Bluetooth® Qualcomm® aptX™ HD

bacmsl

Bluetooth® Qualcomm® aptX™ HD
« on: 30 Dec 2017, 02:47 pm »
Question for JT, is Bryston doing any testing or thinking about doing any testing with this product in the Bluetooth area. I was reading that Qualcomm's aptXHD can transmit both Hi Res DSD and PCM at the same rates as which the BDA-3 can decipher.

Barry M

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Bluetooth® Qualcomm® aptX™ HD
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2017, 03:18 pm »
Not that I am aware of, also there are still limitations to using aptxhd.  In order to use aptxhd you need a source device that supports aptxhd and not just aptx, granted there are a dozen or so android phones listed (more then a I thought there would be) that use aptxhd.  I believe aptxhd maxes out at 48khz 24bit and is unable to use the full bandwidth making it a lossy 48khz 24bit, kind of like how aptx is a lossy 44khz 16bit signal. 

Chris

srb

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2017, 03:42 pm »
Where aptX™ maxed out at a bit rate of 352kbps, aptX™ HD can manage 576kbps.  It has better S/N ratio in the lower frequencies as well as lower latency - a big plus for synchronizing video and audio for HT wireless headphone users.

It is lossy, but promises better performance than the highest (320kbps) MP3 or AAC formats.  It is however, not "better than CD" quality as stated in Qualcomm® literature and won't reach the quality of your wired BDx S/PDIF, AES/EBU, USB or HDMI wired connection.

I imagine for now it will only be available on a very limited number of select high-end phones and tablets.

Steve

bacmsl

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2017, 05:04 pm »
Simaudio is using it in 3 or 4 of there products including their high end DAC