open or closed?

eric1

open or closed?
« on: 23 Dec 2017, 01:05 am »
I understand the difference (sort of), but witch do you prefer? Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find any threads.

Thanks,
eric

zoom25

Re: open or closed?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2017, 02:15 am »
If you don't want to be disturbed by others, or you don't want to disturb others, than the answer is a good closed headphone with high isolation.

Open headphones are meant to be listened in a quiet area where you won't be interrupted by outside noise, and you don't care about bothering people nearby.

I use both depending on the situation, including some hybrid models (closed but not sealed, i.e. Denon AH-D2000). If it came down to taste only, then I'd go with open headphones. Majority of the flagship headphones are open in design. They are favoured acoustically.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2017, 02:28 am »
Any bit of quality is important, I prefer open.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2017, 06:17 am »
If circumstances permit (zoom25 sums the considerations up nicely), open. I have a hard time dealing with circumnaural closed headphones (ears feel hot quickly), so when I need isolation, I use IEMs with either custom silicone or memory foam tips.

This would be a good topic to add a poll to.

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2017, 01:07 pm »
For me; in-home,  Orthodynamic open back with good amplification.  For public and sports, IEM with memory foam tips.  Silicone can take a hike.

eric1

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2017, 02:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm only interested in sound quality. I heard closed had better bass. I don't care about the isolation stuff, unless it equates to better fidelity. I'm using some cheap PSB M4U's right now that I think are closed. I'm looking at getting some MrSpeakers.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2017, 03:04 pm »
I mirror dbcooper.  I don’t like closed over ear phones. 

I currently only use iems though.  Silicone or foam tips depending on what I want.  Silicone is way easier to remove and replace tomtalk to someone.  Foam does a better job for isolation and bass for my ears. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2017, 04:21 pm »
Not a lot of good open choices in the low-mid price categories.  The Philips SHP9500 is one, and maybe a Massdrop Sennheiser is all I remember.
Massdrop Senn or K7xx perhaps. Sen 59* series although I haven't heard the current iterations.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2017, 04:27 pm »
I mirror dbcooper.  I don’t like closed over ear phones. 

I currently only use iems though.  Silicone or foam tips depending on what I want.  Silicone is way easier to remove and replace tomtalk to someone.  Foam does a better job for isolation and bass for my ears.

I went full nerd and got custom silicone tips for my Shures. Those were what I was referring to. Underwhelmed by almost all out-of-the box silicone 'dome' or multi-flange tips I've tried.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2017, 07:03 pm »
I will let you know what I think of the JVC spiral tips after the 25th!

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2018, 10:35 pm »
I understand the difference (sort of), but witch do you prefer? Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find any threads.

Thanks,
eric

In Ear Monitors (IEM) can be a bit of both open and closed.  They can provide even better isolation than noise cancelling.  The multi driver armature designs do not even need to push air, and can provide as good or even better performance as open headphones. 

The one downside is getting a pair that is comfortable, but it's solvable with the right type of tips.   

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2018, 11:59 pm »
Or custom tips (although they're really pricey). As an owner of three pairs of IEMs, two of which are multi-driver BA, however, I'm unaware of any 'open' ones- if it seals the ear canal, it's by definition 'closed', is it not?

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2018, 01:07 am »
Or custom tips (although they're really pricey). As an owner of three pairs of IEMs, two of which are multi-driver BA, however, I'm unaware of any 'open' ones- if it seals the ear canal, it's by definition 'closed', is it not?

I was referencing the explanation in this blog: 

https://441k.com/in-ear-monitors-balanced-armature-drivers-vs-dynamic-drivers-c0327d6a0e70

Problably should have made that point more clearly. 

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2018, 01:18 am »
Here is another link explaining how balanced armatures work:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-balanced-armature-receiversdrivers-work

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2018, 05:35 am »

Thanks,
eric

When I was a newbie I preferred open headphones because of the hype and the extra airiness and soundstage open headphones come with. As I got more into it this hobby, I prefer closed headphones. To me sound is more intimate, bass is better and imaging is accurate. Soundstage might be a little better on the open headphones, but closed headphones have much more advantage.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2018, 05:48 am »

When I was a newbie I preferred open headphones because of the hype and the extra airiness and soundstage open headphones come with. As I got more into it this hobby, I prefer closed headphones. To me sound is more intimate, bass is better and imaging is accurate. Soundstage might be a little better on the open headphones, but closed headphones have much more advantage.
The Beyer T1 is a midway on this, they say its a semi-open.
Most open HP can be closed by the owner easily if desired.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2018, 06:37 am »
As I got more into it this hobby, I prefer closed headphones. To me sound is more intimate, bass is better and imaging is accurate.

Interesting!

What closed 'phones do you have/prefer?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2018, 12:51 pm »
Anyone heard, heard of, or have an opinion of the $50 Koss Porta Pro open air headphones?

Several of AC recommendations for the budget minded, have been in production for decades, and seem to be quite popular.

Sorry meant to say "Several outside of AC recommendations..."
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2018, 11:05 am by JLM »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2018, 03:42 pm »
So if you're asking about sound quality only, I prefer open backed phones.  If you're a bass freak you might go with closed back, I don't think my open back phones are bass shy, but there is generally a more bass heavy feel with closed back.  I like the greater headstage of open back phones and feel the tonal balance is more accurate.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:40 pm »
Anyone heard, heard of, or have an opinion of the $50 Koss Porta Pro open air headphones?

Several of AC recommendations for the budget minded, have been in production for decades, and seem to be quite popular.
I have an Porta Pro from early 1990s its sound is brutal, easily the worst HP I owned and not fit well in my big head, after some years one driver blow. Today the driver may be a new better sound, rec listen before purchase.