SS8 Radiator woofer rattling

audiocrazy

SS8 Radiator woofer rattling
« on: 28 Nov 2016, 11:26 pm »
One of my Left SS8 passive radiator woofer is making a rattling sound at low bass frequency. Its only one of the woofer & not both. I have double checked and pretty sure the ratting sound is coming from inside.
I discovered this while taking frequency sweep measurement that I was taking for Acourate software. I'm able to reproduce the rattling noise consistently by playing bass frequency sweep from 20Hz to 100Hz.

Can someone please let me know the troubleshooting steps to remove this rattling noise? I want to try to fix this on my own without sending out to Jim.

Is it a good idea to take out the radiator to check if something is loose inside?

Big Red Machine

Re: SS8 Radiator woofer rattling
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2016, 11:40 pm »
I think they are adjustable and it would not be out of the realm of possibility that something is loose. I personally would not hesitate to look inside myself. If it resists, my trick is to take a large sheet metal screw, like a #12 and hand screw it into the driver mounting hole and give it a yank. It does not go into the mounting hole in the cabinet very far so it is left intact and gives you leverage. Trying to pry it out will surely damage the veneer.

audiocrazy

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2016, 11:51 pm »
I'll try that and report back. Thanks

audiocrazy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2016, 02:31 am »
I took out the woofer and did not find anything is loose inside inside. The coil and woofer seems to be fine without any apparent damage.

However i find the woofer very stiff while pressing it compared to the woofer on the opposite end.
Does it mean it has to be replaced?

Here are the pics of the woofer

ZAKski288

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2016, 03:16 am »
The center cap unscrews and under there is a threaded rod, with a wing nut so you can add or remove washers,
go to the site and click on the view PDF.   good luck Zak

http://meniscusaudio.com/css-apr12-p-965.html

audiocrazy

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:31 pm »
The center cap unscrews and under there is a threaded rod, with a wing nut so you can add or remove washers,
go to the site and click on the view PDF.   good luck Zak

http://meniscusaudio.com/css-apr12-p-965.html
Thanks for the info. I'll give a try when I get a chance.

audiocrazy

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2016, 05:19 am »
I took out the center cap and found the wingnut a bit loose. After tightening it the rattling sound is gone. WOW what a relief.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2016, 01:45 pm »
Zak has probably built a speaker or two along the way. All I knew was they have adjustments, but I never adjusted one before and Zak probably has. Kudos to Zak.

Did you use Loctite? :duh: