Kudos to GR Research

sb6

Kudos to GR Research
« on: 6 Jun 2015, 04:21 pm »
Just wanted to send a thanks to Danny for being so easy to work with and providing all new internals for my BE20Ds. At 500 hours the difference is stunning via improved low freq. detail and tightness and midrange and high end clarity and detail. One unexpected benefit was the expanded vertical sound stage. Pre-upgrade vocals, instruments, etc. ranged from ~4' - 6' which now ranges from ~2' - 9'. Thanks again, keep up the awesome work!!

BTW - I may be coming back for the DIY dipole woofers, I understand they are outstanding...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Kudos to GR Research
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2015, 06:00 pm »
Nice looking X-overs. I've heard very nice things about Danny's crossover upgrades.

This is my first time looking inside an Usher cabinet. Are the front baffles MDF or another (Birch ply, solid, etc.)?

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2015, 04:33 am »
Your're welcome. I am glad to help.

sb6

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2015, 09:16 pm »
Just noticed your question months later, sorry. The front baffles are mdf but are very thick (~3"). The outside wood is Walnut I believe, 1 solid piece, no veneer. They weigh 300lbs each.

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2015, 04:29 pm »
Welcome to AC :thumb:

sb6

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2015, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. Long time lurker, recent poster..  :)

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2015, 11:31 pm »
Hi, sb6.

Thanks for replying. I finally got to see some of the higher end Usher speakers at a show two weeks ago. The photographs don't do them justice. One must see how massive they are in person to fully appreciate them.

Michael
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2016, 11:06 pm by mresseguie »

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2015, 12:41 am »
Hey Micheal,

I see you have some Fritz speakers. I am re-working some Carbon 7SE's right now. If the model you have is anything like these then yours might have some big upside potential too.

Ultralight

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2015, 02:59 am »

May I ask what you are doing with the Fritz speakers?  Are you changing his series crossover which I think is one of his calling card/signature sound.  Fritz speakers are special.

Hey Micheal,

I see you have some Fritz speakers. I am re-working some Carbon 7SE's right now. If the model you have is anything like these then yours might have some big upside potential too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2015, 06:06 am »
May I ask what you are doing with the Fritz speakers?  Are you changing his series crossover which I think is one of his calling card/signature sound.  Fritz speakers are special.

Hey, I just chatted with Fritz and we had a great conversation. Look for some collaboration soon. In short, I predict his product line is about to see new improvements.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2015, 05:36 pm by Danny Richie »

persisting1

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2016, 09:49 pm »
Hey, I just chatted with Fritz and we had a great conversation. Look for some collaboration soon.

Wait.....what?

This is going to be fun  8)

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2016, 10:50 pm »
Wait.....what?

This is going to be fun  8)

Why not, he builds really nice cabinets. Take his performance up a level or two an his stuff is a real winner. And I think I can do that. I just completed the Carbon 7SE upgrade. So if anyone else has a pair of those there is some fairly significant improvements ahead.

And some new stuff my be coming soon.

mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2016, 11:49 pm »
Wow! [Okay. "Wow" doesn't quite get the feeling, but I normally try to refrain from using certain four letter words on open forums, so you'll have to use your imagination this time.

Break out the Kavalan Solist Sherry Cask Single Malt Whiskey and toast this news!

8) :thumb: :beer:

persisting1

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:56 am »
Why not, he builds really nice cabinets. Take his performance up a level or two an his stuff is a real winner. And I think I can do that. I just completed the Carbon 7SE upgrade. So if anyone else has a pair of those there is some fairly significant improvements ahead.

And some new stuff my be coming soon.

Danny, how do you like the ScanSpeak Illuminator AirCirc tweeter?

A Fritz/Danny collaboration has a nice ring to it  :thumb:

Also, this might need its own thread  :drool:

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2016, 01:39 am »
Danny, how do you like the ScanSpeak Illuminator AirCirc tweeter?

A Fritz/Danny collaboration has a nice ring to it  :thumb:

Also, this might need its own thread  :drool:

I'd say it was fair. This one actually had a little bit of a dip in the response just above 2kHz that kept me from crossing it lower. Pricey though.

I'll have to get a moderator to split the thread. I can't do it myself anymore since the latest upgrade of the software.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2016, 01:47 am »
I really like the Scanspeak Illuminator tweeters and Revelation woofers I have in my truck.

Rocket_Ronny