Windows 10

Nick77

Windows 10
« on: 29 Jul 2015, 12:41 pm »
Woke up to Windows 10 this morning. Anyone else get it? Had to reload Jriver.

Still looking around but seems faster....  :scratch:

this_is_vv

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2015, 07:26 am »
hows the sound?

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2015, 09:42 am »
That's a very good question, it was downloaded to my laptop and not yet on music server. I gave a listen on my laptop and sounded more impressive than I remember but have no real basis for determining the change.

Keep hoping the silly window will appear on my win7 toolbar CAPS machine to see how it sounds.  :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:53 am »
News inform there is a new browser(Edge). :duh:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:02 pm »
Keep hoping the silly window will appear on my win7 toolbar CAPS machine to see how it sounds.  :duh:

I was notified on my Windows 8 computer, but never received a notification on my Windows 7 computer, likely due to a previous Windows hack to enable the use of Vista's Windows Mail in lieu of Windows 7's Windows Live Mail.

If your CAPS computer has any Windows OS files that were replaced through customization, that could possibly be your situation too.

Steve

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:53 pm »
MS goes through the trouble of eliminating the always susceptible hack prone IE and gives us Edge.

The only easy way to import Favorites to Edge is from IE which I never used. I have over a hundred Favorites so now I have to jump through hoops and spend a half hour to figure out how to import from my FireFox Browser. Most will, just push it aside.
Too connected to that cloud network crap and Edge will not accept a HTML file import for those favorites.
NICE!
NOT!  :roll:
Won't even use it.

Other than that everything is working fine for now in 10 here. Seems peppy. Better interface more like 7 without all the charms and other things in 8-8.1. Moved everything around again so you need to look for adjustments etc.
I'm sure bugs will be fixed.
I usually wait for a couple months when a new system come out but this is a new 3 month old HP laptop so I went with it.

Oh they have "Windows Defender" working again which has been in the past usually useless. We all use our own Virus software's.

From what I have listened to here on this Laptop sound seems pretty nice. "GoolePlay"

Turn off all the MS background spying stuff. Do not log into a MS account etc.
https://bgr.com/2015/07/29/windows-10-privacy-issues/

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/211208-windows-10s-default-privacy-settings-and-controls-leave-much-to-be-desired

« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2015, 05:22 pm by bacobits1 »

emac

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2015, 01:37 pm »
I don't know what others are going to think, but to my ears, Windows 10 sounds better than Windows 7.  I use Foobar -> Meridian Explorer 2 DAC -> a TPA3116 amp -> Dali Mentor Menuets in my computer system, and while previously the system was very detailed (especially w/ the addition of the Explorer 2), it never quite came together musically.  Now, there is better cohesion and less separation of the sounds.  Nice.

bacobits1

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2015, 01:52 pm »
Here is a link to the Win 10 DL site if you are having a "sticky" unresponsive computer update or no notification.
May not work if you do not have an original machine license.

I have read about server errors too just jammed right now.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm »
I had imported favorites from IE to FF as files;
///C:/Users/-/Favorites/Links/AZ/
But they cant be moded just used or deleted.
Now I have +1300 FF facorites and cant afford use other browser.
The Edge seems another striped browser as Chrome,
I dont desire spend time to config it.

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm »
Agree it's like Chrome.
Hate configuring anything. Should be easy ! No excuse except for keeping things exclusive.
People will not go through the trouble.

whell

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:38 pm »
Agree it's like Chrome.ose
Hate configuring anything. Should be easy ! No excuse except for keeping things exclusive.
People will not go through the trouble.

Meh.  Some differences, but on my 5 year old lap top I see no appreciable difference in boot up speed or opening / closing applications.  Nice to be rid of IE though. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:14 pm »
I went back to Windows 7 after a full day of agita.

*Scotty*

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:26 pm »
Nick, I think you can go to the Microsoft site and reserve your Windows 10 upgrade.
Scotty

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:38 pm »
Why is it free? That's what I've been wondering. I've got the free upgrade, haven't done it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:50 pm »
+1
They want own the market, but they already own 90% of the market.
Would possible they want charge for W10 upgrade later?
Or they are doing benevolence with us as they did with IE donation, by what I am very grateful.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:56 pm »
That was my question, does it become pay to play? Does all sorts of great stuff show up later you must pay for? Restrictions?

It seems as plausible they want you to adjust to their dick-pain mobile OS, so people will slowly accept their mobile devices.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2015, 08:02 pm »
Every single computer I have ever owned (since the '90s) ran Windows. I have never been charged for an update, ever. I wish I could shut their damn updates off, yet retain safe software... :duh:

Of course the updates for Win 10 will be free. Until a newer version is broken in, anyway.

I'm sticking with Win 7 until Win 20/20 comes out. Then I'll go with Win 10.

Have fun,

Jerry

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2015, 03:31 am »
That was my question, does it become pay to play? Does all sorts of great stuff show up later you must pay for? Restrictions?

It seems as plausible they want you to adjust to their dick-pain mobile OS, so people will slowly accept their mobile devices.

Perhaps it's just that they plan to cut support on earlier versions of Windows a bit sooner than they usually would so they don't have to devote resources to those.  Just a thought.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:58 pm »
Perhaps it's just that they plan to cut support on earlier versions of Windows a bit sooner than they usually would so they don't have to devote resources to those.  Just a thought.
This make sense, for this reason they are offer free W10.

Nick77

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2015, 01:12 pm »
That's a very good question, it was downloaded to my laptop and not yet on music server. I gave a listen on my laptop and sounded more impressive than I remember but have no real basis for determining the change.

Im running the Intel DN2800MT board reccomended for CAPS computer and it has an Intel 3600 graphics driver. Finally got the windows 10 icon on my music server but says Intel graphics driver incompatible with windows 10.

Intel seems to be washing there hands of any futher support for this display. Im sure there are lots of users out there as this board is still available but cant run on win 10.  :duh: