Powered Monitors?

tdogzthmn

Re: Powered Monitors?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Nov 2017, 04:08 am »
Hey zoom25,

Good to know there's another fan of the mackie.  I read several reviews and many commented on the smooth sound of the new titanium tweeter.  Next step is getting a good floor stand that so I can get them out further in my room.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #41 on: 7 Nov 2017, 04:19 am »

richidoo

« Reply #42 on: 7 Nov 2017, 06:35 am »
Intrigued by the 708P, the clean loud solid tone, the treble power of horn, etc, tech looks good on paper, but I'm concerned about the sound quality of the electronics. Opamp inputs, pro-audio safety circuits, SRC, jitter, LR4 filters, commodity class D amps... There's just no way (imo) it can be as refined or open, airy or musically communicative as audiophile electronics, and the CD/horn will rub it in my face! Id like to hear it and compare to my current speakers before committing to the buytrycry adventure but thats not likely. Especially after my Revel F208 disappointment. Gunshy of Harman and any pro audio gear. I want audiophile refinement, I cant see how this all in one adc dac src dsp ps on a single pcb made in mexico can deliver refinement like Im used to. But Ill keep an open mind until I hear it myself.
-Sourpuss  :P

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #43 on: 7 Nov 2017, 10:03 am »
Intrigued by the 708P, the clean loud solid tone, the treble power of horn, etc, tech looks good on paper, but I'm concerned about the sound quality of the electronics. Opamp inputs, pro-audio safety circuits, SRC, jitter, LR4 filters, commodity class D amps... There's just no way (imo) it can be as refined or open, airy or musically communicative as audiophile electronics, and the CD/horn will rub it in my face! Id like to hear it and compare to my current speakers before committing to the buytrycry adventure but thats not likely. Especially after my Revel F208 disappointment. Gunshy of Harman and any pro audio gear. I want audiophile refinement, I cant see how this all in one adc dac src dsp ps on a single pcb made in mexico can deliver refinement like Im used to. But Ill keep an open mind until I hear it myself.
-Sourpuss  :P

No worries. I have similar reservations.

If the 708p pans out, the ultimate plan would be to get 708i and BSS processor. Then build multiple versions of Christiansen’s 286 into 1 box.

Looking at what components are being used in the 3 series it’s anyone’s guess what’s in the 7 series. The budgets are vastly different. I’m not pleased with the amp measurements of the 3 series but at that budget who is to complain? The 7 series is a different ball of wax. I know that Crown collaborated with TI to come up with the amp design that powers the M2. But they didn’t collaborate with Christiansen. And that’s where the party starts.

I believe the forte for JBL is their transducer design, waveguide design and most notably their ACOUSTIC design (polars). But there is another aspect in “Active” speakers. Amplifier design. PCB layout is paramount and without the level of measurements that Christiansen exhausts on his designs (even his measly cheap LM3886DR measures way better than the UCD’s of yore), coupled with the dearth of measurements I’ve seen in the “amp” portion of 7 & M2 series I remain in a quandary.

I will say that the 3 series has NO right to sound as good as it does. So JBL does know a thing or two  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #44 on: 7 Nov 2017, 01:40 pm »
Everyone has their focus.  Speaker guys are notorious for minimizing the rest of the system.  Being a self professed speaker guy I put much more importance in driver/cabinet/active design than the rest.  Well matched amps directly connected to the drivers IMO can overcome most of the shortcomings of passive speakers with high quality but mismatched amps for far less money.

And isn't it head to head dollar to dollar comparison that's the bottom line?  I for one can't imagine passives + power amps competing with JBL LSR305 or K&H 120.

richidoo

« Reply #45 on: 7 Nov 2017, 06:26 pm »
Yeah, I hear ya about rolling your own electronics. Multichannel DIY is a big project, I've been playing with that for a couple years. I'm getting tired of DIY and I like the concept of all-in-one powered speaker, IF it's good enough. I just don't know where my tolerance is without hearing it.

I assume the only sonic flaws of 708P from the "audiophile" POV are subtractive, since pros wouldn't go for any kind of harshness. In my case, the improved bass clarity, dynamics and power response should compensate for the loss of pretty treble, after some mental adjustment.

JLM

« Reply #46 on: 8 Nov 2017, 01:05 pm »
Cheaper active monitors can be dry/fatiguing but still very revealing.  Professional speakers are work horses where accuracy is paramount, not for home audio pleasure riding (with pleasing colorations and various quirks). 

As mentioned the $260/pair (street price) JBL 305's stand up to the passives available at the same price sans power amp and really have no major flaws at the price.  My Dynaudio BM5 MkIII are a step up but even at close out I paid $850/pair and are on par (better detail/less bass) to my $4000 floor-standers/mono-blocks.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2017, 05:40 pm »
I heard these Triangle Elaras today in a local Stereo shop, very impressive. They have great detail and impressive bass that holds together at loud volumes. And they will play loud and will fill the room. I can only compare them to my Audio Engine A5s and the Peachtree M24s but the Triangles are better but ... more expensive, $800. Also, like the M24s, they are turntanle ready.

http://www.triangle-fr.com/en/elara/ln01

Here’s a hot off the press review:

http://www.tonepublications.com/audiophile-apartment/the-triangle-ln-01a-powered-speakers/

Another very cool thing about the Triangles is that the remote gives you not only the source and volume controls, but also a bass and treble control.

... Man, I’ve got to get serious about selling my extra gear.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm »
Just to clarify, the Salk PowerPlay monitors are an active 2-way design, including preamp accepting both analog and digital source signals, ADCs, active programmable DSP crossovers, DACs, subwoofer output, and power amps for each transducer. Check out the frequency response, in the Salk link. My understanding is that they were designed as an entry-level system.

Jim Salk makes powered monitors. http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=PowerPlay%20Monitors

kgcdc

« Reply #49 on: 25 Dec 2017, 04:50 pm »
My main system for a few years is Mac Mini into Auralic DAC, W4S SE hybrid pre, and Event Opal powered monitors. Very transparent and simple system.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #50 on: 25 Dec 2017, 09:34 pm »
Opals should be nice.

Rocket Ronny

JLM

« Reply #51 on: 26 Dec 2017, 12:33 pm »
Opals should be nice.

Rocket Ronny

+1

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #52 on: 27 Dec 2017, 10:18 am »
Opals should be nice.

Rocket Ronny

They should be loud, anyway!

Seasons Greetings, RR

Just bought a pair of IK MultiMedia iLoud Micro Monitors. Good $300 worth for my needs in a very portable monitor for location recording.