what to use to reduce Vibrations on a mac mini 2012?

Lizard_King

• Tubes Rule!
I use a Mac mini as a transport going to a tube based Dac. I see plenty of nice looking product from herbie's audio labs and I want to reach out to other mac mini users to get their feedback.

Tenderfeet, Grungebuster dots, Isocups, component stabilizer, etc.

What works best for you?

Liz

Audioclyde

Re: what to use to reduce Vibrations on a mac mini 2012?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:01 pm »
Liz,

I've been using a MacSanwich, made by Dave E. of PI Audio Group here on AC, for years and really like it--I don't know if Dave still makes these or not but it is worth pinging him and asking if you are interested. 

Lizard_King

• Tubes Rule!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:38 am »
Thanks, not interested in that. I am asking about herbies audio products.

Liz,

I've been using a MacSanwich, made by Dave E. of PI Audio Group here on AC, for years and really like it--I don't know if Dave still makes these or not but it is worth pinging him and asking if you are interested.

kenreau

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:03 am »
I've got tenderfeet under each corner and a supersonic stabilizer on top on my 2012.  I can't really say I noticed a significant difference as it has a SSD and I guess the fan is the only moving part.  The Herbie's cost is reasonable so I'm thumbs up for it.  The feet are turned in diagonally to miss the saucer bottom plate protruding out the bottom of the mac mini.  I also have baby booties under my outboard hard drive.  This all sits on an old Bright Star Audio platform sitting on vibrapods.

Kenreau.

edfowler

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2015, 03:11 am »
I have baby booties on my 2012 mini.  I run it with a SD card for the OS so no real vibration to worry about.  Baby booties are so cheap and I've noticed a nice improvement with other products so why not??

Lizard_King

• Tubes Rule!
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:24 pm »
Thanks for your response. I am also using a SSD in mine.

I've got tenderfeet under each corner and a supersonic stabilizer on top on my 2012.  I can't really say I noticed a significant difference as it has a SSD and I guess the fan is the only moving part.  The Herbie's cost is reasonable so I'm thumbs up for it.  The feet are turned in diagonally to miss the saucer bottom plate protruding out the bottom of the mac mini.  I also have baby booties under my outboard hard drive.  This all sits on an old Bright Star Audio platform sitting on vibrapods.

Kenreau.

Lizard_King

• Tubes Rule!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:26 pm »

Ate you saying the baby booties have improved the SQ?  Steve has recommended the grunge buster Dots so I am seeking feedback from other users before i order.

I have baby booties on my 2012 mini.  I run it with a SD card for the OS so no real vibration to worry about.  Baby booties are so cheap and I've noticed a nice improvement with other products so why not??

lokie

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:56 pm »
I'm looking at these as well for my mm. As mentioned, not a lot of vibration going on (w SSD HD) but such a cheap solution  I chalk it up as cumulative vibration management. (especially compared to other solutions... most are dubiously expensive for what they are... a chunk of plastic??... pleeease!).

Hope I don't change the subject here, but... are you going to use a external hard drive? There seems to be much more vibration going on here than the actual computer. I suppose it would utilize the same solution considering one is trying to mitigate such similar resonances. Food for thought anyway. 

Lizard_King

• Tubes Rule!
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:54 pm »
Yes, I use an OWC mercury 6 240GB SSD in my Mini. I have two external portable drives, an Oyen Digiatl Mini Pro and a Buffalo 2TB thunderbolt drive.

Baby booties and / or grungebusters look appealing Booties for tyhe mini, and maybe the Hd or grungebusters.

I'm looking at these as well for my mm. As mentioned, not a lot of vibration going on (w SSD HD) but such a cheap solution  I chalk it up as cumulative vibration management. (especially compared to other solutions... most are dubiously expensive for what they are... a chunk of plastic??... pleeease!).

Hope I don't change the subject here, but... are you going to use a external hard drive? There seems to be much more vibration going on here than the actual computer. I suppose it would utilize the same solution considering one is trying to mitigate such similar resonances. Food for thought anyway.

jamesg11

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2015, 03:20 am »

Kenreau.
Is it better to have the feet (I use soft tenderfeet) under the corners or the bottom saucer plate? Latter is what it sits on without adding feet.