A TV without speakers, smart apps... does such a thing exist?

rif

• Not a cowboy
I'm thinking about getting another TV, and making a list of requirements.  I really don't need built-in speakers, since I have a nice 5.1 setup.  And don't need smart apps - how many different ways do you need to watch Netflix?

So do they make such devices?  A pipe dream, I know.  But the costs of these things are built into the TV, and they can't be negligible right? 

Guess I'm really just venting.  Or is it the sound of resignation.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
We have a Sony 4KHD TV with bypassable speakers, and no smart tv features, enjoying for about a year now.

nickd

They used to call that a "monitor" and would charge 50% more for some of them. Much lower sales volume I suppose. Tone depth is right. You can turn off the speakers on most new models and the frames are quite small so not sure "monitors" are relevant anymore.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Yeah, they're called projectors.   :)

Doublej

As others have said a professional display or monitor can be found without speakers. You'll pay more in part because they are warrantied for use in a commercial environment. If one takes a consumer TV and uses in a non-consumer environment all bets are off regarding the warranty.

youravhandyman

Professional displays will still have their warranty if used in a residential setting.  One of the reasons that they cost more is that they are designed to be left on for an average business day so 8 to 16 hours or more.  Consumer displays are really not intended to be left on all day like that.  Also, the pro panel can be brighter but will not likely have the latest buzzworthy features that the consumer panels offer like HDR.  So do your research before choosing a pro panel display. 

WC

Vizio's newest models do have speakers, but they don't have any smart apps. You can use googlecast to send stuff to the TV if you would like. Some even include a tablet with them for this purpose.

chip

I don't get why the TVs want the smart apps built in since most people already have a Roku, AppleTV or some other smart gadget.

I just got a 4K with all that stuff which I will probably never use since I already have those items from my other devices.

Most TVs come with the smart apps today.....a few pickings maybe that don't.

werd

In my house I have a 27" Benq gaming monitor. It has no smart apps, no speakers and no remote. The speakers would be a waste of money including the remote since I would never use it. I also have a 35' Benq curved gaming monitor that has no remote but does have audio. I do not use audio on that one only headphones or desktop speakers. You could drop the HDMI on them too since we use D-port on both.

danabunner

Vizio's newest models do have speakers, but they don't have any smart apps. You can use googlecast to send stuff to the TV if you would like. Some even include a tablet with them for this purpose.

Yes, and the P1 series has a fantastic image.

mcgsxr

About 3 years ago when I finished the basement and went to buy a TV, I found that at that time the Smart TV thing was already very prevalent.

It was not easy to find a TV that was not Smart.  And they were about $400-$500 more than the previous "not Smart" version.

I was lucky to find one of the 2 last 60 inch Panny Plasma's (ST60) that was not Smart.

I was already using a KODI box as the source, so all I wanted was a traditional display.

The 55 Panny Plasma on the main floor is Smart.  I have used those capacities exactly ZERO times in 3 years.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Yeah, they're called projectors.   :)

Haha, stole my line!  After going to a 100" projector, I'm never going back.  But then again I'm not a sports/news guy, I use mine exclusively for streaming Netflix and watching movies. 

ctviggen

Haha, stole my line!  After going to a 100" projector, I'm never going back.  But then again I'm not a sports/news guy, I use mine exclusively for streaming Netflix and watching movies.

I  did that too, but I still need a TV for the main family room.  There's too much light to have a projector in that room.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Yeah projectors aren't family friendly (too complicated with the associated sound system and frankly a waste of gear for casual viewing).

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
"Yeah projectors aren't family friendly (too complicated with the associated sound system and frankly a waste of gear for casual viewing)."

I don't agree about them being too complicated. My 10 year old grandson uses my setup quite often.
A decent projector can cost less than a new tv. Will probably last as long as most TV's. Sound gear is pretty cheap.
Watching anything on 120 inch screen is great.

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2016, 11:20 am by Bob2 »

ctviggen

"Yeah projectors aren't family friendly (too complicated with the associated sound system and frankly a waste of gear for casual viewing)."

I don't agree about them being too complicated. My 10 year old grandson uses my setup quite often.
A decent projector can cost less than a new tv. Will probably last as long as most TV's. Sound gear is pretty cheap.
Watching anything on 120 inch screen is great.
Stop by some time and see for yourself..

TV: connect to source, turn on source and TV, watch TV.

Projector: completely black out room, turn on projector, turn on source, turn on receiver, buy multichannel system, determine light output of projector for size of screen you want, pick screen from many different screen types, determine seating arrangement in order to view screen, etc.

I believe it's entirely possible to make it easy to use a projector, but it's much more difficult to actually have a projector. In my last house, I completely redid a room in order to be able to use a projector. In this house, I will build an entire room in order to be able to use a projector. If you do not have good light control, you will have a washed out picture. Good light control is critical. It is also much more difficult to configure the entire system for a projector. Simple things like where do you put the center channel for a projector become involved projects.

So, it's possible to use a projector instead of a TV, but it's not a simple as just buying a projector instead of a TV.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
"Projector: completely black out room, turn on projector, turn on source, turn on receiver, buy multichannel system, determine light output of projector for size of screen you want, pick screen from many different screen types, determine seating arrangement in order to view screen, etc."

Yea I get it about light control but a totally blacked out room is not needed.
Many new projectors produce enough light to use in rooms that aren't super bright. Cheap office projectors do pretty well in brightly lit rooms..

No, a multi channel system is not needed. Many use 2 channel... No requirement for center channel speakers or surrounds.

Seating? Those that set this up in a living room probably already have seating.
Setting this up in a listening space, probably have a seat or two in there unless you stand or lay on the floor.

Those things you mention are nice but many are not needed or could be added at another time.
When I want to watch tv, movie, concert or play video games I press 1 button on the remote. Equipment fires up in the correct sequence, the lights go off, curtains slide closed. in less than a minute I'm looking at what show from what source and waiting the 30 seconds or so to start watching.
It's only as difficult as you make it..

Having a projector is a choice. Some enjoy it others never will.

stlrman

I have a 42 inch plasma Samsung going on 12 years old now .
I have a 120 inch electric screen that drops in front of it for movies , Netflix , special sporting events.
I watch the news, Sportscenter , regular TV on Plasma.
The BenQ 1075 and screen is the best purchase ever. I just use a 2.1 system , eventually I will add the second sub as I have a second one laying in the wings .
I am VERY low tech Bob. I actually have to switch the hdmi cord manually between the cable box  and the Blu-Ray player. I have like 8 remotes :duh: , but I can hook up my projector in 30-45 seconds . No big deal really.

.  To show the awesome size of 120 inch 16x9

audioguy213

the belief that projectors are "hard" is very 10 years ago.

The average HT projector, whether a $600 model or a $3000 model
has an HDMI input, like any television set.

Plug the input from your receiver into it, and you are done, just like any other display.

The nuance of having a "sound system" is something we have all tackled, as is showing our wives how to turn the volume up and down and change inputs on said system, not sure why you think a projector makes ANYTHING harder, because it doesnt.

They are actually VERY room, family, etc friendly, because they replace 70" and 50# of glass that could potentially fall on someone, with 8 pounds of plastic that is easy to mount on the ceiling and out of reach.

many now even have wireless connectivity options, but the point is - no harder than any TV, and you can figure that out.

Likewise, many modern projectors are veritable "light cannons"
VERY bright, the idea that you need a dark or black room is a total falsehood,

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yip. That. ^