Any experience with Underwood HiFi or his mods?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Any experience with Underwood HiFi or his mods?
« on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:34 pm »
Anyone have experience dealing with Wally or his modded stuff?

Breakdowns?  Service?  Quality/comparisons of the mods with stock?  How about his Level 1 vs. Level 2 mods?

Everyone on audiogon has seen his stuff and the bulletproof feedback rating.

Honestly I'm a bit hesitant to spend close to or more than the stock price for a modded piece, but he offers warranties.  And he's one of a very few who has had his modded pieces professionally reviewed.

TIA

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Any experience with Underwood HiFi or his mods?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:11 pm »
I haven't purchased any of his mod'd stuff, but I have purchased from him in the past.  He is great to deal with and will do you very well both price wise and service.  Great guy to talk with as well.

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:42 pm »
Bought Dodd Audio preamp (also trade-in my old preamp) and Wyred4Sound DAC II (RMAF demo) from Underwood hifi. Stand up guy, easy to talk to, good service/prices.
No experience with his modified gear tho. :thumb:

johzel

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:04 pm »
I have purchased many things from Walter (Wyred 4 Sound integrated amp and DAC, Gallo and Quad speakers, a Pro-ject Turntable, Audio Space CDP, interconnects, etc.)  While I can't speak to any of his mods he flat out knows his business (and owns Emerald Physics of course).  I trust Walter unconditionally (and no, we're not related  :lol:).  Great person!!  Just communicated with him today as a matter of fact  :thumb:

Delacroix

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:09 am »
I have purchased from him -- easy guy to deal with and my experience was positive. I'd go to him again without a worry next time I wanted an item he carried.

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:21 am »
Nothing but positive experiences with Walter. Great guy to deal with.

-Roscoe

newzooreview

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:38 am »
I would not do business with Underwood again. I bought a pair of speakers and stands from him. Both were defective. He gave me a very hard time about returning the stands (even though they rattled when the speakers were playing!). He made a point of goading me about it, suggesting that I should have accepted the defective pair and jerry rigged them to reduce the rattle. He swapped out the speakers for a second pair that arrived with severely bent binding posts. He hadn't even inspected what he was sending me as a replacement. He was aggressive and surly with me when I called him about it and told me flat out that he wouldn't replace them again, asserting that I was being difficult. I'm talking about binding posts that were bent in 30 degrees as if the speaker had been dropped on them, not a cosmetic defect.

I eventually got my money back, but it was not a positive experience. Could be that something was going on with him during that period. I'm not looking to condemn him--just one data point in response to your question.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:11 am »
You must have not bought them through Audiogon where he has 3,608 Positive feedback responses with 0 Neutral and 0 Negative.

Steve

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:21 am »
You must have not bought them through Audiogon where he has 3,608 Positive feedback responses with 0 Neutral and 0 Negative.

Steve

Correct. I called him directly and therefore had no recourse through their feedback system. Lesson learned.

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:04 pm »
I live somewhat near him (north of Atlanta, a few years ago) and purchased an amp to try for a few days. Wrote a check for it. Deal was, if I was not back within so many days he'd consider it sold and cash my check. I evaluated the amp for a few days, decided against keeping so I returned it and got my check back. No muss, no fuss, no cuss.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:33 pm »
Didn't think his mods were worth them when purchased.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:03 pm »
Some years ago I bought a modded Jolida 100 cd player from Walter.  He was friendly and helpful and I liked the Jolida a lot.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:18 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure it's hard to satisfy every customer everytime.

Years ago, his Audiogon rating somehow got reset, he had a perfect 10,000 (there abouts) rating, so his track record is most impressive.

His mods do get expensive (is that what you're saying big red?).  The Peachtree Nova and Decco fascinate me, but the modded cost compares to some very top end stock pieces from other manufacturers (here at AC).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure it's hard to satisfy every customer everytime.

Years ago, his Audiogon rating somehow got reset, he had a perfect 10,000 (there abouts) rating, so his track record is most impressive.

His mods do get expensive (is that what you're saying big red?).  The Peachtree Nova and Decco fascinate me, but the modded cost compares to some very top end stock pieces from other manufacturers (here at AC).

That's the trade off I usually make in my head with upgrade costs versus stock gear that may already perform at that level.  I paid big bucks for a modded amp about 5 years ago after he cajoled me into it and felt I got ripped off.  He is successful but.....

srb

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:43 pm »
Modded components unfortunately have a inherent value disadvantage because replacing soldered parts is very labor intensive as well as paying for two parts instead of one.

Modded components that end up costing 100% more than the original price could in most cases be easily offered by the manufacturer as an "SE" model for only 10% - 20% more.

Steve

raindance

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2010, 04:24 pm »
I have had great experiences dealing with Wally, although I don't buy tweaked equipment.

If you are prepared to buy tweaked stuff, plan on keeping it a LONG time because you'll never get your money back.

Plus, bear in mind that tweaked means it sounds better in the opinion of the person doing the mods, which is not you.

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2010, 05:45 pm »
I'm not one to constantly swap gear, so I can't compare the modded stuff I've tried (integrated amp, music server, and CD player) to the stock.  Two I bought new and did flip them fairly quickly.  As "current darlings" I did OK on the price.  The third was bought used and was still respected so did OK on that one too.

Thanks for the advice guys.   :thumb:

mca

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2010, 05:49 pm »
What modded piece are you looking at from Walter?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2010, 05:57 pm »
Walter is a straight up guy IMHO. I've dealt with him twice, once on some cables and then on the heart of my system still, my 2400 watt BPT BP-2.5 balanced power conditioner. While I have never bought anything that has been modified from him, I would buy with confidence if I did. It's my feeling that Walter would stand behind his modded products as firm as Dan Wright has stood behind his Modwright mods.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:10 pm »
I haven't purchased any of his mod'd stuff, but I have purchased from him in the past.  He is great to deal with and will do you very well both price wise and service.  Great guy to talk with as well.

+1

This has been my experience as well.

George