Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

Danny Richie

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #120 on: 2 Apr 2012, 03:32 pm »
what's the difference between x-cs encore and x-ls encore?  moreover, how would the sound of these speakers compare to the N3?  I built a pair of N3 for myself and my father in law always gushes about how nice they sound.  I want to build him a pair of speakers, but a pair of N3 and a center channel N3S would be more than what I'm willing to spend on a gift (esp since the prices of N3 have gone up). 

My FiL only has room for bookshelf speakers so I was looking at the X-CS/X-LS Encores.  Never heard these, so wondering how they compare to the N3

If you line the cabinets with No Rez and upgrade the crossover parts in the X-LS or X-CS then they get pretty close to the N Series kits and just give up some resolution and detail levels to the BG tweeter used in the N Series designs.

Without upgrading the crossovers parts they are going to be a level or so behind.

Big bang for the buck though, and would make a great gift.

And the Peerless tweeter is a great dome tweeter.

aharami

« Reply #121 on: 2 Apr 2012, 03:44 pm »
thanks Danny and pureiso.  i really should have read the whole thread before posting my question.  So I gather that the X-CS Encore is a sealed design and the X-LS is a ported design.  Now I have two options

1. a pair of X-LS Encore as L/R and one X-CS Encore as center
2. X-CS Encore for all the front three speakers

What are the pros and cons of each setup?  I am guessing the ported X-LS Encores will have more of a lower end than the sealed X-CS?  Also Danny mentioned somewhere in this thread that the cabinet design of the X-LS is using a less than optimal port length to keep it a mini-monitor.  How would the cabinet design change if I were to use an optimal port size for these speakers.  How would this change the X-LS's performance?

aharami

« Reply #122 on: 2 Apr 2012, 03:51 pm »
Danny, how much would it be to upgrade the caps to Sonicaps in EACH of the X-LS Encore or X-CS Encore.  Trying to see how much Sonicaps upgrade would cost for either of the options I mentioned in the previous post

pureiso

« Reply #123 on: 2 Apr 2012, 04:44 pm »
thanks Danny and pureiso.  i really should have read the whole thread before posting my question.  So I gather that the X-CS Encore is a sealed design and the X-LS is a ported design.  Now I have two options

1. a pair of X-LS Encore as L/R and one X-CS Encore as center
2. X-CS Encore for all the front three speakers

What are the pros and cons of each setup?  I am guessing the ported X-LS Encores will have more of a lower end than the sealed X-CS?  Also Danny mentioned somewhere in this thread that the cabinet design of the X-LS is using a less than optimal port length to keep it a mini-monitor.  How would the cabinet design change if I were to use an optimal port size for these speakers.  How would this change the X-LS's performance?

Honestly, you could go with three X-LS Encores in the front if you are not worried about efficiency.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #124 on: 3 Apr 2012, 02:31 am »
I currently use X-LS in my living room system which is just 2-channel.  They are terrific speakers.  I've also lived with a pair of X-CS' and while they are larger and heavier (and still require stands), they also have better power handling.  Despite being sealed the X-CS produce surprising bass.  It's a tough choice.  I love them both!

Oh, and I upgraded them with No Rez and Sonicaps which revealed the true character of these designs.  The stock caps did an ok job but robbed these speakers of their true clarity.  You just won't hear how good they are with the stock caps.  These kits may seem inexpensive but they make for serious competition to what you would find in a store.  Add a servo sub and you will have an unbeatable combo for the money.

Almost forgot, if you want to hear the X-CS' in action I have a video on you tube showing them off.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-lmFVA2l4

Pocketchange

« Reply #125 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:38 am »
 x-ls encores kits still available?

Danny Richie

« Reply #126 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:56 am »
x-ls encores kits still available?

Hundreds of them.

Ron

« Reply #127 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm »
  I just finished building a pair of the X-LS Encores with the Sonicap and No-Rez upgrades using  Parts Express 0.50 cu-ft piano black cabinets. The sound quality of these speakers with the performance upgrades
is amazingly good. The sound quality is as good or better than a lot of commercial built speakers costing three times as much or more. They not only sound great but look great too in the piano black cabinets. At the price Danny is selling these parts kits for they are a fantastic bargin.

pureiso

« Reply #128 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:31 pm »
  I just finished building a pair of the X-LS Encores with the Sonicap and No-Rez upgrades using  Parts Express 0.50 cu-ft piano black cabinets. The sound quality of these speakers with the performance upgrades
is amazingly good. The sound quality is as good or better than a lot of commercial built speakers costing three times as much or more. They not only sound great but look great too in the piano black cabinets. At the price Danny is selling these parts kits for they are a fantastic bargin.

I just wish I had the cash to take those Encores off your hands. ;)

Ron

« Reply #129 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:44 pm »
 I wish that other people knew like you do just how good these speakers sound and at the price I am asking are a bargain. So far I haven't even received a single inquiry which is very frustrating.

pureiso

« Reply #130 on: 25 Apr 2012, 04:20 pm »
One thing I would personally stress is that these are upgraded X- LS Encores, and maybe put in the link to the shootout that Danny has earlier in this thread.

Ron

« Reply #131 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:41 pm »
 Please note that the speakers I built differ from the stock  X-LS Encore's in that they have Sonicap capacitors in the crossovers and No-Rez sound damping upgrades which takes the performance to a whole new level that showcases the speakers capabilities. Back in 2007 StereoMoJo sponsored a small speaker shootout with the upgraded X-LS Encore competing against 11 other small speakers from other companies. The X-LS Encores took first place in this competion. See the following link: http://www.stereomojo.com/Small%20Speaker%20Shootout%202007/SmallSpeakerShootout2007Part1.htm

pureiso

« Reply #132 on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:19 pm »
Looks good, once again I wish I had the cash...

BobPage

« Reply #133 on: 8 May 2012, 05:31 pm »
I am completing three of the X-CS Encore MTM kits. Is there an illustration/diagram showing how the crossovers are wired to the drivers and binding posts?

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 9 May 2012, 02:06 pm »
I am completing three of the X-CS Encore MTM kits. Is there an illustration/diagram showing how the crossovers are wired to the drivers and binding posts?

The crossover is labeled + tweeter and - tweeter. So just connect the + and - to the + and - on the driver terminals. The same goes for the woofers.

Here is a post about soldering to the drivers that might be helpful too: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102191.msg1084720#msg1084720

aharami

« Reply #135 on: 1 Jun 2012, 05:29 pm »
:duh: aw man.  i should have checked the dimensions myself first, but Danny, when I spoke to you on the phone, you mentioned that the x-cs encores are something like 17" tall.  I just got the kits today and saw that they are 20" tall.  Well I have 19.5" of space between the counter where these speakers will be sitting and the cabinet above.  Is there any way these speakers can be shortened a bit w/o affecting sound quality?  can they be made wider and/or deeper to make up for the internal volume?

jcotner

« Reply #136 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:23 pm »
Best I can remember the width is the important thing (to a point) because of the baffle. I wouldn't think you'd have a bit of trouble making them a little less tall and making the cabinet deeper to add back the lost volume. But I'm sure you'll get a proper answer from Danny soon.

crazy_eye

« Reply #137 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:40 pm »
First of all, thanks for the amazing deals.
I had a few questions about the original X-LS pairs (not encore):

Do you still have them in stock?

Would these handle a harman kardon hk3490 stereo amp, with the following specs:
Power @ 8 Ohms, <0.07% THD120 x 2
Power @ 4 Ohms, <0.2% THD150 x 2

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #138 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:56 pm »
:duh: aw man.  i should have checked the dimensions myself first, but Danny, when I spoke to you on the phone, you mentioned that the x-cs encores are something like 17" tall.  I just got the kits today and saw that they are 20" tall.  Well I have 19.5" of space between the counter where these speakers will be sitting and the cabinet above.  Is there any way these speakers can be shortened a bit w/o affecting sound quality?  can they be made wider and/or deeper to make up for the internal volume?

Yes, you can shorten them by a 1/4" on each end. No Problem. And you can add a little depth to compensate. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #139 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:59 pm »
First of all, thanks for the amazing deals.
I had a few questions about the original X-LS pairs (not encore):

Do you still have them in stock?

Would these handle a harman kardon hk3490 stereo amp, with the following specs:
Power @ 8 Ohms, <0.07% THD120 x 2
Power @ 4 Ohms, <0.2% THD150 x 2

Thanks!

Hundreds of them in stock, and that amp will be fine with them.

Welcome to AC.