, etc.).  Upsampling 16/44 to 24/96 does not make it HiRez.

Your thread was started at Discless...that's where it should be...thanks.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:18 pm »
Hi firedog,

Hi-

I'd like to try upsampling some files to 24/96 to see if I like the sound better. I'm using a PC, and the programs recommended to me for quality resampling are Adobe Audition and izotope. Both cost around $350. I tried Audition, and it doesn't seem to have an option for 24 bit (only 8, 16, and 32).

Can anyone recommend software that does a good job? Preferably not hundreds of bucks if there is such a thing?

Thanks

Know that converting a 16/44 file to 24/96 will not add any information to the file.  There will still be nothing above 22.05 kHz and the bottom 8 bits will simply be padded with zeros.

That said, there may still be a subtle audible gain and/or an audible loss.

The gain, if heard, would be the result of the gentler low-pass filtering used in playback.

The loss would be the result of the sample rate conversion algorithm you use and the software in which you use it.  In my experience, most (though not all) sample rate algorithms will tend to harden and brighten the sound through the addition of spurious harmonics.  Some may "like" the result but it is a departure from an accurate representation of the original data.

If you are fortunate to have one of the more transparent sample rate conversion algorithms (the most transparent I've heard to date is iZotope's 64-bit SRC), you can escape the hardening and brightening.  Then, the only negative consequence might be a subtle loss of air, as engendered by many audio programs in my experience (even by simply doing a Save within the program).

On the Mac side, Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor is only $79 and it comes with iZotope's 64-bit SRC (as well as their MBIT+ dither).  On the PC side, things are more expensive as the only way I know to get the 64-bit SRC is as a part of iZotope's RX Advanced, which, if I recall correctly, costs over a thousand dollars.

I'd suggest trying some of the free SRC that is out there and experimenting to find out what you hear and how you feel about it.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com