New Open Baffle driver

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

nicksgem10s

Re: New Open Baffle driver
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2011, 02:32 am »
Those look really interesting for a new open baffle project  :duh:

Those measurements look very impressive as do the drivers.  Thanks for the links. 

I would really love to hear what people think about these when they start building these and listening to them.

Happy New Year!

-Nick

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2011, 05:15 am »
Verrry interesting - thanks for the heads up.

Mr Content

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:09 am »
Nice, and at a price that I am interested in :green:

C :D

highfilter

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:05 am »
Very interesting. Thanks for the link!

Their tube gear looks really nice as well.  :D

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2011, 07:41 am »
Note that despite the appearance of a field coil, this is a regular Neo magnet PE point source FR (~$100 each) with a transformer coupled filter circuit residing in the big can (as well as the extra convex foam surround pasted on the front)

dave

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:50 am »
The foam surrounds gave me pause. I am always concerned about the long term survival. There must be a foam formulation as immune to deterioration as rubber, but I don't know enough about plastics to know what to look for. Like most, I have seen foam become brittle and powder in 15 years.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2011, 09:45 am »
Modern foams are claimed to be long lasting. Rubber is no insurance as far as long life goes, i've seen many a rubber surround driver where the rubber has no elasticity at all -- rock hard. Treated cloth or paper accordian surrounds have, in my experience, the longest lives. (and the few leather surrounds i have seen)

My objection to the added surround is not that it is foam, but that it is convex instead of concave.

dave

baka

• "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfi
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:04 pm »
Hi to all,

I am interested ? is this FRX model is sutiable in the another concept, but with 2x15" on each side ?

thx. for the reply

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:43 pm »
Hi to all,

I am interested ? is this FRX model is sutiable in the another concept, but with 2x15" on each side ?

thx. for the reply

Yes

RadioWonder

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2011, 10:16 am »
I like it... :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:47 pm »
Open baffle and no crossover, it almost has to sound great.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:40 pm »
Open baffle and no crossover, it almost has to sound great.
FWIW, there are sound samples and a video on this page: http://www.decware.com/newsite/FRX.html

Derockster

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:26 pm »
Gosh they are friggin amazing!!!!!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:28 pm »
http://www.decware.com/newsite/FRX.html

How it came about: http://www.decware.com/newsite/paper95B.html

Hi OPNLY BAFLD,
This big Alnico looks good.  I wonder how this OB panel works ??  Could be as a resonator or Iam wrong ??
Thanks, Gustavo

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:44 pm »
Hi OPNLY BAFLD,
This big Alnico looks good.  I wonder how this OB panel works ??  Could be as a resonator or Iam wrong ??
Thanks, Gustavo

It's not Alnico but neodymium and most of the huge can on the back presumably houses the inductor, as described on the page I and opnly bafld linked to. I imagine if you could see the magnet you would be underwhelmed, since neo magnets tend to be small.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2011, 08:04 pm »
It's not Alnico but neodymium and most of the huge can on the back presumably houses the inductor, as described on the page I and opnly bafld linked to. I imagine if you could see the magnet you would be underwhelmed, since neo magnets tend to be small.
Thanks for the heads-up, I will read the link.
Regards, Gustavo

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

rodge827

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2011, 08:47 pm »
Gustavo,
The front baffle panel is somewhat of a resonator. If you look carefully at the back just under the driver there is a small wooden panel. The pulling out or pussing in of this panel allows you to adjust the bass response to fit the room. The lower frequencies resonate in the bass cavity below the sliding panel.
I purchased the plans for the ZOB last year when it first came out, but haven't had the chance to bulid them yet.
With these new drivers it may be happening soon. 8)
Chris

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:06 am »
Gustavo,
The front baffle panel is somewhat of a resonator. If you look carefully at the back just under the driver there is a small wooden panel. The pulling out or pussing in of this panel allows you to adjust the bass response to fit the room. The lower frequencies resonate in the bass cavity below the sliding panel.
I purchased the plans for the ZOB last year when it first came out, but haven't had the chance to bulid them yet.
With these new drivers it may be happening soon. 8)
Chris
Thanks Chris for the reply.
This super OB panel are a great idea, may suited a patent register.
I wish they made plans for a Nirvana 12 or 15 inches FR for more SPL.
Iam impressed with this panel, it transform a OB panel in a musical instrument, very smart idea.

Do you know if this OB is a precision project for good musical effect??
Maybe doing a wider panel at naked eye for a bigger FR could sound good??
Or it have rocket science ??
Best, Gustavo

rodge827

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2011, 04:01 am »
Do you know if this OB is a precision project for good musical effect??
Maybe doing a wider panel at naked eye for a bigger FR could sound good??
Or it have rocket science ??
Best, Gustavo

Gustavo,
Steve took about 3 years putting this project together. With what I can gather from the plans and some conversations with Steve the whole design is about getting the best musical effect as possible.
There is a lot of info about this design on the Decware web site. A very good read without too much technical mumbo jumbo. You can also contact him by email with any other questions you may have.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/contacts.html
Chris