amps with SS8

smokey

amps with SS8
« on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:00 pm »
 HAS ANYONE HEARD OR HAVE THE MANLEY SNAPPER MONO AMPS , WITH 100 RMS, TUBED, WITH THE SS8 SPEAKERS,
  IF SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS, THINKING OF BUYING A PAIR

jsalk

Re: amps with SS8
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:20 pm »
I would suspect that the midrange would be sweet and smooth.  But the tubes would not control the bass quite as well as solid state.  So it would be a trade-off.

- Jim

Paul K.

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2018, 11:02 pm »
With a specified output impedance of 1.5 ohms, the Manley Snapper would definitely exhibit appreciably less than stellar output linearity caused by typical variations in speakers' impedance versus frequency, particularly in the bass.
Paul

I would suspect that the midrange would be sweet and smooth.  But the tubes would not control the bass quite as well as solid state.  So it would be a trade-off.

- Jim

Hydro

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2018, 03:08 am »
Not exactly answering your question but I have SS-10's and use Carver Black Beauty 305's. The SS-8's have a 3db higher sensitivity than the 10's so 100 watts should be plenty. I actually like the tube bass better than the bass I got with the Van Alstine 600R amp. It is fuller and goes plenty low. The presentation of the music is so much more live sounding that it is uncanny. 

Paret

• Keller, TX
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2018, 12:08 am »
Not exactly answering your question but I have SS-10's and use Carver Black Beauty 305's. The SS-8's have a 3db higher sensitivity than the 10's so 100 watts should be plenty. I actually like the tube bass better than the bass I got with the Van Alstine 600R amp. It is fuller and goes plenty low. The presentation of the music is so much more live sounding that it is uncanny.

I have heard Hydro’s system in both configurations and with his Carver high power tubes it is better. Not bad with Franks amp before but the Carvers are out the stratosphere.

:thumb:

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

Hydro

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2018, 01:53 am »
Thanks Luis, the Carvers really sing.

The write ups I have read on the Manley amps give it the same attributes I am hearing with the Carvers. I think that the bass issue with most tube amps come from a lack of power, not necessarily from a lack of dampening or nonlinearity caused by the high output impedance. The true test is always hearing them in your system, not always possible or inexpensive. 

smokey

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2018, 05:11 am »
thanks guys, I also have the AVA 600R AMP with a CARY SLP-05 PREAMP. was thinking about a full tube pre & amp system to drive my
 SOUNDSCAPE 8   :scratch:

audiocrazy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2018, 01:00 am »
thanks guys, I also have the AVA 600R AMP with a CARY SLP-05 PREAMP. was thinking about a full tube pre & amp system to drive my
 SOUNDSCAPE 8   :scratch:
I drive my SS8 with ATI 6000 signature Solid State amp with Schiit Freya Preamp that has both Tube Buffer, JFET and passive.