online sources for prescription glasses

rajacat

• Washington State
online sources for prescription glasses
« on: 20 Nov 2016, 08:02 pm »
I'm looking for first hand recommendations of a reliable and quality source for eyeglasses.

Thanks for your time.

Roy

yeldarb

Re: online sources for prescription glasses
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2016, 07:12 pm »
I have had great success with Zenni Optical.  I have purchased repeatedly.  My last 2 pair were rimless stainless glasses with progressive bifocal, anti-reflection coatings, and photochromic lenses.  The quality of the edge polishing is better than on any I have had made locally.  Inexpensive for what you get.

I did break a titanium frame at the bridge, once.  But with rimless glasses, stainless doesn't add enough weight to consider titanium.  I have no experience with their cheapest products.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2016, 07:21 pm »
I have had great success with Zenni Optical.  I have purchased repeatedly.  My last 2 pair were rimless stainless glasses with progressive bifocal, anti-reflection coatings, and photochromic lenses.  The quality of the edge polishing is better than on any I have had made locally.  Inexpensive for what you get.

I did break a titanium frame at the bridge, once.  But with rimless glasses, stainless doesn't add enough weight to consider titanium.  I have no experience with their cheapest products.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll check them out.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2016, 09:50 am »

I use glasses since 8yo the worse frame I used so far was a monel rimless(the lens always broke after some time), monel is a great alloy, the prob are rimless.

The best frame I know is my current frame a aluminium (Luppiter LG8052 C1 size 55-19-135) the rods are fully movable avoiding frame deformation in case you sit on it, which has already happened to me.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2016, 10:06 am »
I've ordered cheap stuff from Goggles4U and the quality was... questionable. I ordered six pairs (two each for myself and my parents) which came to a grand total of $75 CAD. On all of them the prescriptions were a tiny bit off, the frames looked ok from a distance but felt cheap, and in no way would they ever become my daily wear. But for something to toss in the car glove box or leave in the garage as a spare... I really can't complain for a pair of glasses which cost less than $10usd.

bentconvert

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:45 am »
I purchased eyeglass frames recently from Shuron.com They can do prescription lenses though I opted for lenses from a local optician. Shuron was a joy to work with and they have manufactured frames in the USA since 1865. Minimal options but if you are after a "vintage" or "retro" look they may have originated the style. Several lens and temple options available for each frame style. Quality seems very good to me and prices are reasonable or a bargain compared to some frames out there. Call and tell them what you are interested in. You buy one frame and they will send up to five frames for you to try. I thought a different temple length would be better and they sent two more frames to try. Send the ones you don't want back.