New IDA-16 owner here!

Samac

Re: New IDA-16 owner here!
« Reply #20 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:55 pm »
Does the IDA-16 need to be run "loud" during break-in, or will playing softly with a CD on repeat do the trick? I assume a lot of this is about forming the capacitors and so forth, and I don't know if that requires loudness or just any old current. Thanks!

In my experience, no. My system is used more for background and lower level listening. I only play at higher levels when I have the house to myself. I'm sure moderate or higher levels may break-in the caps at a different rate but it's not necessary to focus on that. I'd simply use the amp as needed for your enjoyment and the break-in will naturally happen. :D

Cheers,

Scott

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 2 Feb 2018, 07:22 pm »
Does the IDA-16 need to be run "loud" during break-in, or will playing softly with a CD on repeat do the trick? I assume a lot of this is about forming the capacitors and so forth, and I don't know if that requires loudness or just any old current. Thanks!

Both the amp and the DAC the IDA-16 that need to break in.

I have a DAC-10 and with the exception of changing cables, I leave it on 24/7. What I mean by that is there is always a signal going through the DAC so it is always busy decoding a source - usually an internet radio station.

I leave my amps on 24/7 too, so they are always busy amplifying whatever the DAC sends to it. The volume is moderate by day, and somewhat louder to fairly loud when I listen at night between 10 pm and midnight. Then while everyone is asleep, the amps continue to work at a very moderate level. The only time I have ever turned them off is to switch out a cable.

How are you liking the IDA-16 with your Spatial OBs?

Tom Davis

« Reply #22 on: 3 Feb 2018, 02:04 am »
My break-in is always based on listening to music at a "normal" volume level. That's why it takes a long time.

seikosha

« Reply #23 on: 3 Feb 2018, 01:57 pm »
Rebbi,

Capacitors need to “form” during break in to perform their best and the best way to do this is to build a charge in them and then let them discharge.  When a component is new the recommendation is to go through a half dozen cycles or so and turn the component on for 5 or 6 hours and then off for the same amount of time.  After that if, it’s not a tube component, I pretty much leave the unit on 24/7 and turn it off once a month to let the caps discharge and then recharge again.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 3 Feb 2018, 03:46 pm »
Capacitors need to “form” during break in to perform their best and the best way to do this is to build a charge in them and then let them discharge.  When a component is new the recommendation is to go through a half dozen cycles or so and turn the component on for 5 or 6 hours and then off for the same amount of time

Where did you get that from? Can you point to any studies that prove this? 

seikosha

« Reply #25 on: 4 Feb 2018, 02:11 am »
Lots of stuff out there if you google on “forming capacitors” or  breaking in capacitors.  As far as an official scientific paper.  I don’t know, but I’ve never looked.  It seems pretty well established.  I first learned about it decades ago from my photography hobby where it was standard practice to “form” the capacitors on certain flash units so they’d perform optimally.

I know Paul McGowan has spoken about it a few times on the PS Audio forums and it’s discussed on the Decware forums as well.  It’s a topic that comes up across all forums from time to time when break in is discussed.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:37 am »
No proof but seems pretty established?

in1unison

« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2018, 10:19 am »
It is very challenging to link subjective concepts of sound perception to objective quantities in electrical signal propagation, acoustics and hearing physiology. Some would argue it impossible.

rebbi

« Reply #28 on: 4 Feb 2018, 03:57 pm »
Well, if you have a lot of time on your hands, there’s this thread, here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/do-capacitors-really-need-to-break-in.738256/

:lol: