FST color code (for 200 lb center channel)

Campindog

FST color code (for 200 lb center channel)
« on: 17 Aug 2014, 10:52 pm »
Hey Folks,
I just took ownership of a RM 40 to be used as a center channel. There is no tweeter, but I'll use the FST from my LRC. I've got green and blue wires on the RM 40. Does anyone know which is positive/negative?
Thanks,
 Derek

PS. Thanks Stimpy for maintaining the "for sale" post!

I've got to build a new stand, install the tweeter and probably remove the plinth/foot assembly (it will be crossed over at 80 Hz).

John Casler

Re: FST color code (for 200 lb center channel)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2014, 11:00 pm »
Derek,

SWEET!!!

The RM-40 Center channel club is not large (although probably larger than you would think)

You should be able to determine the + and - from looking at the LRC FST when you remove it.

B, should have used the same wire coding for it too.

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2014, 12:27 am »
PS. Thanks Stimpy for maintaining the "for sale" post!

My 1st confirmed sale!  Awesome!  And Derek, "You're Welcome"!  Glad that I was able to help.   :thumb:

Starting and keeping my "for sale" listing updated and current, was my way of honoring Brian.  It feels
like I can help keep his spirit alive in doing so.  Plus, if it helps a VMPS fan find a bargain too, I'm satisfied.

Oh yea, awesome score!  That horizontal 40 makes the LRC seem tiny.  Nice setup and room too.  I bet those
IB in wall sub's sound nice.  Now, you need to upgrade the TV as well, to match the length of the RM40s.
It looks small now also!    :o

Good luck!  Keep us updated, once the new center is making music.

Take care,

Stimpy

Campindog

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:40 am »
That's really cool you're doing that Stimpy. Kudos.

John, Do the others turn the tweeter 90*? Big difference or small?

btw, that little TV is a 65" plasma LOL. I guess I'll have to go projection...

Thanks,
 Derek

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:24 am »
Brian always turned the tweeter for Horizontal Placement

Stimpy

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2014, 06:30 pm »

65" plasma...!!!    :green:     Now my 60" Sharp seems 'small'.    :lol:

And that puts things in perspective too!    :duh:   Since I've never heard or seen a real-life RM-40,
and not knowing their true scale, I guess I now know how big they really are!!!     :o :o :o

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2014, 06:36 pm »

Thanks,
 Derek

With a room and soundsystem of that magnitude, a PROJECTOR with a minimum 120" (or larger) screen is the ONLY way to go.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2014, 07:25 pm »
I've got to build a new stand, install the tweeter and probably remove the plinth/foot assembly (it will be crossed over at 80 Hz).

Run your new center channel at full range. What's the point of having an RM40 as a center channel if you're gonna cut it off at 80Hz????  Believe me -- you'll appreciate the added bass from the center channel, especially with action flicks. Don't remove the plinth, either.

Campindog

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2014, 01:23 am »
Early B, I'm sure I'll try a bunch of configurations before the final decision, but I'm a little skeptical the bottom end of the RM40 can keep up with the IB subs. They are just soooo musical and they have the punch when needed.

John,
The gentlemen I bought this unit from insists I upgrade my electronics. New projector and new processor would have me sleeping in that room. : )

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2014, 06:37 pm »
Early B, I'm sure I'll try a bunch of configurations before the final decision, but I'm a little skeptical the bottom end of the RM40 can keep up with the IB subs. They are just soooo musical and they have the punch when needed.

John,
The gentlemen I bought this unit from insists I upgrade my electronics. New projector and new processor would have me sleeping in that room. : )

Yes the Low Pass on the RM-40 can be lowered to 60Hz-30Hz and be quite effective, and the IB subs to roll in at that point.

Experimentation is the name of the game.

As far as a projector, screen and electronics, don't hesitate to call.

I forgot what PrePro or AVR you were using, but there are a lot of options now days.

Do you have an OPPO BDP?

Campindog

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2014, 03:17 am »
I'll definitely call when it's time to upgrade. I've got a Pioneer Elite sc-05 AVR as a pre/pro that is the weak link. That feeds a B&K 5x200 amp (400@4 ohms). And yes Oppo is the main source.

Got the RM40 running last weekend. It's temporarily sitting on the leather ottoman in the photo. That thing is a beast!! I love it! It integrates well, but there is always room for tweaking and experimenting.   :D If I can build a stand this weekend I will post pix.