Audio gd NFB- 15.32 Any feedback on sound quality

stephennic

Hi,

I am looking at this dac and wondering what the sound quality is like. I want to use it as a external dac for my Marantz cd 63se. What is the sound quality like of this unit? Would it upgrade the Marantz sound ? Any feedback would be helpful.

Warm regards,

Steve.

firedog

Re: Audio gd NFB- 15.32 Any feedback on sound quality
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2013, 10:28 am »
try at stereo.net.au - the forum Australia has lots of Audio gd users

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2013, 08:30 pm »
I owned the higher end NFB 8, which also used the Wolfson DAC chips, as in the 15.
I found it had good weight, dynamics and definition, and was very quiet, but had the "Wolfson" sound- a bit softer on top and warmer overall, in contrast to the Sabre DACs, which are more lively and incisive. A very nice sounding DAC, but I prefer a livelier sound. I know Kingwa has a soft spot for the Wolfson.
I expect the 15 sounds a lot like the 8. If you taste is for faster and brighter, perhaps a shade more digital, maybe one of the Audio-GD Sabre models would work better, but if you prefer an easier, warmer sound the 15 may well be your cup of tea.
All of these units are very well designed and constructed. From that standpoint they are unbeatable values. I use an Eastern Electric Plus w/ Dexa op amps and simply love it.

stephennic

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2013, 01:25 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your helpful information.

Cheers

Steve.

stephennic

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2013, 11:22 am »
Hi,

I bought it and I am already impressed with the sound quality for the price. Thanks. I think its better than the Cambridge dac magic and the arcam dac for  sound quality, open smooth and detailed.

Cheers

Steve.

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm »
I use an Eastern Electric Plus w/ Dexa op amps and simply love it.

EE Plus with DEXA's everywhere is one of my front-ends.  Are you feeding it via USB and which USB cable?  This setup is unbelievably dynamic and resolved, but I could use a tiny bit more smoothness/refinement up top.

stephennic

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:26 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering what is TCXO, the same model also has TCXO does that improve the sound quality or not worth worrying about.

Also which coax cable is better a wireworld starlight 6 or DH labs D75. - thanks

Cheers

Steve.