Mello Monster

Dawkus

Mello Monster
« on: 10 Jul 2010, 10:26 pm »
In my vast collection of old Hi-Fi literature I had copied from the public library of a single speaker horn in Popular Science or Electronics ala 1963 called the Mello Monster.This was a horn enclosure you could build from 1 sheet of plywood per speaker.Have any of you ever run across the plans,I have lost mine.The speaker was designed for a 8 inch co-ax.Thanks a lot.(mark.korda@myfairpoint.net).

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Mello Monster
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2010, 03:06 am »
Here (from a thread you started in 2008: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/134706-mellow-monster-3.html#post1685968

and here (where you asked 3 years ago)

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pi/messages/12/126077.html

Does your PC keep blowing up? No google?

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2010, 05:51 am »
I had downloaded this article earlier and had intended on detailing to have a better look... would be considered a low-boy. To get the SketchUp below i had to do basic CAD drawing.

dave

Dawkus

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2010, 07:30 am »
Thanks Dave,Planet 10, my computer got a virus about the 3 years ago and I had to junk it.I lost the info you sent me an gave up on the project for a while.I remember you sending me the plans just as I had seen them.You went above and beyond for writing me back,especally with those new computer graphic drawings I just saw tonight.With my new computer I got at Best Buy I got a printer included and plan tomorrow,(when my legs are straiter)I've been out tonight,to have on hand,the Mello Monster plans,and to finally build 2 of them.Can you imagine the Seas 8 inch co-ax,which claims response to 30 hertz,I think the Exotic F8 X108,in that inclosure?,even though I could never afford a pair....I think the Fostex 8 incher would work fine,but if I hit the lottery?...............Thanks so much for your help,people like you make me understand why I'm still in this hobby...do the math...your a great help....sincerely....Dawkus

freddyi

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2010, 11:58 pm »
hey Dave - does this help? (sorry for huge images) - these are someone else scans and sitting in my email since 2007 - like many I always wanted a Mello Monster

mightym

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2010, 03:03 am »
Would anyone hazard a guess as to the electrical parameters of the drivers originally used?

And a possible modern replacement?

John