Schiit Loki, a Four Channel Tone Control

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Schiit Loki, a Four Channel Tone Control
« Reply #40 on: 29 Oct 2017, 05:15 pm »
After seeing the eq curves at 4:40 its clear that this unit is a heavy hand paramentric eq, studio engineers and musicians would like it, its so inexpensive.

33na3rd

« Reply #41 on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:17 pm »

The second  is the power light is WAY too bright, so will have to mod it with some tape and a hole punch.

A lot of Schiit fans use this product to tame the bright LED.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Black-Out-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B009WSN8PK

jk@home

« Reply #42 on: 3 Nov 2017, 10:09 pm »
That's what I ended up using, had to use two of them, stacked. Now the light is dim, but still peeks through the crack of the closest knob. :roll: Still much better than it was before.

Another thing I modded was the rubber feet on the bottom, they made the unit sit too low. Removed them and added ones that are taller (1/2"). Now my fingers can actually grab the knobs.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2017, 12:22 pm by jk@home »

jk@home

« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2017, 01:04 am »
Wanted to update my thoughts about using one of these as a loudness control, I feel it works great in my system for such. I have the two right hand controls set at around 10 o'clock, and the two left hand controls set at 2 o'clock. Nothing measured, just adjusted by ear. At a low 50-60 db sound level, the music is more balanced and mellow, then with the Loki switched into bypass. Neat little addition that will come in handy often.

33na3rd

« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2017, 03:31 pm »
Wanted to update my thoughts about using one of these as a loudness control, I feel it works great in my system for such. I have the two right hand controls set at around 10 o'clock, and the two left hand controls set at 2 o'clock. Nothing measured, just adjusted by ear. At a low 50-60 db sound level, the music is more balanced and mellow, then with the Loki switched into bypass. Neat little addition that will come in handy often.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a nice addition.

BTW, Very cool audio rack too!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2017, 03:52 pm »
Hi, Do you noted the soundstage had increased size?

jk@home

« Reply #46 on: 16 Nov 2017, 04:07 pm »

BTW, Very cool audio rack too!

Thanks. I made it out of some extra butcher block cutting boards I was previously using for speaker and amp stands. Nothing like recycling the stuff.

Hi, Do you noted the soundstage had increased size?

Oh no, at that low level the soundstage shrinks a bit. But we are talking background music here, so that doesn't bother me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 16 Nov 2017, 04:08 pm »
Thanks

Bigfishhk

« Reply #48 on: 27 Apr 2018, 02:43 pm »
After seeing the eq curves at 4:40 its clear that this unit is a heavy hand paramentric eq, studio engineers and musicians would like it, its so inexpensive.

Not just engineers will like it!     Early days with the little Loki but so far I love it. The weakness in my system has been a slight excess of deep and mid bass on some tracks, and very slightly recessed mids, which I put down to the otherwise excellent ProAc speakers  and to the less than perfect placement in a NYC apt. Some acoustic treatments helped and I thought I would live with the compromises, given how musical and natural the system sounds overall.
With the Loki I have used subtle adjustments and voila! immediate improvement in the areas mentioned.
Seems very transparent. Well made. Easy to use, glad there are only 4 controls and it can be kept on 24/7 with tiny power useage. And a flick of the switch takes it out the system. For $149 this thing could be an outright bargain.

Source: Cambridge CXN / flac
PRe amp: Rogue 99 s-magnum
Power amp: Rogue Stereo 100
Speakers: ProAc response d2.5

dB Cooper

« Reply #49 on: 29 Apr 2018, 01:50 pm »
I'm strictly digital, so I probably don't need it (I have digital-domain EQ options, which I rarely use anyway), but analog setups could benefit.