My phones are burning me up

scp2

My phones are burning me up
« on: 14 Aug 2009, 03:29 am »
I am new to the headphone arena and have been using very midgrade sony's...just to see if it's my cup of tea. I love a lot of things about it...but they are over the ear and my ears burn up. Are there quality over the ear phones that would eliminate this...I like the Senn hd650's...but the heat is an issue...don't know.

Help a newbie out.

toocool4

Re: My phones are burning me up
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2009, 07:49 am »
Try here for inspiration www.headphone.com

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2009, 12:04 pm »
I have always had the same problem and my average tolerance time for sealed headphones is two minutes. Have not owned a set since my short-lived experiment with Koss Pro-4AA's years ago. Open headphones exclusively since. I am a die-hard Sennheiser fan but AKG and Audio-Technica are also supposed to be good. Consult buyer reviews, ask around, try at a local shop if possible, pick a set that fits your budget, and have fun.

scp2

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2009, 03:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply...so the hd650's will provide me the comfort I need even for long listening times? Am also looking at the akg 702's.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2009, 01:29 am »
you might want to consider some IEM's like the ulimate ear products

Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro

Ultimate ears

cryoparts

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2009, 01:50 am »
Thanks for the reply...so the hd650's will provide me the comfort I need even for long listening times? Am also looking at the akg 702's.

Impressions of some of my cans (yes I know I am sick, this is only a partial listing):

Senn 580/600/650's are comfy on my head, although I did have to stretch them out a bit so they didn't clamp so hard.  I put them over the arm of an overstuffed chair for a few days, loosened them right up.  Open cans, so lots of airflow, no sweating.

Senn 800's are quite comfy, I think.  Very lightweight and nice pads.  VERY open design, so ears stay cool.

Ultrasone ED9's are comfy on my head as are the ED8's (wearing a set right now).  Closed phones, but have hella nice sheep skin ear pads.  Slight sweating if the room is warm.

K702's are OK, I can't wear them quite as long as the others though, they irritate the upper part of my ear after a while.  Open design, cool ears.

The Grado GS1000's and PS1000's are OK, however, I'm not sure I would call them comfy.  The JMoney head band helps a lot.  The ear pads are a little hard.  And, they have a weird smell the first few weeks.  The PS1000's sure sound mighty fine, though.  Open design, but the foam tends to make me sweat in a warm room.

However, the most comfortable phones (to me) are them Denon D2000's/D5000's/D7000's with the Jmoney leather ear pads. Junk the stock "pleather" ear pads and be in heaven, comfort wise, at least for me.  However, I have a big noggin, so others with a smaller head may have fit problems.  These are closed cans and the stock ear pads will encourage one to sweat in a warm room.  The JMoney pads help, but the ears will get warm after a while in a warm room.

Beyer DT990.  Nice open design, very comfy with the stock velour pads.  JMoney has a leather ear pad upgrade that makes them sounds better, but it does up the "heat" quotient a bit.

OK, I have more, but I'll stop there.

Peace,

Lee