Insignia Upgrade with custom cabinets

Kristian105

Insignia Upgrade with custom cabinets
« on: 5 Feb 2018, 02:54 am »
This is my first post.

I got these insignias for the sole purpose of doing the upgrade... years ago.  I finally got to them and decided to build new cabinets.  This project is my practice run to get back into it before I build things that will cost too much to replace.

I realized today that I made the speaker 3/4 of an inch wider than the original because of the material thickness, will this affect the crossover?

Danny Richie

Re: Insignia Upgrade with custom cabinets
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2018, 03:41 pm »
Added surface reflections will effect the response. A large round over will help.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2018, 05:47 pm »
Your internal bracing will take up some of that excess.  Add corner blocks, maybe even laminate some 1/2" mdf to the open areas of the sides.  All these will help get your internal volume closer to spec, and make the cabinet better at the same time.  Add some No Rez or carpet padding also.  If you can get within 5%, you're close enough. 

Kristian105

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2018, 07:43 pm »
Your internal bracing will take up some of that excess.  Add corner blocks, maybe even laminate some 1/2" mdf to the open areas of the sides.  All these will help get your internal volume closer to spec, and make the cabinet better at the same time.  Add some No Rez or carpet padding also.  If you can get within 5%, you're close enough.

Yeah, I figure it was over about .1 cubic feet.  I was planning on fitting the crossover before I load it up with additional mdf.

Is it the internal baffle with or external that affects the crossover? Just wondering.  I plan on using the original baffl cover and grill and cutting a large round over.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2018, 09:50 pm »
It is the additional baffle size on the outside that effects the response.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:00 pm »
[quoteIt is the additional baffle size on the outside that effects the response][/quote]
That's what Danny was referring to "...added surface reflections..."  I have used a 3/4" radius round over bit on my table-mounted router for most cabinets I've built over the years.  I think you'd need that large of a round over on your cabs (vertical baffle edges).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:17 pm »
Plus roundovers are always a good thing to do for the purposes of minimizing edge defraction.

Kristian105

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2018, 11:15 am »
I was planning on doing a round over along the entire front and then using the front cover off of  the original speaker along with original grill.  Are there any sonic drawbacks to this? 

Kristian105

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2018, 09:46 pm »
Got some crossover work done

Kristian105

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2018, 03:21 am »
I changed the center brace and glued in a few pieces of mdf to bring the volume down to .38 cubic feet.  Hopefully I’ll Have them ready for finishing by the end of the weekend.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2018, 09:42 am »
That seems like a ton of work  for such inexpensive speakers. Did you ever think of using better drivers? They can be inexpensive.

Kristian105

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2018, 02:36 am »
its fun.  Practice.  I’m curious about the outcome.  I’ll be building a few pairs of Danny’s other speakers when the weather warms up, I have a set of N3tls and a set of skinny 6s in boxes waiting to go. 

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2018, 10:41 am »
Ha, ha. OK. Sounds great.... or shall I say, will sound great!

Kristian105

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2018, 11:09 am »
I hope so.  I always like to try to build out cheap stuff just for fun.  I’m a car guy, from restoration to modification to painting and welding.  I’ve done  rolls Royce’s and Austin healeys, but I always loved me an 80’s Chevy cavalier!

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2018, 12:17 pm »
What is it with GM? They finally made the Cavalier look so slick - then they discontinued it. They did the same with the Pontiac Fiero - the '88 looked awesome.  :duh:

Kristian105

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2018, 02:02 pm »
I had a fiero!  Burgundy exterior and tan interior.  I wish I still had it knowing what I know now, it would be amazing.

Kristian105

« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2018, 10:51 pm »
Some progress has been made.  I used some leftover mass loading material I had from a previous automotive install and some regular fiberglass insulation. Tomorrow I’ll be bringing them to the paint shop.  I’m regretting using screws, especially since I ended up buying like 20 clamps anyway.  Oh well.  Nothing money won’t fix!

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:16 pm »
I'd pull the insulation blocking air flow to the port.

Kristian105

« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:55 pm »
I'd pull the insulation blocking air flow to the port.
It’s clear.  Just a bad picture.  I made that mistake with my av1s.  Packed them full of polyfil like a sealed subwoofer and they sounded awful.  I was amazed at the difference when I pulled all the polyfil out of them and did it right with fiberglass.

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:30 am »
They're looking good.  If the baffle is a bit too wide, there may be a slight bump in the lower mid bass at the baffle step point, but the tightening of everything else should be an overall positive result.  Eager to hear what your impressions are.