Bicycling Off-Road

sandbagger

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #1140 on: 29 Jul 2013, 11:04 pm »
I havent been over to Ft Custard but over on the east side of the state there is a TON of good places to ride.

Last weekend was the TREE FARM RELAY, 4 person teams, 1 lap each or experts run 2 laps, either stagered or back to back.
Costumes are encouraged  :lol: :o

I am in this start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sj0XUVsefQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDwVv_Awf2g

Tons of video on the tube just search for tree farm relay

jackman

« Reply #1141 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:55 am »
Hi Jeff,
If you get a MTB, I'd suggest a 29" hardtail.  The new 29" bikes are really nice; lightweight and the new disc brakes (the good ones at least) are way better than anything I've used in the past.  My friend rolled over everything Ft Custer had to offer with his 29" and climbed like a monkey on crack. 

I had no granny gear (bike needs tuneup) and I had trouble with the climbs.  Lots of roots, stumps and sand.  The sand really made it tough because my tires were way too narrow for sand.  Instead of floating over the sand, they cu through like a knife.  Not good. 

I can't wait to try these new fat tires I picked up.  Rode 15 miles tonight on the local geezer path and the bike feels like its floating on a cloud. Can't wait to try it on the real stuff.

Cheers

Jack

jackman

« Reply #1142 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:17 am »
Sandbagger,
That's a fun looking race!  I hope to get out to the eastern part of the state sometime.  The costumes are also very fun. 

Thanks

Jack

geowak

« Reply #1143 on: 30 Jul 2013, 04:02 am »
Going on a 104 mile bike ride myself with three friends on Labor Day weekend. The Ohio towpath along the Cuyahoga River/Canal from Dover to Lake Erie.

WireNut

« Reply #1144 on: 30 Jul 2013, 04:24 am »
Going on a 104 mile bike ride myself with three friends on Labor Day weekend. The Ohio towpath along the Cuyahoga River/Canal from Dover to Lake Erie.

Dam, I miss being 20  :banghead:

geowak

« Reply #1145 on: 30 Jul 2013, 11:42 am »
Dam, I miss being 20  :banghead:
Hey Wirenut, I am 51yrs old, my friends 48, 50 and the other guy cannot go. We have mapped out a one day ride, starting at daybreak and with one hour for a meal.

Levi

« Reply #1146 on: 30 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm »
Looks like you guys are having fun.  Thanks for sharing the video Jack/Sandbagger.  We have plenty of single-track here in the East Coast.  I haven't been riding my Lynskey Pro29.  Soon because I am upgrading from XX to XX1 which will keep me motivated.

Have a good ride!

JoshK

« Reply #1147 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:34 am »
I love MTB'g.   Road riding is ho-hum for me.   I like the techier, push your limits, become one with mother nature (hopefully not mother earth), have a blast kinda riding. 

I've been trying to ride as many different trail networks in Ontario as I can log.  One of my regular riding partners is a girl on the XC sponsored team.  She kicks my royal ass in fitness and makes me work for it.  I like riding with her because I wouldn't ride as much without that push.   Another is a girl that I recently got hooked on mountain biking.  She isn't yet pushing me (give it time), but she is fit and she is aggressive and loves to ride.  She'll even ride the stuff with me that all my guy friends won't (our local is more on the advanced, slightly techy side, with very steep ups and downs and lots of steep exposure).

LadyDog

« Reply #1148 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:21 pm »
You guys have me motivated, so will definitely look into.  Also going to check out the 27.5's or whatever they are calling them. 

Some may not know, but Giant and some others have abandoned the 26" wheel market.

geowak

« Reply #1149 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:35 pm »
Biking is a lot of fun. It's also a way to keep in good mental and physical fitness. This same time two years ago I was flying back and forth across the sands in Iraq with all the stress and prep for those missions. Nowadays I can ride on my bike on a trail, it feels very free. A great way for me to relax and enjoy what USA has to offer with all our great parks. I luv it....

jackman

« Reply #1150 on: 1 Aug 2013, 07:08 pm »
Jeff,
Yep, the 27.5" or 650c (same thing) wheel is the new hot size.  They supposedly roll as well (almost) as 29ers and have the manuverability of a 26" wheel.  If I was in the MTB market, I'd look at the 650c or the 29" wheel and forget about 26" wheels (depending on the trails you ride).  It would not surprise me to see 26" going away or at least shrinking because of the superiority of the larger wheels. 

If you have a 29" wheel bike, I believe you can swap them for 27.5's with a few minor adjustments.  This might be a good option for many. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #1151 on: 1 Aug 2013, 07:37 pm »
My best friend had a hard tail 29er and switched to a full suspension 26er.  He prefers the ability to slice and dice vs the rolling abilities of the larger wheels.  At 6'8 he has the torque to motor any wheel set, but liked the 26 best.

I have not seen him try a mid size wheel, it might be the ticket for him in the end, but it is a new style it seems, so few deals on them.

Levi

« Reply #1152 on: 14 Aug 2013, 03:17 pm »
XX1 installed and tested. This is probably the only set of gears I need here in Long Island. Only time will tell!

Here is a picture with the XX1 group installed on my Lynskey Pro29er. Unfortunately or fortunately, I sold the frame.  I will have a replacement coming soon!

jackman

« Reply #1153 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:45 pm »
Hi Levi,
The new setup looks great.  What are you getting to replace the Lynskey? I see Lynskey has made some changes for 2014 (tapered steelers, press fit BBs, etc).  I'm thinking about getting one of their road frames.

Cool looking stuff!

J

Levi

« Reply #1154 on: 14 Aug 2013, 07:05 pm »
Thanks!  The one I have has a 44mm tapered fork. :thumb:

I am getting www.opencycle.com. This should be interesting. ;-$

jackman

« Reply #1155 on: 14 Aug 2013, 09:56 pm »
Very cool stuff!  I'm not familiar with Open but you always have the coolest toys. I'm sure it will be an amazing bike.  Looking forward to the usual pix!

embz

« Reply #1156 on: 15 Aug 2013, 01:30 am »
Nice drive train.  I plan to build a 1x10 drive train with the XX1 crank set, I guess it's the only component of the XX1 group set which is hackable.  Would go with the 1x11 but that cassette expensive, so 1x10 it is.

Levi

« Reply #1157 on: 15 Aug 2013, 01:36 am »
Nice drive train.  I plan to build a 1x10 drive train with the XX1 crank set, I guess it's the only component of the XX1 group set which is hackable.  Would go with the 1x11 but that cassette expensive, so 1x10 it is.

Thanks!  The 1xx is so simple to use.  Use the right fingers to shift and leave the left to feather the brakes = no fussing around with gear combinations.  :thumb:

Yes.  You can change the XX1 chainrings with aftermarket rings and you are good to go!

JoshK

« Reply #1158 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:35 am »

Levi, gotta say, you don't do it halfway!  Open looks awesome.    For my style of riding, that is a bit too XC, but if I did more XC, that would be the bike to drool over. 

The thing that keeps me shying away from 1x is that I have constant up/down action where I ride, as in pretty damn steep up/downs with zero break, so typically the FD is the easiest to grab lots of gears quickly.   I have Canfield's extended 1x10 system on my FR/DH bike, and it is cool, just don't know about my AM bike.

One of the guys in my club is selling his Lynskey, claiming it was a noodle.  But where we ride it is all rocks.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #1159 on: 27 Aug 2013, 01:23 am »

Totally agree Josh, Levi is HARD CORE, over the top, fanatical.

Hey, great shot of you Josh. Very nice. My kind of riding.

Here's a shot of the Rocket bouncing along at Silver Star in B.C. Canada. Doesn't look like much but those table tops are around 5-6 feet high, my estimation, and popping off the top a couple feet sure feels like your are doing something.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2013, 01:35 am by Rocket_Ronny »