X-KINNY

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: X-KINNY
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2016, 03:46 pm »
These look great, Santiago...kudos! Makes me want to build a pair, but that's my problem it seems, I dream about speakers!

A Q for Danny; I think at one point you suggested that No-Rez was perhaps overkill for these. Would the stiffer sides created by this method be the alternative to No-Rez?

sch

« Reply #21 on: 12 Sep 2016, 12:48 am »
These look great, Santiago...kudos! Makes me want to build a pair, but that's my problem it seems, I dream about speakers!

A Q for Danny; I think at one point you suggested that No-Rez was perhaps overkill for these. Would the stiffer sides created by this method be the alternative to No-Rez?

Thanks Peter!
And without trying to answer your question to Danny, let me tell you that this cabinet ended up so heavy (tomorrow I'll post the real weight) that it doesn't seem to resonate at all. You place your hand to the sides while playing and cero, nothing seems to pass from the inside to the wood panel.
Santiago

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 12 Sep 2016, 03:26 pm »

The combination of the solid cabinet and the fact that the little three inch woofers don't create enough pressure to excite the cabinet too much means you can easily get away with just fiberglass insulation inside.

nrenter

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:34 am »
I really like this build. It's a very timeless, classic look.

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:54 am »
I dunno Danny... No-rez sounds great to me, and air only have bad experiences with stuffing.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:35 am »
I dunno Danny... No-rez sounds great to me, and air only have bad experiences with stuffing.

Oh, you can line them with No Rez. But for this speaker with the thick solid walls that Santiago's used with his, it will have much less of a benefit compared to other types of speakers.

sch

« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2016, 10:08 pm »
The Skinny 6 and Flat 5 are on my short list to build for myself, actually for my wife's second HT system (she works out of town during the week and rents an apartment). Her current speakers are no slouch (N1-Xs with upgraded crossovers, cheer veneer and French polish finish) so I have not been in a big hurry but I do want to build this system.

I really like what you did with the solid wood. Think I'll steal that idea  :thumb: 

When you said more organic lines, what were you thinking?

Mike
Hello Mike and sorry for not answering your question before.
By organic I mean to cut the side wood panels in not so straight lines. Something like this. Sorry for the sketch but I haven't done this for years:

Thanks
Santiago

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:45 pm »
Hello Mike and sorry for not answering your question before.
By organic I mean to cut the side wood panels in not so straight lines. Something like this. Sorry for the sketch but I haven't done this for years:

Thanks
Santiago

I like that. I had thought of the radius on the top but not carrying it down the side. Nice.

Thanks

nrenter

« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2016, 08:31 pm »
That reminds me of the GMA Continuum 3...

sch

« Reply #29 on: 28 Sep 2016, 06:15 pm »
Exactly, something like that.
Thanks for the info! :thumb:
Santiago

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:14 pm »
Kind of got  behind on this thread but very nicely done Santiago,  gorgeous results  ;ber:
Like others,  makes me want to  build a pair...  :duh:

jay

sch

« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:54 pm »
Kind of got  behind on this thread but very nicely done Santiago,  gorgeous results  ;ber:
Like others,  makes me want to  build a pair...  :duh:

jay

Gracias!! :D