Most Recent Movies Watched

Mag

Most Recent Movies Watched
« on: 7 Mar 2018, 10:57 am »
Safe by Jason Statham- Jason kicks ass in this one.

Hard Times by Charles Bronson- Beautifully done drama of street fighter looking for some cash in Depression.

A Bridge Too Far- The need to press the Germans brings about this daring Operation.

Cross of Iron- War Drama, read somewhere action scenes are most realistic recreation of what war is really like.

For a Few Dollars More- Classic, go ahead light a match.

rockadanny

Re: Most Recent Movies Watched
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2018, 08:37 pm »
Just watched a film on DVD from one of my fav film makers, Krzysztof Kieślowski, "Blind Chance". Yet another terrific film from him.

The film presents three separate storylines, told in succession, about a man running after a train and how such an ordinary incident could influence the rest of the man's life. Originally filmed in 1981, Blind Chance was suppressed by the Communist Polish authorities for several years until its delayed release in Poland on 10 January 1987. The version I saw had only one brief scene that was censored (visually) - the main character takes a beating - the audio from it is enough to envision what is happening anyway.

If you are unaware of Kieślowski's work, also check out his color trilogy, three films, "Red", "White", and "Blue".

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2018, 08:48 pm »
"Alice In The Cities", 1974, from another of my fav film makers, Wim Wenders. The first of his three "road trip" films. Wonderful, beautiful cinematography, touching. And a surprise cameo performance by one of the all-time great rock-and-rollers as well. Ever since I saw "Wings Of Desire" I've been hooked on Wim.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2018, 09:57 pm »
Just watched a film on DVD from one of my fav film makers, Krzysztof Kieślowski, "Blind Chance". Yet another terrific film from him.

The film presents three separate storylines, told in succession, about a man running after a train and how such an ordinary incident could influence the rest of the man's life. Originally filmed in 1981, Blind Chance was suppressed by the Communist Polish authorities for several years until its delayed release in Poland on 10 January 1987. The version I saw had only one brief scene that was censored (visually) - the main character takes a beating - the audio from it is enough to envision what is happening anyway.

If you are unaware of Kieślowski's work, also check out his color trilogy, three films, "Red", "White", and "Blue".

I love Kieslowski, The Double Life of Veronique is one of my favorite all time films.  As is White, haha love that movie.  Did you see that Criterion came out with bluray remasters of the Dekalog?  It's great - 10 short bon-mots of pure Kieslowski.

My latest film was Sicario:

I've seen 3 of Villeneuve's films so far and Arrival was his best (a masterpiece), Bladerunner 2049 and Sicario were excellent films but did not make that leap to "great art" at least not for me.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2018, 11:54 pm »
I've seen Decalogue, but it was quite some time ago. Before Bluray was invented.  :lol:

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2018, 12:00 am »
"Boudo - Saved From Drowning" , 1932

O..M..G.. What a crazy movie! Middle-class man saves a bum from drowning, takes him into his home, and the bum proceeds to turn the household on its ear. Also very interesting to see parts of Paris in 1931. Terrific commentary by Renoir and others. Initial viewers were so upset at Boudu's antics they gasped, yelled, and tore up the theater seats. The police had to be called in. Theaters had to be shut down. It was (is) that baudy.

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2018, 01:51 pm by rockadanny »