cable elevators on wooden floors

A_shah

cable elevators on wooden floors
« on: 6 Mar 2018, 05:57 am »
  Do cable Elevators work on wooden/concrete floor or they are only useful on carpeted floor ? I don't seem to be finding a clear answer on this topic  :scratch:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: cable elevators on wooden floors
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:45 am »
My understanding is that it's the carpeted floor that causes problems, one assumes it's because of static electrical fields.  EEs will tell you that the charge in the carpet is so weak that it can't be the cause of anything, I bow to their knowledge.  So theories from laymen say wooden floors wouldn't make any difference and the empirical crowd says neither flooring would make any difference.  I sometimes think maybe I hear something when going from on the carpet to elevated, perhaps a little less background noise, nothing I think I could ever pick out in blind testing.  So I spend nothing on cable lifers, scrap 2x4 pieces cut to what looks right with a notch in the middle.  I guess you could finish them if you wanted to.  At that level I'd go for it and see if it makes a difference, I wouldn't spend any money on it.  You can tape three toilet paper rolls together to try it, get rid of them before she sees it.  I think there are a couple of pretty reasonably priced commercial products if you don't want diy.  Best of luck.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2018, 11:03 am »
Audiophiles are so pathetically needy and feeble minded, honestly.  Next try an aluminum foil skull cap.   :green:

Agree with Letitroll98 100%.  Have tried 2x4's and styrofoam cups on carpet.  Supposed to primarily be for speaker cables used on carpet.  In over 40 years no 'magic' grounding wire, no footer (don't do vinyl on wooden floors), no rack, no open cell foam egg crate pads, and no cable lifts have ever made a sonic difference.  A friend brought over a $800 power conditioner to my older crappy wired house years ago, barely made a difference.  Note that I've never been suckered into wasting serious money on a tweak and never will (while still in my right mind).

My advice: get a good dedicated room (size/shape/insulated on a concrete slab); use something close to a near-field setup; and put your gear on a very low rack or better yet amp stands; or just go with headphones.

The closest thing to a tweak that I've found over 40+ years to work is GIK absorption panels. 

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2018, 11:23 am »
Yes, they work, absolutely! They are called cable elevators and they do indeed elevate the cables off the floor. :lol: But seriously, you are never going to get any agreement as to whether they work. Like all tweaky things, system differences, resolving capabilities, and belief systems of the listeners will contribute to different perceptions as to whether these things work. I had elevators when I had carpeted floor and I still use them now that we've installed hardwood. I think the main advantage to them now is that I have lots of power cables in the back of my rack and the elevators keep speaker cables separated from the power cables on the floor.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2018, 01:56 pm »
Being a DIYer guy I use simple cable elevators:

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2018, 02:39 pm »
I actually did find cable elevators to work. It was small but there was slightly cleaner/clearer in mids and highs. a/b/a tested. The system I tried it in at the time was very delicate and detailed...and I was younger, so there’s that, too.
 Ones system and personal perception capabilities can easily make a truth seem false.

I use them now because they look better and keep dust from collecting on them...and they were given to me (thanks TomS)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2018, 04:16 pm »
We can think of static electricity as an extremely high resistance event. As a DC (Direct Current) voltage charge, except that any current will discharge the voltage.
The only place in hi-fi that static electricity can be a problem is in the act of connecting interconnects to sensitive input circuits.

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2018, 04:39 pm »
The only place in hi-fi that static electricity can be a problem is in the act of connecting interconnects to sensitive input circuits.

Let's not forget about the pesky static charges that have to be dealt with when playing vinyl records in cold dry weather! :lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2018, 05:23 pm »
Save your Bathroom toilet tissue rolls for awhile. Use those as a FREE temporary cable riser and find out for yourself. (cut them in two and have even more of them to play with)
Beats a pile of theory anytime.
Another 'near' free way is the make cardboard triangles*, but this cost a little to use some tape tape hold the triangles in shape.

Squares of card, or a rectangle of card bent in three equal squares, and tapes to make your triangle lifter.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2018, 05:28 pm »
Put me in the "Yeah, whatever" camp. Even if 'tweaks' help, their "benefits" are greatly overstated. My main issue with tweaks is that they are too often a band-aid on the elbow for a skinned knee. Browse through the Pictures section and you will see literally dozens of systems where large amounts of $$$ have been spent on things like cabling (signal AND power) while obvious, real, visible LARGE problems were ignored: Planars in front of large glass surfaces; speakers with totally different room loading left-to-right; speakers a foot and a half from TT's (and in the corner too in one example I saw recently); large glass cabinets taking up almost all the space between the speakers (one of which was in a order and one at the other end of the wall radiating into open space) etc etc etc. All of these examples I'm thinking of appeared to be systems where well into five figures was probably spent, a lot of that on 'tweaks', without a dime to address obvious room/placement issues. (As JLM says, "The elephant usually IS the room.") Spend your money on these things if you like, but if you don't address the big problems first, you are wasting at least 99% of it IMO.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:57 pm »
...seriously, you are never going to get any agreement as to whether they work. Like all tweaky things, system differences, resolving capabilities, and belief systems of the listeners will contribute to different perceptions as to whether these things work.

That is so very true.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2018, 07:16 pm »
Let's not forget about the pesky static charges that have to be dealt with when playing vinyl records in cold dry weather! :lol:
That's not the only things that I forgot.  I have some war stories from broadcasting and classical music recording. Like the old Soundstream digital recorders had static sensitive switches. You had to discharge yourself before touching any of the switches.

But no cables of any kind, once connected are sensitive to static.

A_shah

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2018, 09:29 pm »

I use them now because they look better and keep dust from collecting on them...and they were given to me (thanks TomS)

I guess that is the best explanation I seem to be getting except a private message from an A/C member  who sells wooden cable risers on EBay claiming that they help reduce noise & vibrations. Since they certainly look good with the high end system and are really "no harm tweak " I just decide to get the porcelain kind from music direct which were on sale even though it is free shipping and 60 day free trial , each weigh in 3 lbs so the shipping cost for a set of 8 would be about $ 30.00  X 2 would not be worth sending them back , so they will stay in my system as nice eye candy , thanks everybody -Cheers !

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2018, 11:31 pm »
Save your Bathroom toilet tissue rolls for awhile.

Nah. Makes things sound like crap...

jk@home

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2018, 12:30 am »
Years ago I bought an 8 set of the ceramic ones, just in case there may be an improvement. Told myself if nothing else they kept the cables protected from the vacuum cleaner.

After a while stopped using them. Too many cables on the floor, would need more elevators. Every once and a while I pull them out of the storage closet to try again, but to me, looking at them, they scream audiophile obsessiveness. So they get packed away again. Just my opinion, no offence to others who use them.

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2018, 03:22 am »
I use wooden cable risers on a wooden floor strictly for aesthetics.

I use component isolation devices for the same reason. Yes, I believe they make a subtle improvement, but more importantly, they make your gear appear as though they're floating.

If a tweak doesn't look good, it doesn't sound good. That's my philosophy.   

jriggy

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2018, 02:58 pm »
Put me in the "Yeah, whatever" camp. Even if 'tweaks' help, their "benefits" are greatly overstated. My main issue with tweaks is that they are too often a band-aid on the elbow for a skinned knee. Browse through the Pictures section and you will see literally dozens of systems where large amounts of $$$ have been spent on things like cabling (signal AND power) while obvious, real, visible LARGE problems were ignored: Planars in front of large glass surfaces; speakers with totally different room loading left-to-right; speakers a foot and a half from TT's (and in the corner too in one example I saw recently); large glass cabinets taking up almost all the space between the speakers (one of which was in a order and one at the other end of the wall radiating into open space) etc etc etc. All of these examples I'm thinking of appeared to be systems where well into five figures was probably spent, a lot of that on 'tweaks', without a dime to address obvious room/placement issues. (As JLM says, "The elephant usually IS the room.") Spend your money on these things if you like, but if you don't address the big problems first, you are wasting at least 99% of it IMO.

This has perplexed me for years, too. Seeing systems with $20k and up speakers close to walls and huge built-in TV cabinets between them. $50 to 100K systems with no breathing room are perplexing.
But hey, maybe they are just after a refined sound and don’t care about freq balance or soundstageing.

I use wooden cable risers on a wooden floor strictly for aesthetics.

I use component isolation devices for the same reason. Yes, I believe they make a subtle improvement, but more importantly, they make your gear appear as though they're floating.

If a tweak doesn't look good, it doesn't sound good. That's my philosophy.   

Component vibration and isolation devices have not a small affect in my system. Very tunable footer type to footer type.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2018, 02:59 pm »
   The static thing is nonsense IMHO. However cables sitting on floor as opposed to lifted may sound different. Carl M. of Nola recommended to his buyers that he preferred cables strewn on the floor.
  Listen both ways and make your own determination. If you desire eye candy elevators go for it. They do look nice and tidy up the installation.
   I use ceramic isolator [ 2 pieces that come together] used for support wire for temporary lighting on construction sites. Sound of ?? I cannot  tell a difference but it looks good.

cha

A_shah

« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2018, 10:51 pm »
Got some Porcelain cable elevator s today not expecting much but to my surprise they do work at least in my system , I was  having a very small hiss from my speakers that seems to be gone now