Speakers on Carpet ( Berber over concrete in my case)

Emil

Superior Decoupling Spike or Giant Fat Glider

Hey Herbie

The spike I understand and I'm currently using some cheap generic ones. The spikes go down to the concrete and firmly plant my speakers. I've also read on your website the disadvantages in using spikes and I'm sure your spikes address their inherent weaknesses.
Now to the glider. I can see them used on bare floors but on carpet I have issues. The speaker will just wobble in all directions since the glider will not make contact with a firm, flat surface. How would that improve sonics?

I like the idea of gliders allowing me to easily slide my speakers around but Im leaning towards your spikes.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Speakers on Carpet ( Berber over concrete in my case)
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2017, 07:17 pm »
Superior Decoupling Spike or Giant Fat Glider

Hey Herbie

The spike I understand and I'm currently using some cheap generic ones. The spikes go down to the concrete and firmly plant my speakers. I've also read on your website the disadvantages in using spikes and I'm sure your spikes address their inherent weaknesses.
Now to the glider. I can see them used on bare floors but on carpet I have issues. The speaker will just wobble in all directions since the glider will not make contact with a firm, flat surface. How would that improve sonics?

I like the idea of gliders allowing me to easily slide my speakers around but Im leaning towards your spikes.

Hi, Emil. Once the speakers and Giant Fat Gliders settle into the carpet a bit, it's not very likely that you'd have any wobble to worry about even on a thick and spongy carpet. Of course, the total weight of the loudspeakers pressing down on the Gliders would be a factor as well, though with Giant Gliders that usually isn't an issue. We have many customers using Gliders (both regular and Giant) on carpeted floors of all thicknesses and I have yet to hear any reports of poor stability with the Gliders.

With speakers spiked directly to the floor, you have loudspeaker-generated floor borne vibration that reverberates from the floor right back up the spikes, causing some glare and other anomalies, in addition to other floor borne vibrations that penetrate to the speaker cabinet. With Gliders, by holding the speaker cabinet and baffle more motionless in regards to micro-vibrations, you'll get a musical result that's more faithful to the originally recorded event.

Robert Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

Badge

Re: Speakers on Carpet ( Berber over concrete in my case)
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2017, 10:22 pm »
I know this is a fairly old post but I also need some advice on speaker footers for a berber carpet with underpaid on a concrete floor.
I have Monitor Audio Platinum PL200's (approx. 70 lbs each) that are currently on their original factory spikes that go into the carpet through to the concrete floor.
My question is, should I look at the regular threaded gliders or the giant gliders?
Is there another option that is even better?

Aaron