Powered Monitors?

JDUBS

Powered Monitors?
« on: 3 Nov 2017, 12:40 am »
Hey Guys

I know some of you are running powered monitors in your main system.  I'm thinking of heading that route (JLM!)....so am curious what folks are using? 

I LOVE dynamics and bass should be ample.  Not sure on price just yet....

Thanks for any recs!

-Jim

Cacophonix

Re: Powered Monitors?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2017, 12:57 am »
Powered monitors have made my life a lot simpler and I couldn’t be more thrilled about them. I had Dynaudio bm5a for a while and now have Emotiva stealth 8. Incredible dynamics, and deep hard hitting bass. Excellent speakers!!
JBL 7 series are next on my radar  :P

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2017, 12:58 am »
Audition the JBL 708p and M2. The 708p is an all integrated unit (amp+dsp in the enclosure). The M2 is also  fully active but the amp/dsp is not integrated into the enclosure.

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2017, 12:57 pm »
Yes!!

Note that:

1.) Please make distinction between active (one channel of power amplification per driver) and powered (one channel of power amplification per speaker).  Powered is simply passive speakers with the power amp (selected by the speaker manufacturer).  Active speakers use a low voltage crossover, so the power amps are located downstream, together is provides many more advantages.
2.) Single driver speakers are active by default (one of my introductions to active design).
3.) Selection of active speakers must be done with care as most are intended for exacting studio work (cheap ones can be dry/fatiguing), versus home audio speakers that are intended to primarily entertain (with exaggerated frequency responses and colorations).  The Emotiva speakers have that sort of studio presentation.  When shopping for active speakers be ready for the audio truth!
4.) Again as most active speakers are intended for studio work they are designed for near-field listening (the aforementioned M2 is obviously meant for in-room mastering), so may have a hard time 'filling the room' and finding reference to this aspect online.
5.) The Bryston approach to active speakers is a hybrid approach, involving very expensive and complex use of multiple external amplification that does allow the consumer to pick his own power amps (thus providing a physiological gateway for passive speaker fans).
6.) The JBL M2 approach is simpler but does require some sort of external crossover.
7.) My favorite sources for reviews of active speakers are soundonsound.com (straight forward, but targeted for studio professionals) and audio stream.com (for audiophiles, associated with Stereophile, but limited to desktop use).
8.) Auditioning active speakers is a challenge has most are sold by professional outlets (like Guitar Center) which don't have decent facilities or ancillary equipment. 
9.) The advantages of active design include amps/drivers matched, amps "see" and so can better react to the driver load, easier to design crossovers, less wasted energy, no speaker cables, costs are lower, increased dynamics, flatter frequency response, and deeper/fuller bass.  Disadvantages include putting more eggs in one basket, can't choose speakers/power amps separately, and less eye candy on display.

Recommendations:

1.) At the low end, the JBL LSR305 (street price $260/pair) is hard to ignore.  I've had it here for extended listening and it's hard to fault at anywhere near it's price.  Rated down to 41 Hz, plenty of guts for a medium sized space, but fits nicely on a desktop.
2.) I love my Dynaudio BM5 MkIII's, but now discontinued.  If replacing would look at the impeccable K&H Neumann 120 (street price $1400/pair) for a medium sized room or it's big brother (3-way) for large rooms.  A consummate studio monitor.
3.) At the top end, start looking at the ATC, JBL M2 (large/only a mother could love), Meridian, and PMC.

dburna

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2017, 01:57 pm »
Recommendations:

1.) At the low end, the JBL LSR305 (street price $260/pair) is hard to ignore.  I've had it here for extended listening and it's hard to fault at anywhere near it's price.  Rated down to 41 Hz, plenty of guts for a medium sized space, but fits nicely on a desktop.
2.) I love my Dynaudio BM5 MkIII's, but now discontinued.  If replacing would look at the impeccable K&H Neumann 120 (street price $1400/pair) for a medium sized room or it's big brother (3-way) for large rooms.  A consummate studio monitor.
3.) At the top end, start looking at the ATC, JBL M2 (large/only a mother could love), Meridian, and PMC.

+1......mostly.

1) Anand and I were talking about this the other night.  The LSR305's are better than they have any right to be, and they are stupid-good for the price.  In many settings -- not just desktop -- you could listen to these quite happily and wonder why anyone pays more for speakers.  If funds (and room size) permit, you could look at the JBL 7 series, a bigger variant of the 3 series.  And this is coming from a JBL non-fanboy.  Many of their speakers have measured fabulously but left me cold.  JBL really hit it with this LSR line.

2) In that $1500 range, the Neumann KH120 is fabulous.  I have a pair and love them.  For the space conscious, these speakers can be out in the room on stands/desktop, but they are also designed to be wall-mounted......with settings to adjust for placement.  Again, for more bucks, the KH310 (speaker lies flat on its side) is supposed to have even more wonderfulness (note: I have never heard them, strictly going by word-of-mouth).

3) Further up the price scale, definitely look into ATC, PMC, and the JBL M2.  However, a demo of these is important.  I can recommend unreservedly the JBL LSR305/708 and the Neumann KH120.  The ATCs and PMCs measure really well, but I have had difficulty falling in love with these.  Many of them have a semi-dry (veering to the edge of clinical....but not quite over the precipice) presentation.  They seem quite controlled and accurate (whatever that means these days), but not fully involving.  YMMV, so you would really need to audition these to know if they are for you.

Enjoy the journey,  -dB

UCrazyKid

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2017, 02:06 pm »
I was going to add the Dynaudio Actives but see that others beat me to it!

For a really good value I would also check out the new active speakers from ELAC. Andrew Jones has done an amazing job at ELAC churning out excellent sounding high value speakers.https://www.elac.com/products/  (select "Active Loudspeaker") at the top of the page to narrow down the list.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:21 pm »
I have a question that is more dum-bee than newbie.

As I understand it, active speakers can have either active x-overs or passive x-overs. With the passive x-overs, the master speaker is connected to the slave via speaker wire.

But with both having the active x-overs, there is no speaker wire between the speakers. How does master ‘speak’ to the slave speaker. Bluetooth?

Or am I completely off base here?

Also, a comment. I’m happy to be just a headphone guy with no 2 channel set-up but have been considering active speakers for the bedroom. Recently I heard these Peachtrees and was inpressed with the sq. Not exactly house rockers if that’s your thing but they were very nice. Should be $369 in the States.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m24-powered-speakers-from-peachtree-audio-bluetooth-usb#/

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:47 pm »
I was going to add the Dynaudio Actives but see that others beat me to it!

For a really good value I would also check out the new active speakers from ELAC. Andrew Jones has done an amazing job at ELAC churning out excellent sounding high value speakers.https://www.elac.com/products/  (select "Active Loudspeaker") at the top of the page to narrow down the list.

Just to clarify the lines of speakers that AJ has designed are Debut, Unifi and Adante. All of these are passive speakers. I do not believe he was involved in ELACs’ other lines.

Best,
Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2017, 04:29 pm »
As I understand it, active speakers can have either active x-overs or passive x-overs. With the passive x-overs, the master speaker is connected to the slave via speaker wire.

But with both having the active x-overs, there is no speaker wire between the speakers. How does master ‘speak’ to the slave speaker. Bluetooth?

I think I can see where you're going Kenneth, and I think you have the right picture in your head, but it's disguised by "non-traditional" terminology. ;) Or I'm totally missing your question...  :duh:

The traditional terminology as I understand it is:
Active crossover filter comes before the amplifier, between the signal source (CD/preamp) and the power amplifier.
Passive crossover filter comes after the power amplifier, between the amp and the driver.
That's the basic, traditional difference between passive and active crossovers.

An active speaker system uses separate power amplifiers for each individual driver. A passive speaker has one amplifier powering all the drivers through the passive crossover.

Passive crossover uses high voltage parts, since the power amplifier puts out high voltage to power the drivers.
Active crossover filter circuits use low voltage "signal level" parts, like 1/4W resistors, etc.

randytsuch

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2017, 05:36 pm »
Another jbl option
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-jbl-lsr30x-powered-speakers

If I didn't have lgk's, I'd probably be looking at these for me desktop.

Oh, and if I had the money  :lol:

fredgarvin

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2017, 05:38 pm »
The AirPulse Model One, designed by Phil Jones, has been gathering a lot of good responses among audiophiles and periodicals.
It is a monitor though and probably won't fill larger spaces.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1117/AirPulse_Model_1_Active_Speaker_Review.htm

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:04 pm »
A great buy on Vanatoos if he ships.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152950.0

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:28 pm »
I think I can see where you're going Kenneth, and I think you have the right picture in your head, but it's disguised by "non-traditional" terminology. ;) Or I'm totally missing your question...  :duh:

The traditional terminology as I understand it is:
Active crossover filter comes before the amplifier, between the signal source (CD/preamp) and the power amplifier.
Passive crossover filter comes after the power amplifier, between the amp and the driver.
That's the basic, traditional difference between passive and active crossovers.

An active speaker system uses separate power amplifiers for each individual driver. A passive speaker has one amplifier powering all the drivers through the passive crossover.

Passive crossover uses high voltage parts, since the power amplifier puts out high voltage to power the drivers.
Active crossover filter circuits use low voltage "signal level" parts, like 1/4W resistors, etc.
Darn I knew I was going to embarass myself, again. Oh, well. Thanks Richidoo very helpful explanation. And yes I was confusing the terminology but I’ve got it now.

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:31 pm »
Focal, Genelec, Barefoot, Neumann, ATC, PSI, Kii, TAD, Grimm, JBL, Dynaudio, Adam, Quested, Unity Audio, KRK, and Mackie.

Between these, you will find something for your needs and budget.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:33 pm »
That's what I'd call a "computer" speaker.  :wink:
That's really not active at all, just passive, with a 2ch amp stuck in one speaker. The same as any passive speaker/amp system, except one wire is really short, the other really long. :lol:

They don't. Here you have a stereo pair, each with an "input"...for your L & R output from your preamp. The stereo preamp "talks" to each channel independently, again just like your typical stereo.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:36 pm »
Just to clarify the lines of speakers that AJ has designed are Debut, Unifi and Adante.
Damn, don't remember doing a single one of those. Must be getting old.

Cacophonix

« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2017, 08:15 pm »
:lol:

Hope you atleast remember about the M1v2 ... any further news on that front?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #17 on: 4 Nov 2017, 12:05 pm »

:lol:

Hope you’re well!

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2017, 12:17 pm »
AJ (not Andrew Jones):

There are many varieties of powered (crossover between power amp and drivers).  Some do have wireless connection between speakers.  Some, as exampled by the AirMotion above, include wireless feeds, DAC's, and subwoofer output (such as the Vanatoo Transparent One, that I heard briefly and liked).  Just like passive 2-way stand-mount speakers powered 2-way designs work quite well for in-room listening (of course depending on your musical tastes and room size).

I'm not aware of any active speakers with wireless connection between the speakers, but the AVI ADM 9RSS and Quad 9AS along with the AirMotion both contain DAC, preamp, and subwoofer outputs.  Sans source, this makes it possible to have the complete audio system contained in two speaker cabinets (plus remote control).  Note that with DAC/preamp, the power amps are all located in one cabinet, thus requiring a speaker cable to connect the two speakers.  Another example of active design is the Munro Egg 150 that uses a 3rd cabinet to house the crossover and power amps, in you guessed it - an egg shaped vented 2-way speaker enclosures. 

So many variations of active/powered speakers are available.

jk@home

« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2017, 11:25 pm »
Another one to consider is the new KEF LS50W.